Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    honestly, I think it's either Tom Riddle or the Mark Evans thing or someone brand new- that was a really smart idea Xenon!! It would entirely explain why she answered new questions instead of the one we voted for-

anyway, she said when that was going to be the title that there was a whole other pack of information in the book, but when she changed the title she removed it and knew it would go in book 6- so there doesn't neccessarily have to be anyone who was mentioned in book 2

the Dobby thing DOES make me think its Tom Riddle- he referred to him in just that way- saying he who must not be named could be freely named, so he wasn't Voldemort-
    I'm sure the additional info is about Tom's mother.. the witch who died immediately after he was born... there's a whole pack of information about her and her family that could have been taken out of CoS

ReputationRep:
    But we already know that she came from Slytherin's line- what else about her could matter? Other than that she fell in love with a muggle loser? which is rather un-Slytherin of her....

ReputationRep:
    sorry- being stupid- suppose it would take 985 posts to do it- my math's off....
    Now that really would be a record!
    I forgot, JK said that it's not Voldie or Harry who is the prince, but she didn't say about Tom Riddle. So contenders are
    strong: Tom Riddle, Mark Evans ,maybe Salazar Slytherin
    not as likely: Neville, Colin/Dennis

Any more contenders? Who could the prince be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    I'm sure the additional info is about Tom's mother.. the witch who died immediately after he was born... there's a whole pack of information about her and her family that could have been taken out of CoS
    thats a good point! Didnt JK say that we would learn more about the circumstances of tom riddle's birth (or was it the birth of voldie, does anyone remember?)

ReputationRep:
    anyway, she said when that was going to be the title that there was a whole other pack of information in the book, but when she changed the title she removed it and knew it would go in book 6- so there doesn't neccessarily have to be anyone who was mentioned in book 2
    Thats true, it may be someone she removed when she got rid of that chapter which will now be in book 6. But then, there is still a big clue in book two, what if the clue is about who the HBP is?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about third post in a row (I have nothing better to do!)

Just had a thought, if Petunia turns out to be the person who can do magic late in life, and vernon is quite obviously the biggest muggle in the universe, then doesn't that make dudley a half-blood...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    Sorry about third post in a row (I have nothing better to do!)

Just had a thought, if Petunia turns out to be the person who can do magic late in life, and vernon is quite obviously the biggest muggle in the universe, then doesn't that make dudley a half-blood...!
    Nooooooooooo, please no. I do not want Dudley to be the half-blooded prince. I can't stand him.
    I guess we really do need to find out more about petunia, and the reason why she hates Lily so much, which I'm sure we will find out.

ReputationRep:
    don't know if this has been mentioned before but what about godric gryffindor? he was mentioned in CoS, plus he's got the whole 'sword' thing, kinda prince-like?

plus, why is there so much speculation surrounding mark evans? has jk mentioned him recently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krow1209)
    don't know if this has been mentioned before but what about godric gryffindor? he was mentioned in CoS, plus he's got the whole 'sword' thing, kinda prince-like?
    Good point.

So the contenders so far are:

1. Tom Riddle
    2. Salazar Slytherin
    3. Godric Gryffindor (though not as prominent in CoS as the above 2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    Good point.

So the contenders so far are:

1. Tom Riddle
    2. Salazar Slytherin
    3. Godric Gryffindor (though not as prominent in CoS as the above 2)

I just don't buy the Slytherin idea- its just too far fetched considering all we know about him.

The Mark Evans speculation has always been there- I guess I would say the choices are more like:
    1. Tom Riddle
    2. Godric Gryffindor
    3. Mark Evans
    4. New Character
    5. Harry Potter
    6. Some minor character

If looking at this as a new question, the new character seems the most likely- but when looking at this while remembering what she said about CoS, Tom Riddle seems the most likely.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it the thread's BIRTHDAY??????? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Now that really would be a record!
    I forgot, JK said that it's not Voldie or Harry who is the prince, but she didn't say about Tom Riddle. So contenders are
    strong: Tom Riddle, Mark Evans ,maybe Salazar Slytherin
    not as likely: Neville, Colin/Dennis

Any more contenders? Who could the prince be?
    I really think it's Neville! I know he's an unlikely choice but JKR has really started focusing on him and his parents in the last two books; he's actually growing out of that pretty annoying slapstick comedy character that she first labelled him as, and we're finding out more and more about him and his family.

...And who's Mark Evans? Have I missed out a whole chunk of book or am I just being incredibly stupid? :rolleyes: Could somebody please explain? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airie_faerie)
    ...And who's Mark Evans? Have I missed out a whole chunk of book or am I just being incredibly stupid? :rolleyes: Could somebody please explain? Thanks
    Mark Evans was discussed earlier in the thread, but as far as I remember, he's, as it stands at the moment, a minor character who's mentioned in book 5 (?!) as "one of Dudley's victims" who just happens to live near Harry in Little Whinging. The significance of his surname hasn't been confirmed as yet has it?

Apologies if that's totally wrong, I haven't read OOTP for a while - am re-reading PoA at the moment... SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM!!!

ReputationRep:
    Mark Evans was mentioned briefly in the beginning of book 5- Harry said something like "I know you beat up Mark Evans the other day. Like to pick on ten year olds?" or something along those lines- it was noticed by fans all over because

1) This is the book where we ALSO learn Lily's maiden name was Evans and

2) he is ten in book five, which means he'll be 11 (and ready for Hogwarts) in book 6 and

3) although everyone has been voting to find out on JK's site, she is neither saying who he is nor giving a date for when she answers the question

ReputationRep:
    I just don't buy the Slytherin idea- its just too far fetched considering all we know about him.

The Mark Evans speculation has always been there- I guess I would say the choices are more like:
    1. Tom Riddle
    2. Godric Gryffindor
    3. Mark Evans
    4. New Character
    5. Harry Potter
    6. Some minor character

If looking at this as a new question, the new character seems the most likely- but when looking at this while remembering what she said about CoS, Tom Riddle seems the most likely.
    I still think Slytherin is not that far fetched. After all, tom riddle wanted to complete slytherin's noble work despite being half-blood himself. Because HBP was to be a title for CoS, as the book was mainly about slytherin's chamber and Tom riddle, I think it must refer to one of these.

She's already said HBP is not Voldie or Harry

ReputationRep:
    OH yeah and Happy anniversary to the thread
    (where is everybody, lets celebrate!)

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah,

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HP THREAD

Here's the history of this thread, to inform all of you about the troubles and triumphs of the ultimate HP thread:
    1 year old this thread is! It became the longest thread on UKL long ago. Not that the thread hasn't had it's troubles along it's way! One time, we were very short of posters. That was a pretty tough time. This was before any, many members, inc Dude, Sire...There was me, siriusfan, Egan1, CR3 and ditzy (sorry!). Then Ollie came and changed the title, and soon after, the number of posters slowly increased, and now look at the number. This all happened at the grand old age of page 29 (it seemed a lot at the time)
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t23812-29.html
    After that, the thread was closed twice (when I was on holiday), but it's survived thanks to many committed posters. And now look at the thread! We celebrated 1000 votes on the poll, and most recently, we have had our 9000th post on the thread! Also, we now have about 98 members have post 5 times or more.

Ok, I think that it's time to crack open the butterbeer bottles. I've brought the bottles. *Hands out the bottles* Other people have to bring other stuff to the party!

ReputationRep:
    3) although everyone has been voting to find out on JK's site, she is neither saying who he is nor giving a date for when she answers the question
    I think that's proof that Mark Evans will play at least some part in one of the last 2 books, and will probably be introduced next year. It just seems more likely that he will enter hogwarts next year. The age can't just be a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    The age can't just be a coincidence.
    I don't think anything JK Rowling writes can be "just a coincidence" if it's something like this - she always has her reasons lol

Actually, re-reading PoA, I never noticed before that Cedric Diggory was made quidditch captain in this book... then, next book along, she gets him killed by old moldy wart. No, I don't think it's a coincidence! lol

ReputationRep:
    Yay, 1 year! So old! Does this mean its the oldest as well as the longest thread?

I like the idea of Mark Evans being the prince best, I really don't want it to be an established character, think that might be a bit lame. It could still be a new character, it would be easy enough to just write a character out, just take out all the main bits of story and have someone else say any reamining lines.

They interviewed Stephen Fry on the radio this morning, he wasn't giving much away but has said that JKR has promised him that HBP won't be longer than OotP (apparently OotP is 29 hours worth of audio tape, a hell of a lot of studio time for Stephen Fry when he was recording it!)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.