Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    The more we speculate about Mark Evans, the more its bugging me whether he is significant or not!

But I just had a thought which makes me think he may not be very significant. Because OotP is from harry's point of view, and it seems Harry knows the kid is called Mark Evans as well as the fact that his mother's maiden name is also evans, he would have helped Mark against Dudley, or at least have acknowledged him/had contact with him prior to this - unless JK is being inconsistent.

(hope that made sense, the point i'm trying to make!)
    I don't remember it ever being mentioned that his mother's maiden name was evans before the fifth book. Maybe he didn't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I don't remember it ever being mentioned that his mother's maiden name was evans before the fifth book. Maybe he didn't know.
    Nope it wasnt mentioned before, and he found out in snapes memory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Maybe he is. Maybe that is one of the things that Dumbledore conveniently forgot to tell Harry. He could be in a similar boat as harry only reversed. His mother is a sister of lily and somehow she dies and he is left with a relative of his father. Since harry would not be related to his aunt's husband, he wouldn't be related to his aunt's husband's family and thus wouldn't live with them. It was never said that petunia didn't have another sister.
    There is only one problem with that theory. When girls get married they take on their husbands last name. So how could he still be Mark Evans.

ReputationRep:
    oh my goodness- very annoyed- people go back and READ pages- its one thing to repeat in hundreds of pages, but people saying the same thing over after 2-3 pages is very annoying- sorry- had to get that rant out-

READ BACK: Mark Evans- picking a 10 yr old is too much of a coincidence- Harry didn't know his mother's maiden name before Snape's pensieve- remember he didn't know what the initials LE were in his fathers scratch paper in the exam- I seriously think they meant of age wizards in the trial, not wizards to be- actually I dont think anyone but Hogwarts knows who is a wizard and who isn't before they get the letter- remember, they thought Neville was a squib- if they could track wizards, they would have known he wasn't- we know they can't track squibs b/c they didn't know Figg was living near Harry- as to how he is related- who knows- could be any number of relations- my family is huge, but trying to figure out exactly how each cousin is related takes several charts and hours-

James- he is TOO a pureblood- Snape would have called him out on that by NOW- and especially in the pensieve- Sirius said all pureblooded families intermarry- not that every family was on the chart- we know Malfoy's are purebloods, but they didn't get on the black family tree until Lucius married Narcissa- nothing about his ancestors- I'm sure there was a Potter who had a daughter at some point- then her daughter or son's last name wouldn't be Potter, and THEY could marry a black and not show up as a Potter- also, anyone who was good was blasted off by Sirius's mother, so you wouldn't see them anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    The one where he's in the snow under the Invisibility Cloak (after he hears about Sirius "betraying" his parents). To be fair, the writing's not superb either, because I don't think Harry would ever cry in front of his friends (nor would Hermione make a comment about how her hair looks)
    The werid thing is, i thought she was going to say "Does my bum look that big" being a classic comment. But they properly thought there would be too many perverts staring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    oh my goodness- very annoyed- people go back and READ pages- its one thing to repeat in hundreds of pages, but people saying the same thing over after 2-3 pages is very annoying- sorry- had to get that rant out-

James- he is TOO a pureblood- Snape would have called him out on that by NOW- and especially in the pensieve- Sirius said all pureblooded families intermarry- not that every family was on the chart- we know Malfoy's are purebloods, but they didn't get on the black family tree until Lucius married Narcissa- nothing about his ancestors- I'm sure there was a Potter who had a daughter at some point- then her daughter or son's last name wouldn't be Potter, and THEY could marry a black and not show up as a Potter- also, anyone who was good was blasted off by Sirius's mother, so you wouldn't see them anyway
    Too right. Also we've known for ages that Harry is a half blood. And half bloods tend to have one muggle parent and one pure blood parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    The werid thing is, i thought she was going to say "Does my bum look that big" being a classic comment. But they properly thought there would be too many perverts staring.
    Yeah, there probably are. Apparently Emma is the most-searched-for-on-the-Internet actor from the HP films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    Sorry, I don't know if anyone has said this already, but could Hagrid be "the half blood prince" by any chance? Because he's half wizard, and half giant, and JKR said that the character played a role in the second book...or something like that, and Hagrid was important in book 2, because of the whole raising giant spiders thing, which Tom Riddle showed Harry through his diary...what do you think?
    Umm...so no one here thinks it could be Hagrid then? Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there probably are. Apparently Emma is the most-searched-for-on-the-Internet actor from the HP films.
    And if you look, all those "Count Down till their 18" clocks have been changed from the Olsen Twins to our Emma (seeing as the Olsen Twins turned 18 last month).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    Umm...so no one here thinks it could be Hagrid then? Oh well...
    For me, he would be lower down on the list of possibilities, but that's just me. The trend might continue with there being a new character. Plus, we know loads about him. Would be nice to find out about a new/little knownabout character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    There is only one problem with that theory. When girls get married they take on their husbands last name. So how could he still be Mark Evans.
    the only way mark could be indirectly related to harry then would be if lily had a brother who died but left a stepson who still had the evans surname! (ok i guess that is a bit far fetched!)

As for harry not knowing his mother's maiden name until snapes memory...oops i forgot that but talk about having gaps in your knowledge about basic things - i think i find that frustrating on harry's behalf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Its okay, the third movie is good, but its not great.
    I beg to differ. I put my views of the movie on an earlier post inthe thread, but I reiterate that the 3rd flick is terrible. Do yourself a favour those of you who haven't yet seen it on the big screen. Wait for the DVD/Video release. Two reasons. a)it isn't a big screen flick b)it quite frankly sucks. Doesn't stick to the story line, a little too childish (despite the fact that it was in the third book that Harry and co. finally appeared to be maturing) and just too glossy in regard to almost all the integral features of the HP series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I beg to differ. I put my views of the movie on an earlier post inthe thread, but I reiterate that the 3rd flick is terrible. Do yourself a favour those of you who haven't yet seen it on the big screen. Wait for the DVD/Video release. Two reasons. a)it isn't a big screen flick b)it quite frankly sucks. Doesn't stick to the story line, a little too childish (despite the fact that it was in the third book that Harry and co. finally appeared to be maturing) and just too glossy in regard to almost all the integral features of the HP series.
    i must say that the only thing i compared the 3rd film to was the previous 2 and hence found it to be a fantastic film - the films definitely dont compare in the least to the books.

ReputationRep:
    The more we speculate about Mark Evans, the more its bugging me whether he is significant or not!

But I just had a thought which makes me think he may not be very significant. Because OotP is from harry's point of view, and it seems Harry knows the kid is called Mark Evans as well as the fact that his mother's maiden name is also evans, he would have helped Mark against Dudley, or at least have acknowledged him/had contact with him prior to this - unless JK is being inconsistent.

(hope that made sense, the point i'm trying to make!)
    But think about it in real life, if you came across someone with the same surname as you you'd think nothing of it (unless you had a really bizarre name), and Evans isn't exactly a extraordinary name. Its only because the name appears in a book (and in books if two people share the same name they tend to be related) that we've picked up on it

ReputationRep:
    i must say that the only thing i compared the 3rd film to was the previous 2 and hence found it to be a fantastic film - the films definitely dont compare in the least to the books.
    My point precisely. They've wrecked it. I saw an interview with the producers a few years ago and they promised that they would do their utmost to convey the story as accurately as possible with complete faithfulness to the books. This simply hasn't happened, and I really did have high hopes for the 3rd flick to bring it back on track. As the 3rd book was the one that really started to set the pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    And if you look, all those "Count Down till their 18" clocks have been changed from the Olsen Twins to our Emma (seeing as the Olsen Twins turned 18 last month).
    Hmm, yeah, I think I saw a countdown until the Olsen Twins turn 21 though.

I just find it a bit strange...I really don't find Emma attractive. Yes, she's pretty, but she's too much of an airhead, and she's playing Hermione like a typical British teenager, which she certainly isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    But think about it in real life, if you came across someone with the same surname as you you'd think nothing of it (unless you had a really bizarre name), and Evans isn't exactly a extraordinary name. Its only because the name appears in a book (and in books if two people share the same name they tend to be related) that we've picked up on it
    Thats what i said when we first started discussing it, that Evans might jsut be a common surname. But this is JK we are talking about. This isn't somethink you just slip in. We need to keep voting on the Mark Evans question on her site. But people keep voting for "Is Sirius really Dead?". OF COURSE HE IS DEAD OR JK WOULDN'T HAVE CRIED WHEN SHE WROTE THAT SCENE.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah, I think I saw a countdown until the Olsen Twins turn 21 though.

I just find it a bit strange...I really don't find Emma attractive. Yes, she's pretty, but she's too much of an airhead, and she's playing Hermione like a typical British teenager, which she certainly isn't.
    I think Emma is nice looking, but you are right about her playing Hermionie like a teenager. In the books, she is really just a bookworm until the Yule Ball in GoF.

ReputationRep:
    Ha-HAH!! o, burn! i KNEW it! Mark Evans is NOBODY!!
    for those who don't kno what i'm talking about, check the FAQ poll at http://www.jkrowling.com.
    i knew he was nobody, i just knew it.
    down the drain go all your little theories, but o well... another candidate out of the running for HBP, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco_frog_chic)
    Ha-HAH!! o, burn! i KNEW it! Mark Evans is NOBODY!!
    for those who don't kno what i'm talking about, check the FAQ poll at http://www.jkrowling.com.
    i knew he was nobody, i just knew it.
    down the drain go all your little theories, but o well... another candidate out of the running for HBP, eh?
    That's one down, Snape is now looking even more likely

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.