Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Its definately mentioned in book 4, right at the very end when everyones leaving and Krum and Fleur come to say good bye. It mentions the carriages first then it specifically says "horseless carriages"
    JKR says that right...i meant like harry doesn't mention it..also..when reading the begining of book 5 i first thought about harry's parents dieing not cedric but i guess it works either way..

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    JKR says that right...i meant like harry doesn't mention it..also..when reading the begining of book 5 i first thought about harry's parents dieing not cedric but i guess it works either way..

CR
    I thought that too at first, but if it was his parents dying then he would have been able to see the Thestrals from book two, which he hasnt, and I think later in book 5 it says something about having to have experienced death and registered it (not those words) but really understand it, where when he was a baby he really didnt know what was happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    I thought that too at first, but if it was his parents dying then he would have been able to see the Thestrals from book two, which he hasnt, and I think later in book 5 it says something about having to have experienced death and registered it (not those words) but really understand it, where when he was a baby he really didnt know what was happening.
    ok..glad thaTS CLEARED UP

CR

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question, who told Umbridge about the first DA meeting, the one in the Hogs Head? She must've had some idea coz she passed that educational decree number 24 straight after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    Here's a "more refined picture of GO.

http://www.fantafilm.it/attori/OLDMAN.JPG
    I guess that that picture DOES make him look a little better, though i would have still prefered the director's looks as Sirius instead.
    Will Harry be able to perform the Avadra Kedavra curse by book 7? Maybe he will be so full of anger from people close to him dying that he might. I agree that maybe losing a wand could help the duelling, but maybe Harry should buy a new wand just for that purpose. Still think that we haven't seen the last of the Gryffindor sword.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question, who told Umbridge about the first DA meeting, the one in the Hogs Head? She must've had some idea coz she passed that educational decree number 24 straight after
    I'm not sure how. Was it mentioned in the book? Maybe she had spies around Harry because she was suspicious of him. Maybe she got Draco Malfoy to hide under a dark cloak, or maybe she was there herself. But I HATE Umbridge, and Fred and George are the best. 2 of the only few people Peeves would listenm to. Long live the pranksters!

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks!

Been away from the board all weekend (sometimes we need to take a break ) Anyhow, yesterday, I bought Sorceror's Stone in Spanish hoping to start reading it later this week. But, that's not what I want to talk about. Gary Oldman/Sirius. I've kept this back for a while, but to my understanding, Gary Oldman is often referred to as a very "sexy"/"attractive" man. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, they're making him look old and worn for this movie as he recently escaped from azkaban (death eaters, nothing to live for, wilting away, etc) and has been on the run living as a dog? Think about it, they want him to look old and haggard for this movie. Now for GoF and OOTP, they'll probably have him back to his usual self. Seriously, look at that guy, cut his hair, give him a bath and a shave, and a couple of good meals, he'll probably look a lot better.

Just my two cents
    Oops! Typo...
    Could it be that maybe, just maybe, they're making him look old and worn for this movie as he recently escaped from azkaban (death eaters, nothing to live for, wilting away, etc) and has been on the run living as a dog?

Mean Dementors not Death Eaters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I'm not sure how. Was it mentioned in the book? Maybe she had spies around Harry because she was suspicious of him. Maybe she got Draco Malfoy to hide under a dark cloak, or maybe she was there herself. But I HATE Umbridge, and Fred and George are the best. 2 of the only few people Peeves would listenm to. Long live the pranksters!
    I presumed that someone in the 3 broomsticks had told her- Mundungus was there as Dumbledore's spy + so it wouldn't be suprising if Umbridge had her own spy there. might be wrong tho.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ok, sorry to keep quoting the books, but I've just had a thought. Reading book 5 where Snape's being inspected by Umbridge, she askes how long he's been in the position and he says 14 years, she then says that he originally applied for the DADA job.

So we now know that 14 years ago there were two teaching vacancies at Hogwarts, Potions teacher and Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, we also know that 14 years ago Lily and James died. Any possibility they were Hogwarts teachers?

Just an idea, anyone else got any thought on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, sorry to keep quoting the books, but I've just had a thought. Reading book 5 where Snape's being inspected by Umbridge, she askes how long he's been in the position and he says 14 years, she then says that he originally applied for the DADA job.

So we now know that 14 years ago there were two teaching vacancies at Hogwarts, Potions teacher and Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, we also know that 14 years ago Lily and James died. Any possibility they were Hogwarts teachers?

Oh, I like that. Good thinking. But I always expected them to be doing more "important type work". Like Aurors or something. Plus, could they be teachers and make all of that money? (if indeed they earned it instead of inherrited it)

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I like that. Good thinking. But I always expected them to be doing more "important type work". Like Aurors or something. Plus, could they be teachers and make all of that money? (if indeed they earned it instead of inherrited it)
    I thought of that too, I always figured they'd be something really important, not that teachers aren't important, but you know what I mean. I guess they could've inherited(sp?) all that gold, coz if Harry's only living relatives are the Dursley's then I reckon he must've had Grandparents etcwho died and left Lily and James money.

Also quite a few of my friends had parents who both were teachers and they always seemed quite well off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I guess that that picture DOES make him look a little better, though i would have still prefered the director's looks as Sirius instead.
    Will Harry be able to perform the Avadra Kedavra curse by book 7? Maybe he will be so full of anger from people close to him dying that he might. I agree that maybe losing a wand could help the duelling, but maybe Harry should buy a new wand just for that purpose. Still think that we haven't seen the last of the Gryffindor sword.
    mybe harry won't want a new wand because then even though harry could duel properly..he also leaves the door open for voldemort to properly kill him and so far harry doesn't kno how to use avada kedavra

CR

ReputationRep:
    Ok here goes: She had a spy (willy widdershins) there. He was the one who did the toilets Mr. Weasley had to deal with. The ministry let him off so he could be a spy for them. See the bottem of page 613 and the top of page 614 for more info.

Is anyone else here a little sick of talking about who likes who??

ReputationRep:

Hmmm...that's quite interesting- well calculated! I don't think it would be Lilly and James but you never know- and if it's not them- who were the teachers? -anyone important? Perhaps we'll find out...

(Original post by SiriusFan)
    Is anyone else here a little sick of talking about who likes who??
    Please elaborate on what's annoying you- do you mean when people are saying they like actors or do you mean character love plots?
    Not sure what you meant though I can say that I'm not really 'sick' of anything at the moment...

ReputationRep:

i like that thought a lot!!

CR

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE] Please elaborate on what's annoying you- do you mean when people are saying they like actors or do you mean character love plots?
    Not sure what you meant though I can say that I'm not really 'sick' of anything at the moment...[/QUOTE]

I mean the whole charactor love stuff. Like the harry/hermoine or harry/ginny or harry/cho or harry/luna. I mean, i think there are much more interesting things to think and talk about. Like some is good because it does play a role, but not that big a role... yet.

Anyway sorry if i offended anyone but i am just voicing an opinion.

Hmmmm this book has harry acting way different then the others. I think i could have done without the whole dumbledore tantrum at the end. It made me SO mad that he was yelling at dumbledore, even tho i think he is bad

ReputationRep:

That's a pretty decent idea. However, to be honest, I think that Harry's parents WOULD have had more important jobs. Don't forget that many people would have died during Voldie's 1st reign, and that could have included Hogwarts teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.BigBasilisk)
    ahahah, read that folks... it's one of the stupidest sh*t i have ever read about harrypotter, lol, it doesn't even make sense

http://www.net-cities.com/cgi-bin/Hy.../9.html?nogifs

notice that Alannia (whatever...) is the daughter of Sirius and Dumbledore's wife (btw, she died before giving birth to her daughter... ya, of course...) and he also says that Alannia is the daugter of dumbledore and her wife.... riiight, she's the daughter of 2 Griffindors and is the Ravenclaw phoenix (whatever...).... anyways, just check it out, it's hilarious
    Yes, I know this is from the first page...I was going through this thread more closely because I had missed loads and I happen to notice it when I didn't when it was first post...

God the person who wrote that is thick!

Sorry the stop the flow of the thread...

Oh and I think James Potter was DAD teacher and Lily Potions too....

ReputationRep:
    Please elaborate on what's annoying you- do you mean when people are saying they like actors or do you mean character love plots?
    Not sure what you meant though I can say that I'm not really 'sick' of anything at the moment...

I mean the whole charactor love stuff. Like the harry/hermoine or harry/ginny or harry/cho or harry/luna. I mean, i think there are much more interesting things to think and talk about. Like some is good because it does play a role, but not that big a role... yet.

Hmmmm this book has harry acting way different then the others. I think i could have done without the whole dumbledore tantrum at the end. It made me SO mad that he was yelling at dumbledore, even tho i think he is bad

Who are you asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)

Hmmmm this book has harry acting way different then the others. I think i could have done without the whole dumbledore tantrum at the end. It made me SO mad that he was yelling at dumbledore, even tho i think he is bad[/QUOTE]

Who are you asking?[/QUOTE]

ok why did this come up like i wrote it??? I it write it, sirius fan did!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.