Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Done!
    I know what you mean. Moncal's HP site is on my favourites but I still find it easier to access it through everyone's links.
    Thanx Xenon. It's going to be hadr to access the site when i go to college in September and don't have access to the home PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Also when she releases the title, the book is only a few months after it.
    I'm sure we knew the title for OotP years before the book was released. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't years, it was A year before it was released- actually- I think it was slightly less- still looking at a June 2005 date in my opinion- although rumor has it the publishers have been after her to get one ready for the Christmas boom since book 3- she just doesn't care what they want

Things Harry discovered in "Chamber" that could lead to something-
    1) He looks alot like Voldie
    2) He speaks Parselmouth
    3) Hagrid/Aragog
    4) He got some of Voldie's powers when he was 1
    5) Ginny poured some of her soul into the diary
    6) Flitwick was a dueling champion when he was young
    7) Fawkes
    8) Dumbledore's Office
    9) Hermione can brew just about any potion
    10) Lucius Malfoy has a secret chamber under his drawing room floor
    11) Gryffindor's sword

anyone think of anything else?

ReputationRep:
    oh- and I saw #3 last night for the first time and you are all nuts! It was WONDERFUL- so much better than the other two- I laughed hard at the Knight Bus- and I got scared in that corridor scene- they did cut some stuff I thought was important, but I guess I'm wrong- like the whole remembering Lily and James screaming, and that Harry's patronus is a stag was kind of glossed over, and the MPPW of course, and Padfoot didn't look like I thought he would- I thought he would be bigger, and I always thought his ears would be floppy- also, funny to discover I've been saying "boggart" wrong all these years! And I missed the scene where the Patronus runs down Malfoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooklyn)
    oh- and I saw #3 last night for the first time and you are all nuts! It was WONDERFUL- so much better than the other two- I laughed hard at the Knight Bus- and I got scared in that corridor scene- they did cut some stuff I thought was important, but I guess I'm wrong- like the whole remembering Lily and James screaming, and that Harry's patronus is a stag was kind of glossed over, and the MPPW of course, and Padfoot didn't look like I thought he would- I thought he would be bigger, and I always thought his ears would be floppy- also, funny to discover I've been saying "boggart" wrong all these years! And I missed the scene where the Patronus runs down Malfoy
    i'm not nuts!! i've always liked the 3rd movie, no matter what anyone says...
    o and from the post before that, i would like to here your reasoning of why 6) and 9) would be important. i don't think they are, really.

ReputationRep:
    oh they might not be- was just coming up with possibles-

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I think everyone else was still expecting the film to be exactly the same as the book. If you compare the 3rd film to the other two its absolutely fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't years, it was A year before it was released- actually- I think it was slightly less- still looking at a June 2005 date in my opinion- although rumor has it the publishers have been after her to get one ready for the Christmas boom since book 3- she just doesn't care what they want

2) He speaks Parselmouth
    3) Hagrid/Aragog
    6) Flitwick was a dueling champion when he was young
    7) Fawkes
    8) Dumbledore's Office
    11) Gryffindor's sword

If this turned out to be important we could see the return of (searches for name...) Borgin as someone suggested a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    who gives a damn? its only a book and a film! besides the battle scenes are crud!

ReputationRep:
    I quite like no. 10 as well (Malfoy having a secret chamber under his drawing room floor.) Particularly the fact that he has in his possession one of Tom Riddle's belongings. I'm sure he must have more! Maybe some clues as to how/why Tom became Voldie?

ReputationRep:
    I also think 4 and 5 are interesting (Harry got some of Voldie's powers and Ginny also had a bit of Tom Riddle poured into her). That does link Harry and Ginny quite a bit. No-one else has had such close connection to Tom/Voldie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    I quite like no. 10 as well (Malfoy having a secret chamber under his drawing room floor.) Particularly the fact that he has in his possession one of Tom Riddle's belongings. I'm sure he must have more! Maybe some clues as to how/why Tom became Voldie?
    Possibly, Dumbledore says something to Lucius about making sure none of Voldemorts school things find their way into innocent hands. I think that option is the most likely that hasn't really been discussed. We've mentioned most of the other feasible ones.

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking that considering the number of unanswered questions, if JK is really going to give all the backstory we could possible want, books 6&7 will need to be massive (living in hope...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Possibly, Dumbledore says something to Lucius about making sure none of Voldemorts school things find their way into innocent hands. I think that option is the most likely that hasn't really been discussed. We've mentioned most of the other feasible ones.
    I wonder how Tom managed to delve into the dark arts so much while he was at Hogwarts. After all, he started using the name Voldemort while still at school. Either the forbidden section of the library was open to all before, or maybe he learnt some things from the chamber of secrets (slytherin may have left something to educate anyone who found the chamber).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    I wonder how Tom managed to delve into the dark arts so much while he was at Hogwarts. After all, he started using the name Voldemort while still at school. Either the forbidden section of the library was open to all before, or maybe he learnt some things from the chamber of secrets (slytherin may have left something to educate anyone who found the chamber).
    Possibly, how did Riddle know that he was Slytherins heir though? Didn't his mother die when he was born then he spent his first 11years in a muggle orphanage? I'm just wondering where he found out about Slytherin.

ReputationRep:
    11) Gryffindor's sword
    Maybe harry is Gryffindor's Heir
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Possibly, how did Riddle know that he was Slytherins heir though? Didn't his mother die when he was born then he spent his first 11years in a muggle orphanage? I'm just wondering where he found out about Slytherin.
    mmmm... interesting point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    mmmm... interesting point
    And one we don't really have an answer to unfortunately. I can't imagine he'll have found out about it at the orphange (unless his mother left him some sort of letter before she died) and it doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that he'd find out at Hogwarts (if other people knew about it Hagrid wouldn't have been accused of opening the Chamber of Secrets)

ReputationRep:

2) He speaks Parselmouth
    3) Hagrid/Aragog
    [/b]6) Flitwick was a dueling champion when he was young[/b]
    7) Fawkes
    8) Dumbledore's Office
    11) Gryffindor's sword

Now the ones i've bolded are the ones that aren't metioned in the movie.

ReputationRep:
    And one we don't really have an answer to unfortunately. I can't imagine he'll have found out about it at the orphange (unless his mother left him some sort of letter before she died) and it doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that he'd find out at Hogwarts (if other people knew about it Hagrid wouldn't have been accused of opening the Chamber of Secrets)
    Don't forget thouhg that we learn more about Voldemorts birth in HBP. So we will most likey find out then.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.