Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Yay, 1 year! So old! Does this mean its the oldest as well as the longest thread?

I like the idea of Mark Evans being the prince best, I really don't want it to be an established character, think that might be a bit lame. It could still be a new character, it would be easy enough to just write a character out, just take out all the main bits of story and have someone else say any reamining lines.

They interviewed Stephen Fry on the radio this morning, he wasn't giving much away but has said that JKR has promised him that HBP won't be longer than OotP (apparently OotP is 29 hours worth of audio tape, a hell of a lot of studio time for Stephen Fry when he was recording it!)
    Th thread may be the oldest thread which is still being used. Oh, I don't mind having HP book 6 the same length as book 5, or even longer, but it might be annoying for ry to have to read aloud for that long!

ReputationRep:
    I was wonding if people forgot that it was the threads birthday. Not much of a celebration really when you compare it to some of our others (like Xenons member birthday).

I think I'll PM Ollie to update the FAQ about the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I was wonding if people forgot that it was the threads birthday. Not much of a celebration really when you compare it to some of our others (like Xenons member birthday).

I think I'll PM Ollie to update the FAQ about the thread.
    1 reason for lack of members on celebrating is because Moncal and Padfoot are on oldiday. I forgot to mention it. But where are the other members? Oh well, more butter beer for us. What about some more food Dude? You bringng some?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    1 reason for lack of members on celebrating is because Moncal and Padfoot are on oldiday. I forgot to mention it. But where are the other members? Oh well, more butter beer for us. What about some more food Dude? You bringng some?
    Well i can bring Fire Whisky for us older members and peanuts .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Well i can bring Fire Whisky for us older members and peanuts .
    What about hogsmede fudge, and every flavour beans? Oh well, they are sent on behalf of the absent Moncal and Padfoot.

ReputationRep:
    I've just eaten but a Hogwarts feast would be appropriate to celebrate! BTW is butterbeer intoxicating, as the kids are allowed to have it. I thought it did have some effects like on that house elfe (winky?)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i left, but my sister wanted the phone adn then i went out. I take it that the party has finished then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Sorry i left, but my sister wanted the phone adn then i went out. I take it that the party has finished then?
    Did it actualy get started? Well, at least a few of us got to enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Did it actualy get started? Well, at least a few of us got to enjoy it.
    Maybe we should pospone it. Till Padfoot and Ditzy are here to enjoy it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Maybe we should pospone it. Till Padfoot and Ditzy are here to enjoy it as well.
    And Moncal. Sire and many otthers seem to have disappeared. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    wow... this thread is amazing, Happy B-day HP thread! i wish i could have been part of it in its earlier days, but i've always been kind of intimidated by how busy it is - until now!
    as for the candidates for HBP:
    Tom Riddle - Voldie, Riddle, same thing; I believe JKR meant to include all other pseudonyms of this dude when she said that Voldemort was not the HBP
    Harry - heeelllo, listen to JKR - he isn't
    Neville - he's pureblood, ppl
    Colin - woah, i reeeaaallly hope not
    Dudley - i think Petunia is officially a Muggle
    Slytherin or Gryffindor - i've always believed them to be purebloods... but its possible
    Mark Evans - interesting, but I always thought that he was kind of a red herring. the only way i'd accept it is if he was a very distant relative of Harry.
    A new character - I'm all for it! i think this is the most likely option

has any1 thought that this prince may not just be half blood wizard - what if he was half blood human? like hagrid... but i don't think it's him.
    PS i got the '3 year' thing from mugglenet.com. tsk tsk, they made a mistake...

ReputationRep:
    i've just thought... didnt fudge say at Harry's hearing that they have records of witches and wizards and that their were none besides Harry in his area?? i think these ppl can even detect them b4 they turn 11, so doesnt that rule out Mark being magic? because JKR said that Hogwarts has a special thing that detects wizards and witches when they are born, and then sends letters to them when they turn eleven. urg, i cant wait until JKR answers her FAQ poll question. i kno how to vote more than once, you haf to find the file jkrowling.sol on your computer and delete it, then you can do everything again... find the secrets, vote on the FAQ poll, etc.

ReputationRep:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY THREAD!!! Dont forget the time difference throws some of us off the parties

Chocolate frogs for everyone!! Do you think they hop in your stomach??

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the ministry was refering to underaged wizards when they said they could track wizards- they were talking about a good witness to Harry's Patronus and the Dementors- they wouldn't consider a boy who hadn't gotten into Hogwarts yet a proper witness-

Hogwarts has a magic quill that writes the names of wizards down when they are born- when its time, Prof. McGonagall (I am so spelling that wrong), looks up who is eligible and sends them letters- JK explained it somewhere- I forget if it was an interview or on the site-

Was it Monday or Tuesday that she revealed the title? I have a feeling that's the day she's reveal something new each week, or every other week

ReputationRep:
    so, what, do you think they don't know of wizards who are below the age of 11?? that would be stupid! if Mark Evans was a wizard, The MoM would kno about it. Besides, if the guy's a half blood then he has to have a wizard/witch parent, and the MoM would certainly kno about them. unless he lives w/ muggle relatives, but that would be very cliché.
    I think JKR put the title behind the door Monday night, but she posted an article about it Tuesday morning.

ReputationRep:
    I would think they KNOW, I just don't think that's what they were referring to in the courtroom- make more sense? I think they were referring to valid witnesses, not anyone with magical powers at all- I think he meant there were no wizards, not no one who will ever be a wizard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    I would think they KNOW, I just don't think that's what they were referring to in the courtroom- make more sense? I think they were referring to valid witnesses, not anyone with magical powers at all- I think he meant there were no wizards, not no one who will ever be a wizard
    I reckon your right Brooklyn. It would make more sence that they would only metion grown up wizards.

ReputationRep:
    First off - Happy Birthday

Now for the question on everyone's minds ... whos the HBP?
    What does half blood refer to? Maybe they aren't talking about someone halfwizard/half muggle but someone like Hagrid ... halfwizard/half other being ... and I am also intreged by the prince part ... especially cuz royalty hasnt been part of the HP universe yet. is it refering to houses like the heir of slytherin type stuff ... or maybe the leader of another group like a gurg. do we know of any other half blood individuals by book 2 (not including harry and voldemort) other than seamus (wizard/muggle) and Hagrid. My roommate is convinced its either Snape (whos past remains a mystery) or dumbledore himself. One things for sure - its a male!!!!

ReputationRep:
    and as Mark Evans goes - lets wait to speculate on his hidden identity until JK actually, eventually responds to that poll on her website ..

BTW, anyone else disturbed that the door has resealed itself ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexiefaye)
    and as Mark Evans goes - lets wait to speculate on his hidden identity until JK actually, eventually responds to that poll on her website ..

BTW, anyone else disturbed that the door has resealed itself ....
    She can't hold off answering the question forever can she? Hmmm, the royalty thing is interesting. Maybe the royalty could be the initial founders of the school, which would make the prince an heir of one of the founders. But, it's probably something else. Thanks for the chocolate frogs Brooklyn!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.