Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Egh. Just read that bit about the gay fanfic. *shudder*. And also, apologies for the above post. Just saw the part about reading this stuff a month late. Where ya been?
    Well, I had work experience, holiday and then exams one after the other so I haven't been on much. Actually, I hardly did any revision (oops) but I seem to have subconsciously abstained from the forum so I've got a tonne of things to read and reply to. You'll have to excuse me everyone for bringing back all these topics!

---

-Post number 2 - replies for posts up to page 422-

(Original post by Brooklyn)
    its from macbeth I think- they just made a song for the movie- apparently the director thought there would be a school choir- while I guess there might be, I hate when they stray from the story like that
    When I saw that though I kept thinking 'when would they have time to reherse?'. They've just literally got back into school, they'd have no time for a test run - their voices could have been all out of tune etc. It's just not practically thought out!

(Original post by moncal)
    They should just stop making the movies until jkr finishes writing the books so that she can direct them. She probably doesn't want to but they would be so much better.
    I think in 20 years time or whenever someone should/will remake the series properly. That'd be good.

(Original post by Sire)
    Well you certainly know how to make a guy feel left out. Quidditch through the ages? As in those books listed in the final pages of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone??? Were they real? If so, why can't I get a hold of them in Australia? *sobs*
    Do you have an Australian Amazon? Or…if you were really desperate you could order them from Amazon.co.uk and have them sent to my address and I'll send them on to you.

(Original post by Xenon)
    Oh, and the director said (when informed by J K Rowling):

"the graveyard is near this other wing of the castle and it's going to play an important part in number six because such and such and such"

Interesting. Maybe Harry's parents/grandparents are buried them. Maybe Harry finally asks to go to his parents' graves.
    Yes, that's very interesting. Though it's sort of odd that there's a graveyard right next to the school. But if his parents are buried there and he visits then maybe it'll get him asking questions about his parents and solve some of our job theories and the like.

(Original post by Sire)
    We get it 10th June here and since that is my bday, I'm getting a private screening with a few friends
    Wow! I'd love to rent out a cinema for a showing of a film. Did it cost you much?

(Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Hey, just a quick post while the adverts are on, but why weren't the Weasley's in the original Order?
    Interesting question. The Prewetts were, and I suppose if they died early on then that might have stopped the Weasley's from joining. Also remember the Weasleys had a family (although so did the Potters and the Longbottoms) - Mrs Weasley might even been pregnant so having either her or Arther in the Order wouldn't have been a good idea.

Heard on the radio the other day that some cinemas in america have put age ratings on certain screenings of PoA and Shrek 2, so some are over 16, and some are over 21! I think thats a fantastic idea, everyone gets to see the films, but older viewers can do it in peace without children running round and screaming!
    By the time I got to go and see it obviously most people had already been. There was only about 10 people in there altogether so there was basically no atmosphere and I seemed to be the only one amused by the funny bits etc. We also had a pretty disruptive family behind us - a mother who let her mobile ring for a good few minutes before answering, and a little boy who kept asking questions or talking all the time. Gah!

(Original post by Geogger)
    I agree - Michael Gambon's voice and mannerisms are quite wrong - he has the voice of a young man but the appearance of an old one.
    The film was OK as far as it went, but it was very limited in what it showed. As an aside, did you notice that wormtail's "finger" (ie the missing one ) which was supposed to be the INDEX finger (said clearly twice in POA) was actually shown as the ring finger on his left hand.... puts paid to my theory that his missing finger on the hand he gave to Voldemort might be crucial!
    Do you think they might have buried wormtail's finger in the cemetery that JKR doesn't want us to see yet?Perhaps Voldemort needs it?
    Oh, that's quite interesting. It'd be clever if the lack of finger meant that Voldemorts form was incomplete/had a weakness, but then the ritual only said 'Flesh of the servant, willingly given' and not 'Arm/hand/fingers…willingly given'. I wonder if the bone of the finger (if they did have it) could be used to locate/call up/conjure the wizard.

(Original post by curryADD)
    and if they didn't rot, what possible significance/ use would that have? i think we may run into a portrait of harry's dad, mom, or sirius in the following books. portraits are like live people, so that would make that interesting.
    Hmmm…could be, but it'd be a little odd. In a way, as if his parents/Sirius were still alive. Also, where would they be? His parents house was supposedly in ruins and there wont be one at Grimauld Place as Sirius' parents would have burnt/destroyed it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I rarely have to pay to go watch movies. My best mate is the projectionist at the local flicks (small country town 8000 people) and he regularly gives me a call to preview a movie with him a few days before they start screening it. Some examples are The Last Samurai, Bruce Almighty, Harry Potter 3, Shrek 2, Troy, Matrix 2&3 etc etc. But to be fair on others I have to pay for my girlfriends 8yr old when we go

It is good though. Just a couple of people, sitting in the prime spot, none of that annoying talking etc. Lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Egh. Just read that bit about the gay fanfic. *shudder*. And also, apologies for the above post. Just saw the part about reading this stuff a month late. Where ya been?
    Why would anyone want to read Adult Harry Potter fan fic anywayz. I'll bet it's really discusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Indeed, especially in terms of the harry potter thread, we go back thousands of posts here I'd say you're more recognisable than me, especially cuz of the Bond avatar. I love it
    The turth with that is that i picked it at random and i can't be bothered changing it now. But i think you are right, not many other people use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    The turth with that is that i picked it at random and i can't be bothered changing it now. But i think you are right, not many other people use it.
    Many people knew me before by my batman (or as I say batgirl) avatar, before I finally changed it. Mind you, it's all for the better as before I had some people thinking that I was male! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    maybe it has something to do with him being the Keeper of the keys, but we never found out what that meant.
    I always thought that meant that he had the keys to all of hogwarts doors, another sign that dumbledore trusts hagrid implicitly

ReputationRep:
    It is a general HP message board started by me. It is run by me padfoot Xenon and now Sire. It is entitled the Ultimate Discussion because that is the name of this thread, but there is no affiliation betwixt the two. Currently all of the members are from UKl since 2 days ago me and Xenon pm'ed everybody with 3 or more posts in this thread about it (ahem Brooklyn) We have not advertised in public because 1. we don't want this thread to dry up and 2. it would be frowned upon by the moderators of this forum.
    Ahem? I am quite sure it was at least 1/2 my idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Urrgghhh! He seems to me to one of those stupid people who thinks way too highly of themselves, and nicks ideas off other people.
    Man Xenon, you could save JKR a lot of trouble and write the books yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Ahem? I am quite sure it was at least 1/2 my idea
    Which half was that? The half that Xenon did or the half that I did.

ReputationRep:
    Which half was that? The half that Xenon did or the half that I did.
    Rememer back when we had our other one..... and i asked if we should keep it or try a harry potter one? And we decided to try a harry potter one.....

ReputationRep:
    harry is a magical hero, mainly a wizard.He would never die in the 7th movie because he is a Gryffindor legend,you could say. harry would be realy mad if the dursley's would be on his back. :mad: for all we know,we have no clue if he's gonna die or not. :confused: If he is going to die then maybe thats because he dosen't want to make any more movies. Any way he'll be to old by then. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I gave someone rep the other day thinking it was you. I see the avatar, I think its you and get ready to read a decent post

ReputationRep:
    maybe it has something to do with him being the Keeper of the keys, but we never found out what that meant.
    I don't think its anything important. I reckon its just he takes care of the keys to the castle. He's grounds keeper so I guess its just an extension of his job there.

In England famous people can be given the keys to a city (so someone like JKR might be given the keys to the city of Edinburgh) its just an old fashion thing which gives them daft privileges like the ability to graze a herd of goats in the city parks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    I always thought that meant that he had the keys to all of hogwarts doors, another sign that dumbledore trusts hagrid implicitly
    It could mean that he is Dumbledore's secret keeper for Hogwarts. The last thing Dumbledore wants is Voldemort turning up at Hogwarts uninvited because there are only a handful of experienced witches/wizards (the teachers)

ReputationRep:
    Rememer back when we had our other one..... and i asked if we should keep it or try a harry potter one? And we decided to try a harry potter one.....
    I do seem to remember PadFoot pushing this to a large degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    The Prewetts were, and I suppose if they died early on then that might have stopped the Weasley's from joining. Also remember the Weasleys had a family (although so did the Potters and the Longbottoms) - Mrs Weasley might even been pregnant so having either her or Arther in the Order wouldn't have been a good idea.
    Hmmm, Ginny's a year younger than Harry so I guess she might have been pregnant, I figured the Order was formed a long time before that though

(Original post by Egan1)
    Hmmm…could be, but it'd be a little odd. In a way, as if his parents/Sirius were still alive. Also, where would they be? His parents house was supposedly in ruins and there wont be one at Grimauld Place as Sirius' parents would have burnt/destroyed it.
    Theres always Sirius's other house (see my post from a few days ago) There could always be a portrait there. I can't imagine why Sirius or the Potters would have sat for a portrait though, the others seem to be quite famous people, like the headteachers and important ministry officials and people from St. Mungos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    It could mean that he is Dumbledore's secret keeper for Hogwarts. The last thing Dumbledore wants is Voldemort turning up at Hogwarts uninvited because there are only a handful of experienced witches/wizards (the teachers)
    But surely after 7 years at school at Hogwarts Voldemort would have a reaonable idea about where it is. They've said before that the only thing stopping him taking over there was his fear of Dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    But surely after 7 years at school at Hogwarts Voldemort would have a reaonable idea about where it is. They've said before that the only thing stopping him taking over there was his fear of Dumbledore.
    Is Voldemort really scared of Dumbledore though? He duelled with Dumbledore in the MoM rather than run, and at the beginning of Book 1 Dumbledore told McGonagall that Voldemort was a greater wizard than he was. To which McGonagall said it was because Dumbledore was too noble. I just think that saying Voldemort is afraid of Dumbledore is more along the lines of hope rather than truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Is Voldemort really scared of Dumbledore though? He duelled with Dumbledore in the MoM rather than run, and at the beginning of Book 1 Dumbledore told McGonagall that Voldemort was a greater wizard than he was. To which McGonagall said it was because Dumbledore was too noble. I just think that saying Voldemort is afraid of Dumbledore is more along the lines of hope rather than truth.
    But the books always say that Dumbledore is the only thing that Voldemort was afraid of. Remember that even when he was at the highet of his power, Voldemort still didn't try to take over Hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I gave someone rep the other day thinking it was you. I see the avatar, I think its you and get ready to read a decent post
    How can you mistake anyone for me. :mad: :mad: . How dare you, lmao. You are too a most respected member of this site. I remember when you first joined, you got like 100 posts on your first day.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.