Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Another rant about the movie. How long have fred and george known that harry has an invisibility cloak?
    I don't think it has been mentioned in the books if they know or don't know about the cloak, has it? But then again, maybe Ron might have told them about it, possibly when he actually got it in the 1st year.
    Btw, is it just me, or did it seem a bit out of charater of Snape to put himself in front of the trio, to protect them against lupin as a werewolf? I mean, it would be totally normal for a teacher to do so, but snape?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I don't think it has been mentioned in the books if they know or don't know about the cloak, has it? But then again, maybe Ron might have told them about it, possibly when he actually got it in the 1st year.
    Btw, is it just me, or did it seem a bit out of charater of Snape to put himself in front of the trio, to protect them against lupin as a werewolf? I mean, it would be totally normal for a teacher to do so, but snape?
    he probably would have done something evil to him, and say he was trying to protect them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think that at one point they went out of their way to keep the twins from finding out. I think the snape thing was the order of merlin idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Where did you get that from?
    when harry and him are having the chat about the bogart at school. I never got that either, I think they just put that in for sentimental value......but nevertheless it adds and follows what we now know (reference book five) as lily's characteristic's........

compassion being a main one of them.

i still think the small detail from the chamber is going to be how house-elves can apparate and dis-apparate into and out of hogwarts. no-one else can, and hogwarts has a sizable army of them. imagine what they could do against the death-eaters.....jk does say sveral times that they have a powerful magic all their own.

ReputationRep:
    Okay everyone, we're having a surprise UKL birthday party for Xenon *passes around butterbeer*. The cake will be here in a few hours. As Xenon is the first of us to reach a year, I would like to propose a toast: To Xenon, the girl who lived a year.

ReputationRep:
    Okay everyone, we're having a surprise UKL birthday party for Xenon *passes around butterbeer*. The cake will be here in a few hours. As Xenon is the first of us to reach a year, I would like to propose a toast: To Xenon, the girl who lived a year.
    ahhhhh...nothing better..

accepts glass *checks to make sure moncal hasn't backwashed (as many arkansans are prone to do ) *

HAPPY B_DAY XENON!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the butterbeer. I'm off for an exam now! But I'll be back for the cake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    But surely they would be shown in the Mirror as they were at the time of their deaths? They wouldn't have aged as Lupin has...
    actually i thought the mirror would have shown what Harry wanted it to show...n he obviously got the image of his parents form all the pictures given to him from Hagrid. So yeah thats 1 reason y they could have looked younger.

Does tthat make sense???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med1)
    hi just saw this thread, thought i'll read every1's comments and thoughts but how the hell am i to read 8530 posts??!lol. i tried reading few pages got up till 2o-sumthing and gave up.
    i was jus wondering a few things -probably already been discussed (sorry) - u know the mirror in book 5 that sirius gives harry - y dint he use that to contact sirius and went to use the fire in umbridges office -would have been alot easier woulnt it?
    and at the first few pages sum1 mentioned harry's mum, lily being a death eater - woz this a joke or is there sumthing in the book hinting it?
    and sumwher else there woz sumthing abt harry being gryffindor heir - wots that woz it in the 2nd book -(read that ages ago - borrowd it off sum1 neva got chance to read it again -cant really remeber wot happens in that book)?
    harry didnt use the mirror to contact Sirius becauses he forgot about it. It says that at the end of book 5 when he finds the mirror again.
    Harrys mum is also not a death eater...see J K Rowlings website (her exact answer to that question was 'How dare you')

ReputationRep:
    i also think that the house elves r gonna have a big part in the next 2 bigs...especially with Hermione.

n even though Snape seems to be pportrayed as being totally evil, i reckon hes also going to save Harry's life later on (or something) just for the shock factor... i mean who would expect that to happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    i still think the small detail from the chamber is going to be how house-elves can apparate and dis-apparate into and out of hogwarts. no-one else can, and hogwarts has a sizable army of them. imagine what they could do against the death-eaters.....jk does say sveral times that they have a powerful magic all their own.
    I thought about that. The power that house elves have might have been the small detail. As you said, they can Apparate and Disapparate inside Hogwarts which is suppose to be impossiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    actually i thought the mirror would have shown what Harry wanted it to show...n he obviously got the image of his parents form all the pictures given to him from Hagrid. So yeah thats 1 reason y they could have looked younger.

Does tthat make sense???
    He didn't get all the pictures from Hagrid until after he had always seen the mirror of erisid.

p.s. *cuts up cake* The humonguos Dobby shapped cake is here. *passes around cake and drags up another box of butterbeer* there's more where this came from.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't get all the pictures from Hagrid until after he had always seen the mirror of erisid.

p.s. *cuts up cake* The humonguos Dobby shapped cake is here. *passes around cake and drags up another box of butterbeer* there's more where this came from.
    hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm cake and butterbeer. It doesn't get any better than this. And we will be celebrating again soon. Our anniversary is coming up. The first of July.

The mirrior of Erisid shows your hearts desire, so he saw all of his family as they looked like when they were last seen alive. I've resentally had a thought. Do you think it's possible that Lilly could be Irish. She has red hair and green eyes which are traits of the Irish.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose she could be, but red hair and green eyes aren't THAT uncommon with other cultures- and look at Petunia, after all-

July 1st! Our countdown is on!

Lupin is ALWAYS described as looking older than his age so this shouldn't be a shock- he's been through alot of stress with the whole werewolf thing- its a common mention with him- in fact, in book 5, after Sirius dies, he's described as looked even OLDER- I like Thewlis though (minus the moustache)

It is NOT odd for Snape to have saved their lives- he's already done that- remember Quirrell trying to throw Harry off his broom in book 1? Or his telling Filch that they were simply in the "wrong place at the wrong time" in Book 2 (although he got nosey right afterwards)- Snape may not LIKE Harry because of the Marauders, but he's NEVER tried to hurt him- he's too loyal to Dumbledore and I'm sure he knows SOMETHING of the prophecy- I think Snape gets a bad rap for being a greasy git- I mean he IS, but he has SOME redeeming qualities- the OWL examiner in Potions said they were very advanced, so he must be a fairly good teacher, even if he is unfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I suppose she could be, but red hair and green eyes aren't THAT uncommon with other cultures- and look at Petunia, after all-

July 1st! Our countdown is on!

Lupin is ALWAYS described as looking older than his age so this shouldn't be a shock- he's been through alot of stress with the whole werewolf thing- its a common mention with him- in fact, in book 5, after Sirius dies, he's described as looked even OLDER- I like Thewlis though (minus the moustache)

It is NOT odd for Snape to have saved their lives- he's already done that- remember Quirrell trying to throw Harry off his broom in book 1? Or his telling Filch that they were simply in the "wrong place at the wrong time" in Book 2 (although he got nosey right afterwards)- Snape may not LIKE Harry because of the Marauders, but he's NEVER tried to hurt him- he's too loyal to Dumbledore and I'm sure he knows SOMETHING of the prophecy- I think Snape gets a bad rap for being a greasy git- I mean he IS, but he has SOME redeeming qualities- the OWL examiner in Potions said they were very advanced, so he must be a fairly good teacher, even if he is unfair
    I suppose your right about that, but you do see alot of Irish women with red hair and green eyes.

Don't forget though that the reason Snape saved Harry's life in book 1 was that he was trying to repay his dept to James. James saved his life remember and thats why he protected Harry, to repay the dept.

ReputationRep:
    Just logged on an realised I may have missed a party for xenon congratulations!

I just realised that harry parents are different in the films aren't they. Theres a photo of them in the third film which is differnt people to the parents in the mirror of erised in film one.

Also the fat lady changed but i thought dawn french was excellent!

Is there any cake left?

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd pop on and say hello.

I've been pretty busy lately. Had work experience, then half term on a school trip straight back into my first exam. Have another next Monday and another the Tuesday after that and I really should be doing some hard core revision (not that I am...0 motivation).

Anyway, as I say, just wanted to nip on, check the thread was still rolling along. I'm probably going to have over 50 pages to read when I get the chance!

Hope everyone is well. I haven't seen the film yet but hear from my family that it is a vast improvement.

Best wishes for those of you also about to undergo examinations etc.

ReputationRep:
    Is Harry Potter 5 out yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Is Harry Potter 5 out yet?
    Yes, its been out for about year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    Just logged on an realised I may have missed a party for xenon congratulations!

I just realised that harry parents are different in the films aren't they. Theres a photo of them in the third film which is differnt people to the parents in the mirror of erised in film one.

Also the fat lady changed but i thought dawn french was excellent!

Is there any cake left?
    I think I missed my own party too. I just finished my last exam today, so didn't come back till about 8, and then I fell asleep. If there's any of the cake left, I'll have a piece! Ooh, and some butterbeer! yea, i gues you are right out Snape Brooklyn. but then again,Harry couldn't have died like that, could he, according to the prophecy.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.