Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Yeah, she has had quite a few people curled up on couches clutching a magical piece of work hasn't she.
    I think it is the first book for ages that is read by all ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Well, as a reading fan, I feel cheated if the author keeps giving us hints and red herrings, why can't she just get on and write the next book.
    I guess her private life would have a lot to do with it. We certainly are in no position to deny her that simple pleasure in life. Though from her point of view, if she really is getting sick of Harry Potter, it would make sense to get it all out of the way. Especially as she claims to have had the entire story mapped out in her mind from the very start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I guess her private life would have a lot to do with it. We certainly are in no position to deny her that simple pleasure in life. Though from her point of view, if she really is getting sick of Harry Potter, it would make sense to get it all out of the way. Especially as she claims to have had the entire story mapped out in her mind from the very start.
    But still, messing about with fans, it strikes me as rather callous and unthanking.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is the first book for ages that is read by all ages.
    I'd have to agree. Also, I saw in one of those strange little tidbits sections of my preferred weekend rag something saying that a higher percentage of 6yr old children could spell HP stuff better than other common words.
    Harry Potter - 80%
    Hogwarts - 60%
    Mother - 40%
    Father - 40%
    School - 10

Not exact figures, but you get the gist of it Not bad for an author who didn't think she would be published.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I'd have to agree. Also, I saw in one of those strange little tidbits sections of my preferred weekend rag something saying that a higher percentage of 6yr old children could spell HP stuff better than other common words.
    Harry Potter - 80%
    Hogwarts - 60%
    Mother - 40%
    Father - 40%
    School - 10

Not exact figures, but you get the gist of it Not bad for an author who didn't think she would be published.
    Well, I think the fame has gone to her head.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think the fame has gone to her head.
    Perhaps. To err is human after all. Unless she is dreaming she is magical now. Grr I really wish she would hurry up and finish the books. A few pots of coffee is all it will take her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Perhaps. To err is human after all. Unless she is dreaming she is magical now. Grr I really wish she would hurry up and finish the books. A few pots of coffee is all it will take her.
    exactly, the less time she spends giving out hints and red herrings, the more time she has to write.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, the less time she spends giving out hints and red herrings, the more time she has to write.
    Indeed. Ah well. On the bright side, she seems to be enjoying herself which means her books will be better. You'll know what I mean if you've ever had to write a 5000 word short story when you're having a bit of a bad day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Indeed. Ah well. On the bright side, she seems to be enjoying herself which means her books will be better. You'll know what I mean if you've ever had to write a 5000 word short story when you're having a bit of a bad day.
    I see your point, torturing fans can bring enjoyment.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point, torturing fans can bring enjoyment.
    lol, nice one See, you do have a sense of humour after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    lol, nice one See, you do have a sense of humour after all
    Well, we do try at times.

ReputationRep:
    Here goes one of those patented Egan posts.

(Original post by Brooklyn)
    Come on Lady Blitzer! I did it!

Goodness people- I'm gone a week and I still have 3rd highest posts! Catch up!
    I'm trying but I have a couple hundred to go.

Animagi: If a wizard was an Animagi he would eventually die- unlike the Phoenix, so I think its unlikely Fawkes is Godric- plus- there are portraits of ALL the former headmasters- dont you think whoever came right after him would have KNOWN he was one? plus I'm sure he was registered and therefore Hermione would know as well
    Unless he became an animagi before registration was required

Wand Cores:wands are made from a magical tree (inhabited and protected by bowtrunkles) and in the case of Ollivander's, a magical core is inserted (probably magically)- however, the way he advertises this in book 1 makes me think there have been wand makers in the past who don't make a core- am I alone on this?
    I thought it said that bowtruckles like wand trees, but other trees could be made into wands. I wonder, how many wands can a single tree produce? Can it make hundreds or can it only make one.

Book8: JK says on the site she MIGHT make a encyclopedia book thing (like H,aH) for charity when its all over with- its on FAQ I believe- she also said you won't need to know what happens to all the characters cause that is what the last chapter of book 7 is, which she wrote long ago when she was writing book 1- that whole "Harry where is your scar?" thing was a stupid rumor- she has never ever said that- she DID say the last word MIGHT be scar, but she said she might change that as she is ALWAYS rewriting
    Yeah, that rumor probably started because she said it might end with the word scar.

(Original post by Sire)
    Perhaps she doesn't respect us. After all, how many of us can say we've written 5 best sellers on the trot that have captivated almost an entire generation?
    I'm sure that she does respect us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Maybe we'll find out about the character's futures in the last chapter. Maybe just after leaving school, or a bit into the future. I reckon it might be in the future. I was thinking when Harry has a kid, or Ron or Hermione have a kid, or on the kid's 1st birthday or something. And they look back at what happened to everyone. Cheesy I know.
    Btw, keep up the good posting guys. Only problem is that I'm off for the whole weekend, and will have quite a few pages to read. And to make matters worse, I'm off on holiday on wednesday for a month, so I'll have tons of pages to read. I'll be back sometimes though, especially to try and get the 10,000th post if it happens to be when I'm on holiday. Hopefully, I'll still have my posting lead then.
    Don't go Xenon, the thread always gets closed when you go away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Is that true? Did JKR really say that? I'm kinda pissed off at that to be honest. Not at moncal, but the fact that if JKR did say that, then it is certain that Harry lives. Bang goes half the mystery of the book that she added with the wording of the prophecy.
    Thats why i dont think its true at all. There goes the whole ending of the series. It cant be true.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that bugs me is the fact she will only do another book for charity, suggesting she cares so little for the world she created she will not do a background anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that bugs me is the fact she will only do another book for charity, suggesting she cares so little for the world she created she will not do a background anyway.
    well we are still years away from book 7, plenty of time to change her mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    well we are still years away from book 7, plenty of time to change her mind.
    She does not have the mentality that is right for such an epic series, she will leave so many things unexplained.

ReputationRep:
    She does not have the mentality that is right for such an epic series, she will leave so many things unexplained.
    Well about this whole disrespect thing, i dont agree. She made a website, between all the time devoted to her family and writing the books, she still has time to give us clues and hints, not to mention field many questions and appear on TV. I dont think she disrespects us at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Well about this whole disrespect thing, i dont agree. She made a website, between all the time devoted to her family and writing the books, she still has time to give us clues and hints, not to mention field many questions and appear on TV. I dont think she disrespects us at all.
    Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh on the disrespect, but still, she is prepared to abandon her world with completing the mythology and background of it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh on the disrespect, but still, she is prepared to abandon her world with completing the mythology and background of it.
    But really, how long can she be expected to continue with it? She has a family now

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.