Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Just found this, on mugglene:

Wide-Mouthed Tree Frog -- We've known ever since Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone that Harry was going to be replaced as seeker! At the beginning of the chapter right after Harry catches the snitch in his mouth, Draco is making fun of Harry and saying how a "wide-mouthed tree frog is going to replace Harry as seeker" next. This didn't exactly come true, but in Order, Umbridge (the wide-mouthed tree frog, check all the toad references about her) bans him from the team, essentially replacing him with Ginny! Thanks to Leah for this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco_frog_chic)
    'xcuse, but when did you "tell us so"? may have missed you telling us so, but I always thought you were a 'mark evans theory' supporter?
    o, and just to clear it up for you guys, a half blood is someone who has any direct muggle ancestors. this includes parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents, etcetera, etcetera, so on and so forth. the whole "harry is a half blood" thing confused me when I read it, but now I kno THE TRUTH. dun dun dun. anyone care to disagree with me?
    If you read back, when we started to talk about Mark Evans, i was the who said "It could be just a common name", but then we thought that JK would never put something like that in the books, so that in scene turned me around abit. But other than that, i've thought that he wasn't that big of a deal.

ReputationRep:
    nah- still don't think he's a half blood- going by your theory, the Weasley's are half bloods- they have a muggle cousin, remember? and Dumbledore et al do comment on the similarities, but they never say they were both half bloods, just that Harry wasn't a pureblood- he doesn't have to be one or the other.

As for Draco calling Hermione a mudblood- don't you think if he could he'd call Harry one as well? I don't see him hesitating on that one- thats why I was thinking half-mudblood? I guess that's the worst you could say- but I STILL think he would be considered some sort of second degree pureblood- his parents WERE both wizards, no matter how they were born

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    nah- still don't think he's a half blood- going by your theory, the Weasley's are half bloods- they have a muggle cousin, remember? and Dumbledore et al do comment on the similarities, but they never say they were both half bloods, just that Harry wasn't a pureblood- he doesn't have to be one or the other.
    As for Draco calling Hermione a mudblood- don't you think if he could he'd call Harry one as well? I don't see him hesitating on that one- thats why I was thinking half-mudblood? I guess that's the worst you could say- but I STILL think he would be considered some sort of second degree pureblood- his parents WERE both wizards, no matter how they were born
    But cousins aren't directly blood related. I think that it's direct family, and uncles and aunts, who are brothers and sisters to your parents and grandparents who are blood related. I have to wear my scarf in front of non-blood related people inc cousins. At least, that's what I reckon. Therefore, a weasly cousin would not be blood related, so the weasleys wouldn't be half-blood.
    Am probably wrong about that, but that's one way to get around the theory.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get that- my cousins are blood related- we have the same grandparents- for example- my grandparents on my Dad's side are Puerto Rican- therefore I am halfPR and so are my cousins-

now- on my theory- my fathers parents aren't American- but he was born American- my mothers family is American for hundreds of years back- now I'm still 100% American because both my parents are (besides being born here myself)- I'm not half American- does this make sense? See the parallel?

ReputationRep:
    Brooklyn, will you set your account to recieve pm's so that I can send you a pm?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, i've just been on newsround and saw a story on JK and.............well, read the paragraph below.

Speaking straight after the ceremony, JK gave a little hint about what might happen in the last book. She was asked if Harry would graduate in Book VII . She paused before replying: "If I answer that I give quite a lot away, so I'm not going to!"

What do we think about that.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get that- my cousins are blood related- we have the same grandparents- for example- my grandparents on my Dad's side are Puerto Rican- therefore I am halfPR and so are my cousins-

now- on my theory- my fathers parents aren't American- but he was born American- my mothers family is American for hundreds of years back- now I'm still 100% American because both my parents are (besides being born here myself)- I'm not half American- does this make sense? See the parallel?
    That does make sence and i can see where you are coming from, but again i must come back to the procesy (wrong spelling, i know). Dumbledore tells Harry that Voldemort picked him because he is a half blood, like himself.

If you are muggle born when you go to Hogwarts, your "blood type" as it were doesn't change, you are still a muggleborn. It's just that you can do magic. In every magical story, even the commest of people can do magic. They just say the magic words and bingo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Guys, i've just been on newsround and saw a story on JK and.............well, read the paragraph below.

Speaking straight after the ceremony, JK gave a little hint about what might happen in the last book. She was asked if Harry would graduate in Book VII . She paused before replying: "If I answer that I give quite a lot away, so I'm not going to!"

We know that he is going to suffer so if she told us he was going to graduate then we would know that he was going to live.

ReputationRep:

uurgh, u dont get it. what I meant was, direct lineage. parents, grandparents nth times great grandparents, where you can draw a straight line from the ancestor or relative in question to you on your family tree. wizard blood classification doesnt seem to work the same way as ours. your way of looking at it makes perfect sense, tho. it seems that in the wizarding world you are either muggle-born, halfblood or pureblood - not anything else. no "quarter-bloods" or "half-mudbloods".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

But she cant answer that, it would give the whole ending away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    That does make sence and i can see where you are coming from, but again i must come back to the procesy (wrong spelling, i know). Dumbledore tells Harry that Voldemort picked him because he is a half blood, like himself.

If you are muggle born when you go to Hogwarts, your "blood type" as it were doesn't change, you are still a muggleborn. It's just that you can do magic. In every magical story, even the commest of people can do magic. They just say the magic words and bingo.
    It does seem confusing as to who is pureblood and who is halfblood. Because Malfoy when he first met harry asked about his parents being witch and wizard only. that seemed enough for him.

But JK herself as Dude has written above said that Voldie considered Harry half blood like himself. It shows that I guess it must be a matter of perception i.e. people in the magical world having their own perceptions of what is considered pure and what is considered half-blood. Hence the discrepancies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

That is the sort of answer which lead me to start up this thread in the 1st place. She doesn't want to give away the answer to the poll on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    That is the sort of answer which lead me to start up this thread in the 1st place. She doesn't want to give away the answer to the poll on this thread.
    After all, it is one of the key things to the book. She has worded trelawny's first prophesy too well, it can imply any outcome (harry only lives, voldie only lives, both die.) The only combination not possible is that both harry and voldie live.

ReputationRep:
    but WHERE does it say that Voldie considered him a halfbood? I dont remember seeing that- does anyone have a quote? I may just be blanking- I thought Dumbledore just said notice he didn't chose the pureblood, but one he thought more like himself- or something like that- not saying directly that Harry was a halfblood- Im a quotes kind of reader- I want the line

How do we submit questions for the next FAQ poll?

How do I open myself to PMs?

ReputationRep:
    How do we submit questions for the next FAQ poll?
    How do I open myself to PMs?
    User cp>Settings & Options> Edit Options> Message & Notification> Private messaging> check the box that says enable private messaging. Not all of tham are links to click. Some of them are just sections on the page.

Someone needs to submit: When will it come out?

ReputationRep:
    Can any1 rell me what d new HP message board is about. Is it just 4 HP discussion or...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    Can any1 rell me what d new HP message board is about. Is it just 4 HP discussion or...?
    It is a general HP message board started by me. It is run by me padfoot Xenon and now Sire. It is entitled the Ultimate Discussion because that is the name of this thread, but there is no affiliation betwixt the two. Currently all of the members are from UKl since 2 days ago me and Xenon pm'ed everybody with 3 or more posts in this thread about it (ahem Brooklyn) We have not advertised in public because 1. we don't want this thread to dry up and 2. it would be frowned upon by the moderators of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    but WHERE does it say that Voldie considered him a halfbood? I dont remember seeing that- does anyone have a quote? I may just be blanking- I thought Dumbledore just said notice he didn't chose the pureblood, but one he thought more like himself- or something like that- not saying directly that Harry was a halfblood- Im a quotes kind of reader- I want the line
    Right, you forced me to get out my copy of OotP!
    Chapter 37, the lost prophesy... (direct quote)

'He chose the boy he thought most likely to be a danger to him,' said Dumbledore. 'And notice this, Harry: he chose, not the pure-blood (which according to his creed, is the only kind of wizard worth being or knowing) but the half-blood, like himself...'

ReputationRep:
    Thank you thank you thank you! I do appreciate a good quote

well, then, that settles it- if Dumbledore says it- it must be true- Harry is a half-blood

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.