Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    By the way, parvati. You've forgotten this

Things You May Have Missed
    JKR leaves lots of extremely subtle story-line and future plot clues that are very easy to miss.
    Example:

They could hear footsteps, Filch running as fast as he could towards Peeves' shouts.
    "Oh, move over," Hermione snarled. She grabbed Harry's wand, tapped the lock and whispered, "Alohomora!"
    The lock clicked and the door swung open -- they piled through it, shut it quickly and pressed their ears against it, listening.
    "Which way did they go Peeves?" Filch was saying. "Quick, tell me."
    "Say 'please.'"
    "Don't mess with me, Peeves, now where did they go?"
    "Shan't say nothing if you don't say please," said Peeves in his annoying singsong voice. (Book 1, Chapter 9)

Then, as you know, they turn around to face Fluffy who is glaring at them and about to attack. Now, they were inside that room for quite a while listening to Peeves and Filch before they turned around to see Fluffy. Why didn't Fluffy attack as soon as they entered the room? Possibly because of Peeves' singsong voice, which might have started putting Fluffy to sleep. Fluffy didn't start baring his teeth until after Filch and Peeves had left.

Professor Quirrel, in his absurd turban, was talking to teacher with greasy black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin.
    It happened very suddenly. The hook-nosed teacher looked past Quirrel's turban straight into Harry's eyes -- and a sharp, hot pain shot across the scar on Harry's forehead.

Raise your hand if you figured out that that sharp burst of pain did not come from Snape, but from Quirrel's turban, where Voldemort was "hiding."

'In that case, perhaps we can return to my list.' said Mr Malfoy shortly. 'I am in something of a hurry, Borgin, I have important business elsewhere today.' (Book 2, Chapter 4)

Notice how subtle that hint was! JKR has just told us Mr Malfoy is doing something else today that may affect the story line: he ends up in Flourish and Blotts next and puts the diary into Ginny's cauldron. What was his business? And did it involve the diary somehow?

May not be to do with Book 6, but it gives you a hint of what to expect of JK.

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys read this

http://www.livejournal.com/community...l?thread=39101

It's abit rude, OK it's really rude. But otherwise it's really funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Have you guys read this

http://www.livejournal.com/community...l?thread=39101

It's abit rude, OK it's really rude. But otherwise it's really funny.
    That's good for a few cheap laughs.

ReputationRep:
    it is kind of funny

I think the room she's talking about is Dumbledore's office- they go so far as to put a tour of it on the DVD, it has a GRIFFIN knocker on the DOOR (get it? nudge nudge) and its always described so interestingly in the book- the little clicking objects, the portraits, the sorting hat who "picks stuff up" there- the way she writes it sounds like she would want to really poke around in there

ReputationRep:
    I'll go into a bit more details- we already know it has Godric Gryffindor's sword and hat (the Sorting hat) portraits of all past headmasters that are sworn to help DUmbledore out- a bunch of clicking whirring things (one of which made the snake) - a atronomy lab, a pensieve, lots of books, perhaps a shortage of socks , Fawkes and his perch- a door with a griffin knocker (I haven't figured out how that would look without looking like an eagle..... an eagle-

this has struck me- isn't a Gryffin a mix of the lion and the eagle? which is why they use it to symbolize the joining of American and England all the time- so does that mean it has something to do with the combination of a Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw? isn't their symbol an eagle? not a raven? maybe something with Luna? I still hope she ends up with Neville

ReputationRep:
    The ravenclaw logo does look more like an eagle than a raven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I'll go into a bit more details- we already know it has Godric Gryffindor's sword and hat (the Sorting hat) portraits of all past headmasters that are sworn to help DUmbledore out- a bunch of clicking whirring things (one of which made the snake) - a atronomy lab, a pensieve, lots of books, perhaps a shortage of socks , Fawkes and his perch- a door with a griffin knocker (I haven't figured out how that would look without looking like an eagle..... an eagle-
    And from that, we come back to our old theory that Fawkes use to belong to Godric Gryffindor that that Dumbledore is the heir of Gryffindor.

this has struck me- isn't a Gryffin a mix of the lion and the eagle? which is why they use it to symbolize the joining of American and England all the time- so does that mean it has something to do with the combination of a Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw? isn't their symbol an eagle? not a raven? maybe something with Luna? I still hope she ends up with Neville
    When you think about it, Ravenclaw is the house that we know least about. All we know is that they are the ones with the brains, their Head of House is Proffeser Flitwick, their ghost is the Grey Lady and that they have a tower like Gryffindor. We don't know much about their students.

ReputationRep:
    What do the numbers in the brckets mean btw?

(Original post by parvati)
    General Facts Not Disclosed in the Books
    James Potter inherited lots of money, so he didn't need a well-paying profession.
    So he could have been a teacher!

The Hogwarts teachers do not stay at Hogwarts during the Christmas holidays. Filch, Hagrid, and Dumbledore do.
    We also know that McGonagall and Trelawney stay and possibly a couple of others (I can't think of any more for definate off the top of my head) They're mentioned at verious points in the books, (eg, when 13 dine together etc)

A few of the Hogwarts professors have spouses, but that information is restricted for reasons we will find out about later. (5)
    Hmm, interesting, I wonder why. I guess they need to protect the professors or something, could be used to get to Dumbledore?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what reason they could have for restricting the information about the spouses- unless people would bug them about their kids grades? heehee- what if Snape and McGonagall are married

I'm guessing the "reason" actually has something to do with the Hogwarts wards? and wouldn't it be awful to be married to a professor and only see them holidays?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what reason they could have for restricting the information about the spouses- unless people would bug them about their kids grades? heehee- what if Snape and McGonagall are married

I'm guessing the "reason" actually has something to do with the Hogwarts wards? and wouldn't it be awful to be married to a professor and only see them holidays?
    We know that teachers don't have to stay at hogwarts all the time because dumbledore and Hagrid both leave at times. All the teachers would have to do is walk to hogsmeade and then apparate home. Only the house teachers would have to stay overnight.

ReputationRep:

Maybe dumbledore and I cant spell her name are married?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Maybe dumbledore and I cant spell her name are married?

McGonagoll? Thats not likely. Headmaster and deputy headmistress would not be allowed to be related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    What do the numbers in the brckets mean btw?
    The numbers in brackets are references from which the facts have been taken from.
    The link to the mugglenet book six facts which has links to the references is: http://www.mugglenet.com/books/booksix/facts.shtml

ReputationRep:
    I still wonder if Dumbledore is married to a muggle! Would explain his knowledge of muggle sweets, and the fact that he recognised that his scar actually resembles a map of the Underground!

ReputationRep:
    maybe something with Luna? I still hope she ends up with Neville
    I hope Neville and Luna do, they would make a cute couple. Maybe Harry and Luna will date breifly in book 6 then Luna will get together with Neville!

ReputationRep:
    I hope Neville and Luna do, they would make a cute couple. Maybe Harry and Luna will date breifly in book 6 then Luna will get together with Neville!
    Harry is way too practical for Luna.

P.s. With this post I now have the same number of posts in this thread as pr1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Harry is way too practical for Luna.

P.s. With this post I now have the same number of posts in this thread as pr1.
    Guess I was thinking he may cos he feels sorry for her and Ginny may be unavailable (I don't think Harry has begun to see GInny yet in tht light but will eventually)

I woner if Dumbledore has any children (they must be grown up, obviously) hence any grandchildren at Hogwarts?

ReputationRep:
    Guess I was thinking he may cos he feels sorry for her and Ginny may be unavailable (I don't think Harry has begun to see GInny yet in tht light but will eventually)

I woner if Dumbledore has any children (they must be grown up, obviously) hence any grandchildren at Hogwarts?
    I think that he probably had a wife at some point. I imagine that his wife was killed by some wizard. Maybe Grindewald.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I think that he probably had a wife at some point. I imagine that his wife was killed by some wizard. Maybe Grindewald.
    Sounds like that could intirely be possible. The only time we may meet Dumbledore's family would be when (if) he dies though.

ReputationRep:
    it is kind of funny

I think the room she's talking about is Dumbledore's office- they go so far as to put a tour of it on the DVD, it has a GRIFFIN knocker on the DOOR (get it? nudge nudge) and its always described so interestingly in the book- the little clicking objects, the portraits, the sorting hat who "picks stuff up" there- the way she writes it sounds like she would want to really poke around in there
    I was initially thinking it would be the room of requirements. But Dumbledore's office does have some interesting things which may offer some help to him in the future.
    Another room it may be is the chamber of secrets. (I can't recall if it was destroyed and don't have CoS on me right now as am at work and its late so my memory's gone to sleep). Maybe Tom Riddle left something of his accidentally that may inadvertantly help Harry later. Worth a revisit

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.