Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, the last two posts I did not write, I dont know what happened. anyway

Siriusfan, who are you talking to?

ReputationRep:
    So....

Remember a while back I said that I thought that dumbledore was manipulating everything and making sure that harry faced Voldie? Well, I think I'm right. I just finished carefully rereading Book One, and at the end, after Harry defeated Quirrel/Voldi, Hermione and Ron came to visit him in the "Hospital Wing". They discussed how Dumbledore kind of figured that harry would try to stop voldemort, and instead of standing in his way, he gave him the knowledge he needed. Dumbledore gave harry the cloak, he also was the one to return it when harry left it in the tower. Dumbledore also told him about the mirror and how it's used. My guess would also be that it was dumbledore's idea that they go into the forrest for detention. I'm betting he already had a pretty good idea who was killing the unicorns, and probably wanted harry to "understand" what voldie was up to. And finally, (this is more of a stretch), I'm betting that Dumbledore told hagrid to give harry the flute ("in case you need it" the note said). I mean, I think that dumbledore has a pretty good idea that either harry has to dispatch of voldemort or vice versa, he knows the whole prophecy and knows that the two will have to battle in the end, so why not train harry early to be able to defeat voldemort while he is still weak. Oh yeah, one more thing, remember when we were talking about the triumphant smile? Well, Dumbledore said at the end of book one while talking to harry that in his "present state" voldemort cannot be killed (because he's bodiless). So, my guess would be that he smiled triumphantly at the end of GoF because he knew that now Harry could "realistically" defeat voldemort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    So....

Remember a while back I said that I thought that dumbledore was manipulating everything and making sure that harry faced Voldie? Well, ............................ defeat voldemort.
    True, that explanation for Dumbledore's "look of triumph" would be the obvious one, but what if the truth behind it goes deeper or is more sinister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    True, that explanation for Dumbledore's "look of triumph" would be the obvious one, but what if the truth behind it goes deeper or is more sinister.
    <i>Dunt dunt daaaaaaaa!</i>

ReputationRep:
    sorry guyz i've been having football practice evryday the past week and i can't sem to get to the computer during the day and now..everything is messed up...when i click on a link it says error website not avalable...so if i don't post for a day don't close the thread...*coughs until voice is deep*I VILL BE BACK*

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Yeah- it was sort of at the wrong moment for it just to be his pride that Harry could face Voldie (damn- I'm typing that without even thing now- VOLDEMORT!)...It has to be something related to the effects him using Harry's blood- whether that's something Voldemort has slipped up on or whether it's something revealing about Dumbledor we have yet to find out...
    Hmmm...*strokes goatie*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Ok, sorry to keep quoting the books, but I've just had a thought. Reading book 5 where Snape's being inspected by Umbridge, she askes how long he's been in the position and he says 14 years, she then says that he originally applied for the DADA job.

So we now know that 14 years ago there were two teaching vacancies at Hogwarts, Potions teacher and Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, we also know that 14 years ago Lily and James died. Any possibility they were Hogwarts teachers?

Just an idea, anyone else got any thought on the matter?
    sorry to go back to this topic (this thread moves on so quickly!). i really like this idea- but i agree that i imagined Lily and James to have jobs like aurors, unspeakables etc. because Voldemort tried to kill them...but hang on a sec, he tried to kill them because of Harry so there's no real reason they should have important jobs. (make sense?). also they were in the OOTP, as are other teachers like Snape and McGonagall + it would explain why they were so close to Dumbledore.

I keep wondering what happened to Voldemort to make him so evil (the psychologist in me coming out! lol), i know he had a pretty rubbish childhood, but so did Harry and he's not a bad cookie (hmmm....cookies). Voldemort was really bright at Hogwarts + was head boy- he could have got a really good job, but oh no he became (more) evil + got his little gang together. *louisa tries to look for the good side on everyone*. Surely a better way of gaining power would be a Hitleresque method through the ministry and basically form a dictatorship?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    sorry to go back to this topic (this thread moves on so quickly!). i really like this idea- but i agree that i imagined Lily and James to have jobs like aurors, unspeakables etc. because Voldemort tried to kill them...but hang on a sec, he tried to kill them because of Harry so there's no real reason they should have important jobs. (make sense?). also they were in the OOTP, as are other teachers like Snape and McGonagall + it would explain why they were so close to Dumbledore.

I keep wondering what happened to Voldemort to make him so evil (the psychologist in me coming out! lol), i know he had a pretty rubbish childhood, but so did Harry and he's not a bad cookie (hmmm....cookies). Voldemort was really bright at Hogwarts + was head boy- he could have got a really good job, but oh no he became (more) evil + got his little gang together. *louisa tries to look for the good side on everyone*. Surely a better way of gaining power would be a Hitleresque method through the ministry and basically form a dictatorship?

lou xxx
    Maybe he was power hungry, and thought that by acting all goodie goodie at choll and becoming head boy, noone would realise his true intentions. I mean we already know that he opened the chamber of secrets, and therefore must have been evil at least in his last years at school. I wonder when Voldie became evil, and why. Is it because he was power hungry, hated the world, or something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    ...I wonder when Voldie became evil, and why. Is it because he was power hungry, hated the world, or something else.
    Yeah, so I'm thinking that it was in his blood. He's the Heir of Slytherine(oops almost wrote air of slytherine, although that might be a bit funnier ) He's supposed to be the bad guy. He naturally hates muggles (look at his life history to see that one). Does anyone else see the corelation between Voldie and Hitler? Both despise what they are. Hitler, looking for the aryian he never could be. Voldie, hating muggles, and half breeds being one himself. He's funny. Oh, one more thing, Voldie and Hitler both have six letters!!! I think it would be funny if harry called him that. Or maybe voldiekins! That'd be kewl.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the wizarding world should all call Voldemort Voldie. Calling him Voldie decrease their fear, as the name sounds less intimidating, nasty and frightening, and would probably annoy the hell out of Voldie himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think that the wizarding world should all call Voldemort Voldie. Calling him Voldie decrease their fear, as the name sounds less intimidating, nasty and frightening, and would probably annoy the hell out of Voldie himself.
    i quite like Voldiekins...sounds almost like a cat or something. I have seen the similarity with Hitler. Both have control because of their power to manipulate other people (Death Eaters/Gestapo) to follow out their orders.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavender)
    OK, the last two posts I did not write, I dont know what happened. anyway

Siriusfan, who are you talking to?
    No one in particular....

Ummm Egan1 can i ask a question? I first came on this post on page 17, but i have read all the others... What does " strokes goatie" mean?

Anyway, not sure i really like the voldie/hitler comparision...

I can't bielive harry called his own father and idiot. See page 670

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking about book 3, remember when lupin and sirius were going to kill wormtail? Imagine wanting to kill someone and almost killing someone who was one of your best friends... It seemed like sirius and lupin made there minds up pretty quickly that they were going to. I hope we see more of wormtail when he was good. It's hard to bielive wormtail would do that. I mean thats like ron killing harry in 20 years.

Hey, it seems like harry, ron hermoine and neville have re-created the Mauraders. Harry is james, Ron is Sirius, Hermoine is lupin ( she trys to control them) ( sometimes) and neville is alot like wormtail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    Ummm Egan1 can i ask a question? I first came on this post on page 17, but i have read all the others... What does " strokes goatie" mean?
    *chuckles*...well now, what would a pondering or deep philosophical moment be without a goatie to caress?

I have a tendency to use '*...*' these to pervay my virtual actions...I often stroke my rather maginificent goatie in moments where I am deep in though etc...

It is an action to accompany deep/curious thinking, not to create it.

---

Hope I have told you what you wanted to know

---

Anyway-back to Harry Potter- (in reference to the most recent post)...let's hope Nevil doesn't turn out like Wormtail!

And will we be seeing more of Mrs Figg this summer holiday?

ReputationRep:
    Why do people keep on replying to this thread?

Ooops I'm a bit hipocritical.

Incidentally, what does the 'hipo' in hipocritical stand for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Why do people keep on replying to this thread?

Ooops I'm a bit hipocritical.

Incidentally, what does the 'hipo' in hipocritical stand for?
    To your first question I shall ask why you ask it? Why should we not continue to discuss a topic of great interest and possibility?!

To your second question I shall say I assume you meant 'hypocritical' rather than 'hipocritical'. As for the question itself, I do not know...however someone else may, or you could probably look it up online (it may well be broken down in a dictionary definition)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    *chuckles*...well now, what would a pondering or deep philosophical moment be without a goatie to caress?

I have a tendency to use '*...*' these to pervay my virtual actions...I often stroke my rather maginificent goatie in moments where I am deep in though etc...

It is an action to accompany deep/curious thinking, not to create it.

---

Hope I have told you what you wanted to know

---

Anyway-back to Harry Potter- (in reference to the most recent post)...let's hope Nevil doesn't turn out like Wormtail!

And will we be seeing more of Mrs Figg this summer holiday?
    I know that in book 3, it seemed as though Neville and Wormtail were similar (I even mentioned it before), but to be honest, he probably is no where near like him. Think back to the first year when Neville stood up to the trio. You think Wormtail would have ever been able to do that to the rest of the Mauraders. Neville has shown himself to be a strong willed character who stands up for his friends (as in the last book especially), and he's focussed. Don't think he could ever side with Voldie. So, Neville is rubbish at potions, but in DADA he's improving, and is proving that he will be a great help to Harry (unlike peter to James). Neville wants to do well, in order to avenge his parents' sanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    I was just thinking about book 3, remember when lupin and sirius were going to kill wormtail? Imagine wanting to kill someone and almost killing someone who was one of your best friends... It seemed like sirius and lupin made there minds up pretty quickly that they were going to. I hope we see more of wormtail when he was good. It's hard to bielive wormtail would do that. I mean thats like ron killing harry in 20 years.

Hey, it seems like harry, ron hermoine and neville have re-created the Mauraders. Harry is james, Ron is Sirius, Hermoine is lupin ( she trys to control them) ( sometimes) and neville is alot like wormtail.

I always looked at it as wormtail was just a tag along, I dont know that they really were great friends but more felt sorry for him and let him tag along.

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking. It would be kind of good if Harry and Voldie both die. If voldie dies then the world is safe and normal again. If harry dies then he will be with all his family and sirius and he would be happy. If harry dies then maybe he would give the Weasley's his gringotts key. that way the weasley's could have a lot of money (which is well needed btw). well thats all i have to say for now.

ohh yea about that re-created maurderers (sp?) thing. the more i think about it the more it seems true. except that neville is both alike and different from wormtail. Now all harry, ron, hermione, and neville have to do is come up with nicknames like the original maurderers.

ReputationRep:
    So hey, fifty pages! Woo hoo. Let's throw a party!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.