Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    we ended up buying multiple copies of OotP as my sis and I both wanted to read it at the same time!
    I'm not sure if we have 3 or 4 copies of it for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    We have two, for that same reason...

ReputationRep:
    We have two copies of GoF too! Can you imagine how many extra copies people must have bought for this very reason!

ReputationRep:
    We have two copies of GoF too! Can you imagine how many extra copies people must have bought for this very reason!
    We have two copies too. I have one and then my sister bought one from the library for a dollar.

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody watch The Magic Touch of Harry Potter? In it Hermione says that her and ron just added the romantic hints in the movies because they knew it was possible that that is what JKR would write.

ReputationRep:
    When OotP came out I was working at Woolies and one woman bought six or seven copies at once, as soon as the doors opened! It cost her over a hundred quid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    definately house elves n mayb aunt marge
    Aunt Marge isn't in CoS though, she appears in PoA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Did anybody watch The Magic Touch of Harry Potter? In it Hermione says that her and ron just added the romantic hints in the movies because they knew it was possible that that is what JKR would write.
    I reckon that they've been doing that since the first movie. I heard about this little thing (see below)from a friend and tried it out and he is right.

When Harry comes in from the Hospital Wing and Hermione and Ron are talking on the Balconey just before Harry walks into the room turn the volume up really high and you can hear Ron talk about something completly not related to the movie and a bit rude for a PG film.

ReputationRep:
    what does he say?

JK's baby is named David and he was born BEFORE she finished book 5, so she's used to writing with him now- plus, with her money- I'm SURE she has a nanny for him- and she wrote the first ones when Jessica was a baby after all-

last time, Scholastic announced it, but all the news channels took it up so quickly it SOUNDED like they had it first, but scholastic DECIDES the date, so they do say it first

I'm willing to bet she puts it on the website first-

She sold the merchandising to Warner Bros along with the movie rights, but she still gets some amount on royalties for alot of things, like the movies and any books, etc- I don't think she gets anything for those little plastic action figures though... and remember just how many things she has license over to sell- every single candy, wand, hat, robe, word- she could live forever just selling one thing at a time-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    She sold the merchandising to Warner Bros along with the movie rights, but she still gets some amount on royalties for alot of things, like the movies and any books, etc- I don't think she gets anything for those little plastic action figures though... and remember just how many things she has license over to sell- every single candy, wand, hat, robe, word- she could live forever just selling one thing at a time-
    She doesn't have control over the merchandising, but she can stop some of the things. One of them being a Moaning Mytre toilet seat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    If she got royalties for every sweet/hat wand etc she would be the richest person in the world I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    If she got royalties for every sweet/hat wand etc she would be the richest person in the world I'm sure.
    True! If she did, then she could probably BUY the world.. Not to mention own it...

ReputationRep:
    I've finally seen the third flick. I take back everything I said about how it would definitely be a vast improvement over the first two. They've finally done the unthinkable. The makers of the film insist upon glossing over the core element of the Harry Potter saga. That being everything to do with Voldemort. The scene that was most disappointing to me has to be the one in the Shrieking Shack where Harry, Ron, Hermione, Lupin and Black all find out a few unknown truths. I swear that if I'd blinked I would have missed it. Terrible! I remember reading that part of the book at least three times before moving on to the finish, simply because that is the core of the series. To make matters worse, I read somewhere that there is no chance of dividing up the fourth flick in Kill Bill style. JKR, I pity you. You sold the rights to a group of people who are only in it for the money, not reproducing a graphic version of the Harry Potter series. And now the rest of us must suffer that stupid decision. It is feasibly viable to produce Vol.1 and Vol.2 of Book 4 to be released at the same time, and would possibly make even more money whilst still providing a memorable experience.

Does anyone think I'm wrong on this count? Granted the flick is fine for kids, but the kids would still appreciate a better effort from film makers, would they not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    JKR, I pity you.
    But she said she likes the films, didn't she?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the third movie could have explained the whole Maruader's thing a little better but... other than that it was great..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    But she said she likes the films, didn't she?
    I can't see why. It is an abomination of the books. Granted that movies rarely ever come close to the book, but it is still possible to try a little harder than the current developers are doing. Just think of Book 5. They won't even come close to grasping the true depth of the book, whereas they managed to do a fairly good effort on the Lord of the Rings series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erised)
    I thought the third movie could have explained the whole Maruader's thing a little better but... other than that it was great..
    Agreed. Professor Lupin didn't even mention the fact that it was Harry's father, Sirius, Pettigrew and Lupin that made the map. It was just glossed over so much.

ReputationRep:
    She's already richer than the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Agreed. Professor Lupin didn't even mention the fact that it was Harry's father, Sirius, Pettigrew and Lupin that made the map. It was just glossed over so much.
    That's going to come back and bite them in the but later on. When it does, they are just going to add it in wherever they can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    She's already richer than the Queen.
    Not bad for someone who only dreamed of having a book published not so long ago

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.