Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I've been away for a two days and theres 5 pages to catch up on! (btw, I am now a fully-fledged graduate!)

(Original post by PadFoot90)
    i voted 2. I would want 2-3-1. If we find out what wormtail is doing, it may give us some tiny clue as too what volde is up to in the coming books.
    I think itrs quite obvious what Wormtails been up to. If you think about it he'll have been lying low, probably helping Voldemort recruit followers. He can't have been doing too much because most of the wizarding world thought he was dead. I agree with Moncal, I'll be voting to find out about the Howler.

(Original post by Sire)
    Time for the ultimate Harry Potter question for the ultimate Harry Potter discussion. How do wizards and witches get their wands back after being either locked away in Azkaban or even demoted to spirit form ala Voldemort? Sirius and the captured death eaters all had wands after breaking out from Azkaban. The exception being Book 3 when Sirius had to borrow Ron's wand. Yet I can't for the life of me figure out how Voldemort managed to get his wand back. He was forced from his body after trying to kill Harry. Wouldn't the wand be lying on the ground? Just thinking logically here. Yet Voldemort had his wand back in Book 4 when he killed the old man and Bertha Jorkins. Then Pettigrew used it to kill Cedric. Just how do they retrieve their wands like that?
    Its magic? Dunno, I do agree though, if they were going to snap Harry's wand just for doing a bit of under age magic I'm very surprised that captured Death Eater's wands were kept in tact.

(Original post by moncal)
    One site I was on said that Dumbledore was born in 1850.
    Which would be about right if he was 150 years old, remember the first book starts in 1991.

(Original post by Sire)
    Righto, but he helped Nicolas Flamel develop the Philosopher's Stone. I seem to remember reading that Mr Flamel was already some 650 years old approximately. Even if purebloods live for about 200 years, Dumbledore has got to be somewhat older than 150. Is this a bit of writer's block on the part of JKR? Also, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but it wasn't exactly proven that the Philosopher's Stone ever was destroyed. Is it possible that Dumbledore draws some of his power from it and possibly never destroyed it. Voldemort simply said that Dumbledore would have destroyed it, but it wasn't definite. Dumbledore did confidently duel with a wizard he believed to be more powerful than himself when going up against Voldemort in Book 5. Does anyone else think I'm onto something? Would JKR throw it in again as yet another red herring?
    Sorry, I have to disagree here. It was Flamel's stone and Dumbledore said that Nicholas had destroyed it. I can't see any reason to doubt that. I don't think Dumbledore had anything to do with the Philosophers Stone. Didn't it say on the wizard card that they worked together on the 12 uses of Dragons blood.

(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    You know, I would hope that after completing book 7, JK rowling decides to do a history of the hogwarts world and fully explain the mythology, a bit like the silmarillion does for middle earth.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that she might. She said that we wouldn't need anymore story at the end of the series but she might consider doing an encyclopedia thing for charity again.

(Original post by Sire)
    Ah, I stand corrected. Thankyou That sorts that part out, but did he really destroy the stone? and how did he come to have it in his possession to begin with if Flamel was the only known creator?
    Because Flamel and Dumbledore realised that Voldemort might be after the stone and Flamel asked Dumbledore to hide it for his at Hogwarts (an even safer place to hide something than Gringotts) This is all explained in PS.
    (Original post by Sire)
    Interesting question for you guys now. Can the person in a portrait still be living and have all the powers of those dead people in the portraits? I don't see how it would work, but all pictures in the magical world seem to be alive. Or are only those with dead peopl alive? It would be rather interesting though. Dumbledore to be in several places at once. Note that Bellatrix's portrait was taken down in the Black residence in book 5. Was this because it may have allowed a Voldemort spy into the headquarters?
    It was only a photo of Bellatrix that was at Grimmauld Place, not a portrait, I think portraits have more powers than photos. Photos can only move about and wave, portraits can talk.

ReputationRep:
    I would no want to be in hufflepuff though, I would much prefer to be a ravenclaw.
    Ah well. Please join and see what its like. Takes a bit to get used to, but its getting really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Ah well. Please join and see what its like. Takes a bit to get used to, but its getting really good
    I might do if I can be bothered.

On another point, who taught magic before hogwarts?

ReputationRep:
    I might do if I can be bothered.

On another point, who taught magic before hogwarts?
    I don't think anyone really taught it en masse like a school. Possibly just a few small groups of people recognising each other as magical and experimenting with wands. Then the four greats banded together to form Hogwarts to put the skills to good use. Don't know about the other magical schools though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I don't think anyone really taught it en masse like a school. Possibly just a few small groups of people recognising each other as magical and experimenting with wands. Then the four greats banded together to form Hogwarts to put the skills to good use. Don't know about the other magical schools though
    As far as I am aware, hogwarts is the oldest of the three schools.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware, hogwarts is the oldest of the three schools.
    *nods* have to agree there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    *nods* have to agree there.
    I am wondering, what house did dumbledore belong to, and was he a descendent of one of the 4 founders of hogwarts?

ReputationRep:
    I am wondering, what house did dumbledore belong to, and was he a descendent of one of the 4 founders of hogwarts?
    According to those using Moncal's Harry Potter discussion board. Dumbledore was a Gryffindor. I'm pretty sure they used a direct quote too. As for the descendent part, I have absolutely no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    According to those using Moncal's Harry Potter discussion board. Dumbledore was a Gryffindor. I'm pretty sure they used a direct quote too. As for the descendent part, I have absolutely no idea.
    I reckon rowling should do a geneology from the 4 founders to harry's generation.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon rowling should do a geneology from the 4 founders to harry's generation.
    That would certainly clear up who the heirs are.

How much does one of the hard cover books cost in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    That would certainly clear up who the heirs are.

How much does one of the hard cover books cost in the UK?
    I got my hardback copy of OOTP cost £9.99.

ReputationRep:
    thats a great idea. She really should do something like that Silmarillion thing. Though by going from what I've seen on her site, she doubts she will be doing anything more on Harry Potter after book 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    thats a great idea. She really should do something like that Silmarillion thing. Though by going from what I've seen on her site, she doubts she will be doing anything more on Harry Potter after book 7
    It really will be a shame if she doesn't, almost criminal. She creates her own world, but rather than expanding on it, as tolkein did, just abandon it after book 7.

ReputationRep:
    I got my hardback copy of OOTP cost £9.99.
    Gawd. I had to fork over nigh on $40 Australian for mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Gawd. I had to fork over nigh on $40 Australian for mine.
    Well, it might have been on special offer, I can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    It really will be a shame if she doesn't, almost criminal. She creates her own world, but rather than expanding on it, as tolkein did, just abandon it after book 7.
    Agreed. I wonder how she developed her own world though. I've written two books myself. Did those a few years back with my father. He was more in depth than I was, but his best novel (unpublished as yet) was set in 1960s outback Australia and before he actually got writing, he started by kind of drawing up his characters, and then drawing up the setting and backdrop of the book. If JKR did something similar, I hope she at least gets them published. Going by what my father did, it would be quite a novel in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Agreed. I wonder how she developed her own world though. I've written two books myself. Did those a few years back with my father. He was more in depth than I was, but his best novel (unpublished as yet) was set in 1960s outback Australia and before he actually got writing, he started by kind of drawing up his characters, and then drawing up the setting and backdrop of the book. If JKR did something similar, I hope she at least gets them published. Going by what my father did, it would be quite a novel in itself.
    I have tried to start writing at least a short story, but have never got very far, at least not using an orginal idea, I am a lot better with fan fict type stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure I remember this being mentioned a few thousand posts ago, but roughly when I expect to be walking into a store to hand over my hard earnt money for Book 7 in the Harry Potter series?
    2525 will man still be alive? I wonder if woman can survive (sorry zager&evans moment, great song)

ReputationRep:
    I have tried to start writing at least a short story, but have never got very far, at least not using an orginal idea, I am a lot better with fan fict type stuff.
    Got any links to your stuff? I'd love to take a gander

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Got any links to your stuff? I'd love to take a gander
    Well, I have 3 or 4 chapters of a final fantasy 7 fanfic on http://www.fanfiction.net. Just search of wiwarin and you should get it. (it's called shadow bane)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.