Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I'll field this one. Ya see when our big tough boy phoenix (Fawkes) comes across a lonely damsel in distress girl phoenix (Mrs. Fawkes) he does the strangest thing. He gets behind the girl phoenix and tries his hardest to leapfrog her. He keeps this up for a little while, but to no avail. After giving it a good shot he gives up and goes off to get on with better things, perhaps another death A while later, more little Fawkes' appear on the scene
    But we don't know that phoenixes are born like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Ah, I stand corrected. Thankyou That sorts that part out, but did he really destroy the stone? and how did he come to have it in his possession to begin with if Flamel was the only known creator?
    It is kind of odd that dumbledore would have access to the vault it was stored in. Unless he was keeping it for Flamel longer than it was at hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Ah, I stand corrected. Thankyou That sorts that part out, but did he really destroy the stone? and how did he come to have it in his possession to begin with if Flamel was the only known creator?
    Well, it was flamel's stone, and he gave it to dumbledore for safekeeping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    but surely the character of the person in the portrait is retained, so even if a second one was made, if the person was good, nothing would change that fact.
    *nods* good point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    It is kind of odd that dumbledore would have access to the vault it was stored in. Unless he was keeping it for Flamel longer than it was at hogwarts.
    Indeed. Dumbledore also said that Flamel had enough stocks of the elixir (sp) to set his affairs in order. I still think Dumbledore is using the stone, otherwise why didn't he destroy it at the beginning of the book? He knew someone was after it, but risked it being stolen anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    *nods* good point
    Although, saying that, we know that portraits can be intimidated and damaged, which might be enough to turn them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Indeed. Dumbledore also said that Flamel had enough stocks of the elixir (sp) to set his affairs in order. I still think Dumbledore is using the stone, otherwise why didn't he destroy it at the beginning of the book? He knew someone was after it, but risked it being stolen anyway?
    I think at the beginning of the book, hagrid was collecting it from the vault, where flamel had put it, and bringing it to dumbledore, rather than dumbledore putting it in there for safekeeping.

ReputationRep:
    I think at the beginning of the book, hagrid was collecting it from the vault, where flamel had put it, and bringing it to dumbledore, rather than dumbledore putting it in there for safekeeping.
    Then wouldn't the note that Hagrid gave to the goblins have been from Flamel?

ReputationRep:
    Then wouldn't the note that Hagrid gave to the goblins have been from Flamel?
    probably, we do not know where hagrid came from when he came to get harry, so he could have just been to flamel.

ReputationRep:
    probably, we do not know where hagrid came from when he came to get harry, so he could have just been to flamel.
    If you'll remember, the note was from dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    If you'll remember, the note was from dumbledore.
    Maybe the vault belonged to hogwarts but the stone had been deposited by flamel.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the vault belonged to hogwarts but the stone had been deposited by flamel.
    It was a top security vault too I wonder if Flamel could have afforded the price. Then again Dumbledore would have worked something out. Back to the post stating the chocolate frog card about Dumbledore. Is there anything more to be learnt about this evil wizard Grindelwald? I think Dumbledore got his Order of Merlin 1st Class for defeating him/her, but just how great was this wizard?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question for you guys now. Can the person in a portrait still be living and have all the powers of those dead people in the portraits? I don't see how it would work, but all pictures in the magical world seem to be alive. Or are only those with dead peopl alive? It would be rather interesting though. Dumbledore to be in several places at once. Note that Bellatrix's portrait was taken down in the Black residence in book 5. Was this because it may have allowed a Voldemort spy into the headquarters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    It was a top security vault too I wonder if Flamel could have afforded the price. Then again Dumbledore would have worked something out. Back to the post stating the chocolate frog card about Dumbledore. Is there anything more to be learnt about this evil wizard Grindelwald? I think Dumbledore got his Order of Merlin 1st Class for defeating him/her, but just how great was this wizard?
    Well, it is generally accepted that dumbledore is the greatest and most powerful wizard in the world, and the only one that voldermort fears.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is generally accepted that dumbledore is the greatest and most powerful wizard in the world, and the only one that voldermort fears.
    Believed to be the greatest by everyone except Dumbledore himself Could Grindelwald perhaps be a female name? And thus Voldemort's mother? Grindelwald = Gwan L Riddle ??? Best one I could come up with using the letters gnwal for the first names

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Believed to be the greatest by everyone except Dumbledore himself Could Grindelwald perhaps be a female name? And thus Voldemort's mother? Grindelwald = Gwan L Riddle ??? Best one I could come up with using the letters gnwal for the first names
    I am not sure, although I doubt that volermorts mother was evil, although she was a sliverin.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure, although I doubt that volermorts mother was evil, although she was a sliverin.
    Just an idea. Was looking at the name Grindelwald and 'Riddle' just seemed to jump out at me all of a sudden Are you on the other Harry Potter forum as advertised in most of our sigs at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Just an idea. Was looking at the name Grindelwald and 'Riddle' just seemed to jump out at me all of a sudden Are you on the other Harry Potter forum as advertised in most of our sigs at all?
    Nope, this is the only forum I am a member of.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, this is the only forum I am a member of.
    Pity, you post rather a lot on this thread. Perhaps you should come and join us with our fledgling little forum Join Hufflepuff, the greatest house of all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Pity, you post rather a lot on this thread. Perhaps you should come and join us with our fledgling little forum Join Hufflepuff, the greatest house of all
    I would no want to be in hufflepuff though, I would much prefer to be a ravenclaw.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.