Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    Harry scar hurts when Vold is feeling a strong emotion- the thing with Umbridge was just a coincidence- he was feeling ridiculously happy then because the deatheaters had broken out of Azkaban, wasn't it? but Harry didn't realize that he was sensing emotion until later when it hurt while he was with Ron (I think we can agree Ron isn't evil)- and he told Ron Voldemort was "angry" over something-
    The dementors escaped at the end of the book didn't they? Umbridge touched him in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    yes, but in the MIDDLE of the book- the DEATHEATERS (Lestrange, etc) escaped from Azkaban

ReputationRep:
    yes, but in the MIDDLE of the book- the DEATHEATERS (Lestrange, etc) escaped from Azkaban
    Okay, sorry I misread your post.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to say that i've finally seen the 3rd movie AND I HAD THE WHOLE CINEMA TO MYSELF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Notice, it said only that vold. would mark him as that. He could have marked neville as an equal by attacking his parents, or in some other way. Notice also that neville is becoming quite adept at using defense magic - with the help of harry. He has two more books to improve even more. No, I remain convinced that the greatest twist of all will be that, when readers fininsh book 7 they will realize that the whole series might as well be entitled Neville Longbottom as opposed to Harry Potter.
    i don't think Neville will ever become so adept at defense magic that he'll be able to beat Voldemort - the whole point of the books is about Voldemort vs Harry isn't it? Perhaps the end fight will involve Harry and Neville joining together to defeat the dark lord?

(Original post by Unregistered)
    harry did ask why vold. didn't wait to see who was stronger. remember what dumbledore said? he said that that may have been the more prudent thing to have done, but that vold. didn't do it. By the way, the prophecy talks about the boy having powers that "the dark lord knows not." What powers does Harry have that vold. doesn't know about, really? none. who might have powers that vold. doesn't know about? neville. just food for thought.
    but has Rowling revealed the true extent of Harry's powers to the readers yet? I believe there'll be more to uncover in the next few books, as with the parseltongue.

ReputationRep:
    yes but it wasnt the same time, i think it hurt then because the next day they found out podmore had been caught, and volde had him under the imperius curse.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished book 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Just want to say that i've finally seen the 3rd movie AND I HAD THE WHOLE CINEMA TO MYSELF
    Congrats. How did you manage that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I just finished book 4.
    Did you like it? Are you reading them in order?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Congrats. How did you manage that?
    It's because i've finished college now, so i went on early Tuesday afternoon (when everyone else was at school).

ReputationRep:
    I have a question as well (something else we can discuss).

How many people know about the Invisibility Cloak (in terms of students)? Obviously Harry, Ron and Herimonie know. But so does Ginny, Fred and George, Luna Lovegood. Anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Um, Moody knows about it too, as does Sirius I think??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Did you like it? Are you reading them in order?
    This was my first one. No I didn't like it. The writing was very poor and t he storyline was really crap. Sorry HP fans!

ReputationRep:
    This was my first one. No I didn't like it. The writing was very poor and t he storyline was really crap. Sorry HP fans!
    It's alright. We don't mind you saying it cos you have at least read one of them, Most HP haters base their opinion on the films and on the first three chapters of book 1.

ReputationRep:
    Someones probably already covered this in this massive thread but one thing bout Harry Potter bothers me....Polyjuice Potion....if it makes people tell the truth whether they want to or not how come people like Sirius ended up in Azhkaban and naughty folk like Mr Malfoy get away with loads of stuff???? As im failry sure there are any civil liberties groupds amongst the magic community.

Im sure there is a proper answer I just cant think of it at the moment

ReputationRep:
    I thought polyjuice potion was the transfiguration potion?

Do you mean Veritaserum?
    edit: I'll assume you do mean veritaserum. I think Sirius didn't even have a trial, and I don't think it would be justified for schoolchildren.

But yeah, I know what you mean. This is why writing magical stories is so hard - too many inconsistencies.

ReputationRep:
    Actually- I read an essay once that explained this away (whether its JKR's reasoning or not, who knows)- first of all, you mean Veritaserum- it makes you tell the truth- veritus means truth- actually, truth serums DO exist here in the muggle world, but they are rarely used then too- here's why-

When a person takes Veritaserum 1) It works better on some people than others- some can resist it 2) They tell the truth to what they are asked- so if you ask- did you open the door at 10am this morning, and they did it at 10:30, their answer will be "no"- and if you ask if they EVER opened the door, and they did once when they were 11, the answer will be "yes"- so getting what you want is pretty difficult 3) When the serum REALLY kicks in, they'll tell everything related to the question- relevant or not- so if you asked if they killed Mr. X- they will start on a long diatribe about how much they HATE Mr. X. and the time Mr. X pushed them in preschool... etc- 4) some have shown to cause brain damage 5) it eliminates the other circumstances- if you asked Sirius if he killed James and Lily- he would say yes- he wouldnt go into the whole reason of his switching to Pettigrew, etc-

I know there was more, but that's all I can remember- however, all that said- I DO think they should use it more often- Also- Sirius went to Azkaban without a trial cause they thought he was Voldie's right hand man- remember?

Anyone else have some ideas on this one?

ReputationRep:
    I thought polyjuice potion was the transfiguration potion?

Do you mean Veritaserum?
    edit: I'll assume you do mean veritaserum. I think Sirius didn't even have a trial, and I don't think it would be justified for schoolchildren.

But yeah, I know what you mean. This is why writing magical stories is so hard - too many inconsistencies.
    He had some type of hearing because dumbledore says that he testified that black had been the potters keeper. I might have been a trial without him present or it might have been a meeting of a few important people that ended with one of them signing the change of permanant address form.

ReputationRep:
    I found some things really confusing in the third movie, like when Hermoine howled and saved Harry from Lupin. Who did itt he first time? Some with the patronus.

ReputationRep:
    that was the timeturner stuff, it had to be there the first time didnt it... because when they go back in time whatever they do affects the what happened the first time...havent explained that very well sorry...do u get me?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.