The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** Watch

This discussion is closed.
Meghan
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Personal opinion, Dumbledore will die at the end of book 6. Something big needs to happen and if Dumbledore died Harry would have to fight Voldemort completely on his own, Dumbledore wouldnt be able to come to his rescue. The only point I can think of against it would be Harry would lose yet another person who was as good as family to him
possibly, possibly. But then wouldn't it be rather vindictive for Rowling to kill off yet another family(ish) member?

Personally, I think it's more realistic that Dumbledore personally tutors Harry in the next few books, and their relationship becomes stronger. Now that Harry has no-one left, and still has to learn Occlumency, DAtDA etc etc it would be cool for Dumbledore to teach Harry everything. How else is Harry supposed to properly take on Voldemort?
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Meghan)
possibly, possibly. But then wouldn't it be rather vindictive for Rowling to kill off yet another family(ish) member?

Personally, I think it's more realistic that Dumbledore personally tutors Harry in the next few books, and their relationship becomes stronger. Now that Harry has no-one left, and still has to learn Occlumency, DAtDA etc etc it would be cool for Dumbledore to teach Harry everything. How else is Harry supposed to properly take on Voldemort?
but at the end of book 5 he is still mad at dumbledore.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
wow 19 hours and no new posts, i hope its because of the server...

So in the forbidden forest, do you think grawp killed any centaurs after they attacked him?
The server was down for about 13 hours.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777)
I don't think Grawp killed any more centaurs. JKR said in an interview that he has a bigger part to play in the coming books, and has learned more words by the 6th.
Doesn't necessarily mean he didn't kill anybody

On a different note, what about the two-way mirror? Doy you think that will ever come in useful?
JKR has said that he will be back in some form so maybe.

And can Snape really be trusted? After reading OotP, I became marginally more fond of him (James Potter was a real prat), but I don't thinkhis only vice is prejudice against Gryffindors/an obssessive hatred of Harry. After all, the man was a death eater, AND he still calls Voldy 'the DARK lORD' (A term only Death Eaters use). Now why is that?
He might call him the Dark Lord as a term of respect. You can respect someone and not serve them.

Oh, and my theory is that Dumbledore will die in the 7th book in a struggle against Voldemort, but Harry will kill old Voldy, (maybe, if JK's feeling really vindictive, she'll kill off either Ron or Hermoine in the process). The thing is, if HP doesn't ultimately kill Voldemort, JK will finish off the books by implicating that Darkness will rule over the magical world, throwing everything she (painstakingly, metculously) created, into utter chaos. No author would sanely do that to a world that they pieced together over 13 years. (But then yo0u never do know...the woman's obsessed with secrecy)

Oh, and there is no doubt whatsoever that Harry is Heir of Gryffindor. Naturally, therefore, his nemesis is Heir of Slytherin.
I pretty much agree.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Geogger)
JKR has a new poll on her site on FAQ. These ought to be useful topics to debate so this time people don't just click on the first one they see without thinking it through?
Topics are...

1. Is Percy working undercover for any secret organisation/ boss?
2. Where has Peter Pettigrew (Wormtail) been since the end of GoF?
3. What did Dumbledore's howler to Aunt Petunia mean? (Remember my last,.. )
I want to know what the answer to 3 is. Everybody vote for it.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Currently 57% of people agree with me. The second one is 23% and then 19% for the first one.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by moncal)
Currently 57% of people agree with me. The second one is 23% and then 19% for the first one.
And I'm one of them. My order of preference would be 3-2-1.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I want to know what the answer to 3 is. Everybody vote for it.
i voted 2. I would want 2-3-1. If we find out what wormtail is doing, it may give us some tiny clue as too what volde is up to in the coming books.
Meghan
Report 14 years ago
but at the end of book 5 he is still mad at dumbledore.
doesn't matter - it's a teenage thing isn't it? He can't stay mad at Dumbledore for that long...
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i voted 2. I would want 2-3-1. If we find out what wormtail is doing, it may give us some tiny clue as too what volde is up to in the coming books.
But we learn so much more if we know what the howler was about. I don't think that what wormtail is doing has much to do with the developement of the story unless he is the half blood prince. Which isn't likely.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But we learn so much more if we know what the howler was about. I don't think that what wormtail is doing has much to do with the developement of the story unless he is the half blood prince. Which isn't likely.
But she wouldnt use it as one of the poll questions if the answer was nothing.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But she wouldnt use it as one of the poll questions if the answer was nothing.
*cough* Mark Evans *cough*
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*cough* Mark Evans *cough*
but at least that was interesting, we had all been talking about it.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
but at least that was interesting, we had all been talking about it.
People have talked about wormtail too.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
LOL, I went to see the new HP film last night. What can I say, it was the most pointless and rubbish film I have ever seen. The plot is hardly worth staying awake for, th visual effects are crap and the acting of some of the characters is appalling, ie. Hermione.

I think the book is so much better, the film does it no justice whatsoever.
parvati
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know how to do the multiple quotes in one post, so I'll have to do them individually.

First of all, I really think that 3 (dumbledore's last howler) would be very interesting. Unless of course it turns out that all it was, was that the dursleys tried to have harry adopted and dumbledore sent a howler threatening to do something awful (like tell everyone at vernon's work) so they have to keep harry.

It interesting that she would ask the question about percy.
That could mean either he is sectretly working for dumbledore as a spy in the ministry (see explanation on mugglenet.. the letter he sent Ron could be interpreted as clues to whats happening in the ministry, though I think it unlikely). It could also mean he has already joined the death eaters! It would be quite interesting to find out if either if these are true.

I'm not entirely convinced finding out what pettigrew has been up to would be of much help.
parvati
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777)
I don't think Grawp killed any more centaurs. JKR said in an interview that he has a bigger part to play in the coming books, and has learned more words by the 6th.

On a different note, what about the two-way mirror? Doy you think that will ever come in useful?

And can Snape really be trusted? After reading OotP, I became marginally more fond of him (James Potter was a real prat), but I don't thinkhis only vice is prejudice against Gryffindors/an obssessive hatred of Harry. After all, the man was a death eater, AND he still calls Voldy 'the DARK lORD' (A term only Death Eaters use). Now why is that?

Oh, and my theory is that Dumbledore will die in the 7th book in a struggle against Voldemort, but Harry will kill old Voldy, (maybe, if JK's feeling really vindictive, she'll kill off either Ron or Hermoine in the process). The thing is, if HP doesn't ultimately kill Voldemort, JK will finish off the books by implicating that Darkness will rule over the magical world, throwing everything she (painstakingly, meticulously) created, into utter chaos. No author would sanely do that to a world that they pieced together over 13 years. (But then yo0u never do know...the woman's obsessed with secrecy)

Oh, and there is no doubt whatsoever that Harry is Heir of Gryffindor. Naturally, therefore, his nemesis is Heir of Slytherin.
Grawp will definitely play some role. Him and hagrid may end up having to battle all the giants on voldie's side in the up and coming battle.

As for the two way mirror, I wish that JK would put that up on her poll, after all, we have talked about it enough and are despirate to find out how it will be used again..(hint hint to Jo if shes reading )

It is intersting that snape calls voldie the dark lord. Maybe if hes a spy for dumbledore, he doesnt want to get out of practice of saying that whenever hes in the company of voldie's followers.

I definitely think dumbledore will die, as to when, it will no doubt be either the end of book 6 or just before the final battle in book 7. And i think he will die to save harry.

But as for the heir of Gryffindor, I'm more inclined to think its dumbledore, for the reasons dicussed on this thread before!
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sorry that i havn't posted in a while (i've finally got a job, but it works late hours).

Anyway, Dumbledore explained the Howler as it were in the last book to Harry if you remember, so we don't really need to know about it. And who really cares about Wormtail. But i agree that the Howler one does seem like the best out of the choices (how do we submit questions like this anyway).

And also, JK said that book 6 and 7 were really two parts of the same book, so if Dumbledore did die at the end of book 6, he is really dieing somewhere in the middle.
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by parvati)
Grawp will definitely play some role. Him and hagrid may end up having to battle all the giants on voldie's side in the up and coming battle.
He will play a role, and will be better behaved in the next book as he knows what it is like with his Hagger, lol.

As for the two way mirror, I wish that JK would put that up on her poll, after all, we have talked about it enough and are despirate to find out how it will be used again..(hint hint to Jo if shes reading )
I'll bet that if JK ever found out about this thread, she wouldn't bother reading it the whole way through. It would take too long. But as we have said, we have over 9,000 posts here. We've bound to have gotten something right or have come close.

It is intersting that snape calls voldie the dark lord. Maybe if hes a spy for dumbledore, he doesnt want to get out of practice of saying that whenever hes in the company of voldie's followers.
It must be what Dumbledore asked him to do over the summer. Be a spy.

But as for the heir of Gryffindor, I'm more inclined to think its dumbledore, for the reasons dicussed on this thread before!
And of course, i agree with you. Harry being the heir of Gryffindor is too obvious. Dumbledore is a more likey candidate.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Same here, I don't look much my age, and can be taken as being younger.
Salazar might have been good friends with Gidric, but what's to say that other emotions got the better of him?
That brings up an interesting point. Just how did Godric, Rowena, Helena and Salazar meet their ends? Were they natural? I remember the book 5 sorting hat song mentioning a fair bit of duelling. Any ideas on whether or not JKR will expand on this?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads