Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore said he "gave evidence" not that they had a trial- and Sirius himself said it was without trial-

You mean that whatever they tried to do in the second time slot had to be something that WAS done in the first time slot- Harry could save himself from the Dementors because he had already SEEN it done the first time- which is why they couldn't go back and save Pettigrew- because they knew he had escaped the FIRST time slot- make sense or not really at all?

ReputationRep:
    All this time stuff is a bit confusing.

ReputationRep:
    The way that I can work it out, the "first time" it had to have happened differently. Then the "first time" that harry and Hermione used the time turner they did something differently than how it had been done and this was repeated every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I have a question as well (something else we can discuss).

How many people know about the Invisibility Cloak (in terms of students)? Obviously Harry, Ron and Herimonie know. But so does Ginny, Fred and George, Luna Lovegood. Anyone else.
    obviously dumbledore knows. Do you think Snape knows? He may have known James had one and deduced that Harry may have inherited it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I found some things really confusing in the third movie, like when Hermoine howled and saved Harry from Lupin. Who did itt he first time? Some with the patronus.
    Time travel is always confusing. Because harry and hermione travelled back in time from the hospital wing to the point when hermione howls, there were two harrys and two hermiones existing at that point in time. One of them that was meant to be there, (being chased by the werewolf), and the other harry and hermione that had travelled back from the future. Same thing for the patronus.

Don't know if that makes any sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I have a question as well (something else we can discuss).

How many people know about the Invisibility Cloak (in terms of students)? Obviously Harry, Ron and Herimonie know. But so does Ginny, Fred and George, Luna Lovegood. Anyone else.
    I believe it is just Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Lupin, Black, Snape, the rat, Crookshanks, and dobby. I don't think that Ginny, Fred, George, and Luna do. Or do they? Did they take the cloak to the thestrels in book 5. Even so, I'm pretty sure that Fred and George don't know about it (except in the movie).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I believe it is just Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Lupin, Black, Snape, the rat, Crookshanks, and dobby. I don't think that Ginny, Fred, George, and Luna do. Or do they? Did they take the cloak to the thestrels in book 5. Even so, I'm pretty sure that Fred and George don't know about it (except in the movie).
    Which means that they're changing the truth of the stories.

ReputationRep:
    The power that voldemort doesn't know harry has, has already been explained by dumbledore. It is the power of love which his mother left when she died to protect him, thats why he defeated quirell remember, we do not know the full extent of this power yet though.

Way back on this thread I said I didn't get the time turner thing, I read the book about 15 times but the theory doesn't really work.

If harry had been with sirus at the lake the "first time" he would have died without the patronus so then how would he have benn able to go and use the time turner to create the patronus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Do the rest of the Order know about the cloak? I have vague recollections of it being mentioned when they rescue him from the Dursleys and use that spell on him to make him look like his surroundings. Might have made that uop though! Need to reread the 5th book again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    If harry had been with sirus at the lake the "first time" he would have died without the patronus so then how would he have benn able to go and use the time turner to create the patronus?
    At the first time at the lake Present Harry (the Harry the story is with) was with Sirius. Future Harry was on the other side of the lake. The story continues with present Harry until he gets to the point on the other side of the lake and casts the Patronus at Past Harry. At this point Future Harry is off doing what ever happens 4 hours later. Present Harry continues with the story and Past Harry eventually gets to the other side of the lake etc. Present Harry doesn't die because Future harry saves him, Future Harry didn't die because Future Future Harry saved him and so on and so forth!

Very confusing, but it does make sense. Gives you a bit of a headache if you think about it too much though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    The power that voldemort doesn't know harry has, has already been explained by dumbledore. It is the power of love which his mother left when she died to protect him, thats why he defeated quirell remember, we do not know the full extent of this power yet though.

Way back on this thread I said I didn't get the time turner thing, I read the book about 15 times but the theory doesn't really work.

Is I said the earlier, the first it had to have happened without the patronus. So when they went back in time harry decided to improve the situation and did this by producing the patronus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Do the rest of the Order know about the cloak? I have vague recollections of it being mentioned when they rescue him from the Dursleys and use that spell on him to make him look like his surroundings. Might have made that uop though! Need to reread the 5th book again!
    He asked moody if he should use it. Then moody rants about the faults of invisibility cloaks.

ReputationRep:
    How long do you reckon the next book is going to be?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    probably 1000 pages even though Jo said it wouldn't be that long.

ReputationRep:
    since Moody knows about the cloak (see book 4) we know the rest of the order knows- he wouldn't keep that a secret- and I'm SURE Ginny knows- she's not dumb- and actually most of the school probably knows- remember what happened with Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle in book 3? the mud? so at LEAST they know-

there WAS a patronus to save Harry in the first time period- he just thought it came from his father- but it actually came from him, from the second time period, having used the time turner- he could do it because he already knew it HAD been done- he wasn't changing anything, just fufilling the way it had already happened- it DOES get confusing-

here's a question for a new discussion- Harry's bogart was a dementor, right? and it had all the dementor's powers- so how come since Lupin's was the full moon, it didn't turn him into a werewolf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I do hope its the same size as book 5

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for trying to explain it again, not sure if I get it yet but i'm not gonna let it bother me.

I think the next book will be shorter but still bigger than the first three books.

Thats a good point about the dementor and the moon, i dunno the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    At the first time at the lake Present Harry (the Harry the story is with) was with Sirius. Future Harry was on the other side of the lake. The story continues with present Harry until he gets to the point on the other side of the lake and casts the Patronus at Past Harry. At this point Future Harry is off doing what ever happens 4 hours later. Present Harry continues with the story and Past Harry eventually gets to the other side of the lake etc. Present Harry doesn't die because Future harry saves him, Future Harry didn't die because Future Future Harry saved him and so on and so forth!

Very confusing, but it does make sense. Gives you a bit of a headache if you think about it too much though!
    Doesn't Lexinton have the timeline for this.

The werid thing is that i understand it perfectally. Properly cos i spent my childhood watching films like Back to the Future, so i can understand the fact that there can be one people can share the same space in time in two different places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    here's a question for a new discussion- Harry's bogart was a dementor, right? and it had all the dementor's powers- so how come since Lupin's was the full moon, it didn't turn him into a werewolf?
    In the film, Lupin says that it would be much worse if it had been a real dementor. So as it wasn't the real moon, it couldn't effect him in the way the real one did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    In the film, Lupin says that it would be much worse if it had been a real dementor. So as it wasn't the real moon, it couldn't effect him in the way the real one did.
    That's what I thought. But he still didn't seem to show any signs of any change in appearance or anything.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.