Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    Its really interesting that there may be an important pillar in the chamber of secrets. Reminds me of JK's comment that there is one room in Hogwarts that Harry has been in but does not realise its significance. This now quite strongly points to that room being the chamber of secrets!
    Hmmm, I wasn't so convinced about the pillar in the chamber theory until I read this post, it does seem to fit. Guess we're just gonna have to wait for the official announcement though.

And Xenon, you forgot about me again! I always get forgotten! I've been here for ages too!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Its really interesting that there may be an important pillar in the chamber of secrets. Reminds me of JK's comment that there is one room in Hogwarts that Harry has been in but does not realise its significance. This now quite strongly points to that room being the chamber of secrets!
    I've just read a post on mugglenet that suggested the the 4 founders of Hogwarts were the original 4 pillars.... The Sorting Hats song in OoTP.. haven't got my copy to hand, but that could be another clue if anyone could look it up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Hmmm, I wasn't so convinced about the pillar in the chamber theory until I read this post, it does seem to fit. Guess we're just gonna have to wait for the official announcement though.

And Xenon, you forgot about me again! I always get forgotten! I've been here for ages too!
    She metioned my name among the new members which is a surprice cos she usually forgets. Remember that news thread a while back. I was really mad that my name was metioned among the new posters.

ReputationRep:
    I've just read an ineresting cooment by someone that the special thing about Lily may have been her ability to love a person who noone else could. Thats what was so special about Lily, and love I guess is the most powerful magic of all. That may be JK's big message about the Harry Potter saga. Guess the beatles had it right (all u need is love...)
    No offence, but i think people are reading too much into the "love" thing. I know that it's the reason that Harry survived, but i don't think that JK would use it too often. Otherwise pratcally everyone would figure out the story plot.

EDIT: 600th post. Prove that i spend way too much time here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    I've just read a post on mugglenet that suggested the the 4 founders of Hogwarts were the original 4 pillars.... The Sorting Hats song in OoTP.. haven't got my copy to hand, but that could be another clue if anyone could look it up?
    Oo, sounds interesting, unfortunately I don't have my copy to hand either. Did it actually say that there were 12 pillars or were there just 12 in the film?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    In OooP, chapter 11 the sorting hat's new song mentions...

The houses that, like pillars four,
    Had once held up our school,
    Now turned upon each other and,
    Divided sought to rule.

ReputationRep:

Divided sought to rule.
    You sure it says that. Mind you, I don't remember the sorting hats song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    You sure it says that. Mind you, I don't remember the sorting hats song.
    have the book in front of me right now!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oo, sounds interesting, unfortunately I don't have my copy to hand either. Did it actually say that there were 12 pillars or were there just 12 in the film?
    I think there were 12 pillars in the Chamber of Secrets

ReputationRep:

Divided sought to rule.
    Hmmm, guess I'd just figured that it was a metaphor, but I guess it could be referring to actual pillars

ReputationRep:
    the sorting hat advises that the hogwarts houses must unite against their common foes rather than continueing their rivalry amonst eachother

ReputationRep:
    the sorting hat advises that the hogwarts houses must unite against their common foes rather than continueing their rivalry amonst eachother
    Didn't it say somehwere that the sorting hats song was significant, or was it just that they needed to make love not war? I guess that bits still to happen coz we haven't really seen anyone joining up with the Slytherins

ReputationRep:
    In times of old when I was new
    And Hogwarts barely started
    The founders of our noble school
    Thought never to be parted.

United by a common goal,
    They had the selfsame yearning,
    To make the world's best magic school
    And pass along their learning.

'Together we will build and teach!'
    The four good friends decided
    And never did they dream that they
    Might some day be divided,

For were there such friends anywhere
    As Slytherin and Gryffindor?
    Unless it was the second pair
    Of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw?

So how could it have gone so wrong?
    How could such friendships fail?
    Why, I was there and so can tell
    The whole sad, sorry tale.

Said Slytherin, 'We'll teach just those
    Whose ancestry is purest.'
    Said Ravenclaw, 'We'll teach those whose
    Intelligence is surest.'

Said Gryffindor, 'We'll teach all those
    With brave deeds to their name,'
    Said Hufflepuff, Til teach the lot,
    And treat them just the same.'

These differences caused little strife
    When first they came to light,
    For each of the four founders had
    A house in which they might

Take only those they wanted, so,
    For instance, Slytherin
    Took only pure-blood wizards
    Of great cunning, just like him,

And only those of sharpest mind
    Were taught by Ravenclaw
    While the bravest and the boldest
    Went to daring Gryffindor.

Good Hufflepuff, she took the rest,
    And taught them all she knew,
    Thus the houses and their founders
    Retained friendships firm and true.

So Hogwarts worked in harmony
    For several happy years,
    But then discord crept among us
    Feeding on our faults and fears.

Divided, sought to rule.

And for a while it seemed the school
    Must meet an early end,
    What with duelling and with jighting
    And the clash of friend on friend

And at last there came a morning
    When old Slytherin departed
    And though the fighting then died out
    He left us quite downhearted.

And never since the founders four
    Were whittled down to three
    Have the houses been united
    As they once were meant to be.

And now the Sorting Hat is here
    And you all know the score:
    I sort you into houses
    Because that is what I'm for,

But this year I'll go further,
    Listen closely to my song:
    Though condemned I am to split you
    Still I worry that it's wrong,

Though I must fulfil my duty
    And must quarter everv year
    Still I wonder whether Sorting
    May not bring the end I fear.

Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
    The warning history shows,
    For our Hogwarts is in danger
    From external, deadly foes

And we must unite inside her
    Or we'll crumble from within
    I have told you, I have warned you...
    Let the Sorting now begin.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, thinking about things a little more, why would the chamber of secrets, which had been the hideout of slytherin and voldie, contain a pillar of parental love? Hardly seems the sort of thing either of those would have created! However I'm still convinced there are more secrets that Harry needs to uncover inside the chamber. Voldie or even slytherin may have left things that may inadvertantly help harry there

ReputationRep:
    Actually, thinking about things a little more, why would the chamber of secrets, which had been the hideout of slytherin and voldie, contain a pillar of parental love? Hardly seems the sort of thing either of those would have created! However I'm still convinced there are more secrets that Harry needs to uncover inside the chamber. Voldie or even slytherin may have left things that may inadvertantly help harry there
    Ah, good point, also, the Chamber was created by Slytherin, so why would it contain pillars for the other 3 founders?

ReputationRep:
    Had another thought!
    If there is such a pillar (of storge), it may be inside the department of mysteries, just like the veil (of death?) is.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, good point, also, the Chamber was created by Slytherin, so why would it contain pillars for the other 3 founders?
    The sorting hat may have meant pillars in a metaphorical sense. But can anyone remember anywhere else in the books where any pillar has been mentioned. JK does sometimes leave clues in previous books about the next one. She may have subtley mentioned a pillar somewhere!

ReputationRep:

Oh dear, am really sorry (again). I even had your name in my head when looking for the page.

ReputationRep:
    More GoF cast have been announced.

Copied direct from Mugglenet:

Roger Lloyd-Pack - Barty Crouch (Trigger from Only Fools and Horses, thought definately not when I first heard, but the more I look at the picture the more I think he might just be able to pull it off)

Pedrag Bjelic - Igor Karkaroff (Not been in much I've heard of but is 'Italian Guy at Vatican' in Eurotrip, not entirely convinced by the picture I've seen though, he looks a bit too good looking)

Jeff Rawle - Amos Diggory (Been in a lot of British TV shows, not many that I remember though, looks the part I think, although I imagined him with dirty blond hair)

David Tennant - Barty Crouch Jr. (again, has been in nothing I've heard off and I can't find a picture at the minute)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Perhaps there are 3 other Chambers elsewhere in Hogwarts?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.