Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Thats why i said the last bit. If Voldemort relised that Harrys and Dumbledores relationship was more than Headmaster and Pupil, he would have tried to use Harry to spy on him. And as Voldemort is onew of the smartest wizards alive, don't you think he would know if Dumbledore was related to Harry.
    But saying that, voldermort didn't realise the mark of protection put on harry by his mother's sacrifice, so it is not beyond possibility that voldermort does not know much about dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    But saying that, voldermort didn't realise the mark of protection put on harry by his mother's sacrifice, so it is not beyond possibility that voldermort does not know much about dumbledore.
    I don't think the magical world knows much about Dumbledore at all. He is a powerful wizard, Hogwarts Headmaster, on the Wizengamot, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and all that. But what of his family. How old is he anyway? Was there ever a Mrs. Dumbledore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I don't think the magical world knows much about Dumbledore at all. He is a powerful wizard, Hogwarts Headmaster, on the Wizengamot, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and all that. But what of his family. How old is he anyway? Was there ever a Mrs. Dumbledore?
    Do we know if pure bloods live longer than mixed blood wizards and assuming dumbledore is a pure blood, he could be very old.

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore if memory serves is 150yrs old. And we've heard of wizards and witches older than that. Remember that marker for the O.W.L.'s, she said that she marked Dumbledore for his N.E.W.T's personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Dumbledore if memory serves is 150yrs old. And we've heard of wizards and witches older than that. Remember that marker for the O.W.L.'s, she said that she marked Dumbledore for his N.E.W.T's personally.
    So then pure bloods will live longer than others. That takes care of his age, as for his other details, we can only speculate.

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading some harry potter fan fic lately, the first one had harry killing volde, and capturing bellatrix, and the second involves sirius being trapped behind the veil, but he can move all over the world, and be seen in mirrors. Sounds kind of odd, but its actually pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I have been reading some harry potter fan fic lately, the first one had harry killing volde, and capturing bellatrix, and the second involves sirius being trapped behind the veil, but he can move all over the world, and be seen in mirrors. Sounds kind of odd, but its actually pretty good.
    Just ignore those that have the words slash or lemon in then, they are best left unread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Sorry that i havn't posted in a while (i've finally got a job, but it works late hours).

Anyway, Dumbledore explained the Howler as it were in the last book to Harry if you remember, so we don't really need to know about it. And who really cares about Wormtail. But i agree that the Howler one does seem like the best out of the choices (how do we submit questions like this anyway).

And also, JK said that book 6 and 7 were really two parts of the same book, so if Dumbledore did die at the end of book 6, he is really dieing somewhere in the middle.
    She said she got them from past letters and that she doesn't want any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    One site I was on said that he was born in 1850.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore those that have the words slash or lemon in then, they are best left unread.
    lol, i just read a very lame one with sirius visiting lupin while he is still being chased. Waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    lol, i just read a very lame one with sirius visiting lupin while he is still being chased. Waste of time.
    I am referring to ones that have romantic liasons between various characters, either opposite sex or same.

ReputationRep:
    I am referring to ones that have romantic liasons between various characters, either opposite sex or same.
    heh...that reminds me of one I saw on fanfiction.net between Dobby and Hagrid...very disturbing, I didn't dare click on it of course.

ReputationRep:
    i know, i read with lupin/sirius, it was actually very good besides the more... intimate parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    heh...that reminds me of one I saw on fanfiction.net between Dobby and Hagrid...very disturbing, I didn't dare click on it of course.
    Thank goodness for the ratings and story blurb on fanficton.net, otherwise we might start reading a slash without knowing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    One site I was on said that he was born in 1850.
    Righto, but he helped Nicolas Flamel develop the Philosopher's Stone. I seem to remember reading that Mr Flamel was already some 650 years old approximately. Even if purebloods live for about 200 years, Dumbledore has got to be somewhat older than 150. Is this a bit of writer's block on the part of JKR? Also, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but it wasn't exactly proven that the Philosopher's Stone ever was destroyed. Is it possible that Dumbledore draws some of his power from it and possibly never destroyed it. Voldemort simply said that Dumbledore would have destroyed it, but it wasn't definite. Dumbledore did confidently duel with a wizard he believed to be more powerful than himself when going up against Voldemort in Book 5. Does anyone else think I'm onto something? Would JKR throw it in again as yet another red herring?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps that is how Sirius is going to play a part in the final two books as people are already talking about. If there were any portaits of him painted, then he would retain the ability to help Harry. Here I was wondering why everyone was obsessed with the two way mirror thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    You only brought this up cos i brought it up before. I think this would be a more interesting question that the current ones on the poll.

Maybe you can use the summoning charm to get your wand. They use someelses wand to use the summoning charm to get back their own wand.
    Makes sense I guess. In Book 4 Harry simply said accio broomstick to get his firebolt in the first task. Though I would have thought that anyone sent to Azkaban for a life sentence would have their wand broken. Hagrid had his broken for supposedly opening the Chamber of Secrets and Harry was threatened with having his broken just for a bit of improper use of magic. I was thinking that using the unforgivable curses was improper too. Strange, but JKR really does seem to be leaving some gaping holes in the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Time for the ultimate Harry Potter question for the ultimate Harry Potter discussion. How do wizards and witches get their wands back after being either locked away in Azkaban or even demoted to spirit form ala Voldemort?
    Maybe they have insiders who will give them back their wand at the end (say like Malfoy having such an influence on people, well he could bribe or threaten the guards into giving them their wand.) That's if they break out from azkaban. Maybe their wands are kept under lock and key or given to a person to look after them for when or if they are released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Perhaps that is how Sirius is going to play a part in the final two books as people are already talking about. If there were any portaits of him painted, then he would retain the ability to help Harry. Here I was wondering why everyone was obsessed with the two way mirror thing.
    Because didn't J K say that it would be used later in the books or something. Or maybe I just imagined it.

ReputationRep:
    You know, I would hope that after completing book 7, JK rowling decides to do a history of the hogwarts world and fully explain the mythology, a bit like the silmarillion does for middle earth.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.