The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** Watch

This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Yippee! I can't believe the thread has reached 50 pages. It's exactly what I wanted, but I was afraid that it would die out, but it hasn't. Thanks to everyone for posting, and I hope that you continue to post and keep the thread going. Also, the topic has rarely gone off topic, and some brilliant ideas have come up. Hopefully, this thread will go way past 50 pages, as there is still much to discuss, and new ideas will come up as well as old one.
Although this might not happen, what might be the nicknames for the new "mauraders"?
Peter The Great
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Yippee! I can't believe the thread has reached 50 pages. It's exactly what I wanted, but I was afraid that it would die out, but it hasn't. Thanks to everyone for posting, and I hope that you continue to post and keep the thread going. Also, the topic has rarely gone off topic, and some brilliant ideas have come up. Hopefully, this thread will go way past 50 pages, as there is still much to discuss, and new ideas will come up as well as old one.
Although this might not happen, what might be the nicknames for the new "mauraders"?
In honor of our 50th Page, I've changed my avatar for the day. check it out, Voldie the Clown!
Magic101
Report 15 years ago
hehehe Voldie the clown. i dont know what the new names for the mauraders could be......hmmmmm.....
Peter The Great
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Yippee! .... Although this might not happen, what might be the nicknames for the new "mauraders"?
Hmmm.....The original mauraders nicknamed themselves based on the animals they transformed into. However, the nicknames of the "New Mauraders" might not wind up being animagus. So, if not, maybe their nicknames would be based off of their patronus (patroni?). However, I really couldn't see them running around calling each other nicknames. Different group dynamics there. However, if they could be animagi(?) I think that there's a lesser expressed option for Harry, how about a lion or a griffin? Being that it's looking like he is or may be the heir to Gryffendor, either would be appropriate.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Peter The Great)
Hmmm.....The original mauraders nicknamed themselves based on the animals they transformed into. However, the nicknames of the "New Mauraders" might not wind up being animagus. So, if not, maybe their nicknames would be based off of their patronus (patroni?). However, I really couldn't see them running around calling each other nicknames. Different group dynamics there. However, if they could be animagi(?) I think that there's a lesser expressed option for Harry, how about a lion or a griffin? Being that it's looking like he is or may be the heir to Gryffendor, either would be appropriate.
Good thought, altho Lions and Griffins aren't really common enough to make them a good choice as a disguise. Ginny would be a cat though, there are loads of reference throughout the books to her being cat-like.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oops, sorry, that last one was me, forgot to sign in. D'oh!
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok, I know the films are God awful, but my brother's just made a very good point, they're very useful if you want to find "useful" bit of information from the first two books. JKR oversaw the script writting for them so anything that might be a clue in the books would have to be included in the films, otherwise films 6/7 (if/when they're made) wouldn't make sense.

I know thats not very clear, but do you get what I mean?
Peter The Great
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Ok, I know the films are God awful, but my brother's just made a very good point, they're very useful if you want to find "useful" bit of information from the first two books. JKR oversaw the script writting for them so anything that might be a clue in the books would have to be included in the films, otherwise films 6/7 (if/when they're made) wouldn't make sense.

Good thinking!!! I hadn't even considered that. In fact, as I've been reading book 2 these past few days, I've been thinking about a lot of the inconsistancies between the book and the movie (never anything big) just little things. Good point though.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
50 pages WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyway, I don't think we should even venture a guss as to the nicknames, until we know what they would turn into.

About harry's parents being teachers, i would find that very disapointing. I hope they were something very secret. I think the fact lily was good at charms will have to do with her career, but if they were teachres, i think she would have been charms teacher and james would have been DADA
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by ditzy blonde)

Yup, that is a very decent point by your brother. I mean, there are quite a few things left out in the movie. And that point might be even more important in the next few movies, as the books are bigger and more things will be left out. Unfortunately quidditch is one of those things. Harry loves quidditch, and one of the reasons is that in the midst of problems and adventures, he can forget about things while playing. In the movies, the quidditch would lighten up otherwise dark scenes maybe. Also, how will we find out how Harry got the firebolt if they don't show the matches (will they show them, because cho chang actress and oliver wood actor won't be in the next movie). In book 4, Harry needs his firebolt and Sirius sent it to him. They can't leave out the firebolt, but how will they put it in. And Harry wins the quidditch cup in 3rd year. What I'm really trying to say, is that will the quidditch matches, or at least the last one be shown, even if there's no Wood? I thought that the last quidditch cup match was a brill part of the 3rd book.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Yup, that is a very decent point by your brother. I mean, there are quite a few things left out in the movie. And that point might be even more important in the next few movies, as the books are bigger and more things will be left out. Unfortunately quidditch is one of those things...
Are they not putting any of the matches in? Surely they will- they're a key part of the plot in book three- and weren't they considering making 2 movies anyway (there must be some time in there for some broomstick-action)- oh no that was book four...
Hmmm...

And having just read your post- I wonder who will play Cho?!

Twas a good point about the hints...the only thing is you'd have to put up with watching them carefully -I don't think I could stand going through the dobby scenes again...and then there's the cringilating 'Hogwarts is no place without you Hagrid' ending *shudder*...

Ah well...

As for the marauders thing- tis a good idea but I don't know if they're all going to get nicknames and stuff...

-Do people think Harry will start up DA again? Or with a new and hopefully nicer teacher- will there be no need?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Are they not putting any of the matches in? Surely they will- they're a key part of the plot in book three- and weren't they considering making 2 movies anyway (there must be some time in there for some broomstick-action)- oh no that was book four...
Hmmm...

And having just read your post- I wonder who will play Cho?!

Twas a good point about the hints...the only thing is you'd have to put up with watching them carefully -I don't think I could stand going through the dobby scenes again...and then there's the cringilating 'Hogwarts is no place without you Hagrid' ending *shudder*...

Ah well...

As for the marauders thing- tis a good idea but I don't know if they're all going to get nicknames and stuff...

-Do people think Harry will start up DA again? Or with a new and hopefully nicer teacher- will there be no need?
I think he will start it back up, but i don't think it will be as exciting, since half the fun was it was secret
Xenon
Rep:
?
What I don't know is if they can do the matches if Cho chang and Wood are not in the movie. But certainly the 2 matches are very important. The first is when dementors come, and is one reason why Harry wanted to learn how to create a patronus, which is essential for the latter part of the story. The 2nd is when Harry wins the quidditch for Gryffindor.
I would have thought that these were 2 parts J K Rowling would want in the movie. I hope that the producer found some way of having the quidditch matches without cho and wood.
Also hope that we see more of Fred and George. Harry was right! The wizards do need some laughs, as do the books (the twins livened up a pretty dark book 5). They will also hopefully join the order, as the whole Weasley family bar the underage wizards and the adamants, and somewhat powerhungry (little like wormtail) Percy.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by SiriusFan)
I think he will start it back up, but i don't think it will be as exciting, since half the fun was it was secret
I reckon the DA will remain, with HArry continuing as the teacher. However, I wonder if it will be open to the whole school, or just to last years lot. Dumbledore will probably want the club to remain, as these lot are the future, and maybe will help in the fight against voldie and the death eaters. And many will probably come to HArry's aid if needed.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I reckon the DA will remain, with HArry continuing as the teacher. However, I wonder if it will be open to the whole school, or just to last years lot. Dumbledore will probably want the club to remain, as these lot are the future, and maybe will help in the fight against voldie and the death eaters. And many will probably come to HArry's aid if needed.
I would imagine it would be open to the whole school, you can never have to much help against volde. But then again, u don't want a son of a death eater ( like some first year slytherin) coming in and telling all ur secrets, although i bet volde has more to worrry about then the D.A., but then again, only 6 of the DA fought of like 15 death eaters.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by SiriusFan)
I would imagine it would be open to the whole school, you can never have to much help against volde. But then again, u don't want a son of a death eater ( like some first year slytherin) coming in and telling all ur secrets, although i bet volde has more to worrry about then the D.A., but then again, only 6 of the DA fought of like 15 death eaters.
That reminds me, do you think that Draco Malfoy is evil, and will join or has already joined the ranks of Voldie, or do you think that he will end up fighting against him, regardless of who his father is?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
That reminds me, do you think that Draco Malfoy is evil, and will join or has already joined the ranks of Voldie, or do you think that he will end up fighting against him, regardless of who his father is?
Hmmmmm the obvious thing to do would have him side volde, but i dunno, JKR doesn't like the obvious, but it would be such a big charactor change for draco to be good, i am not sure it could happen.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=Unregistered

Ummmmmmmm ppl remember Voldermort only heard part of the prophecy he only heard the part about Harry not nevielle so thats why voldermort went after him
Xenon
Rep:
?
What are you quoting from?
Ok, sorry guys, just realsied that that was a lousy way to start off a new page. I'll just say that Voldie made up his mind, and therefore has "marked Harry".
Just realised that this is the 1000th post. Keep posting everyone!
Peter The Great
Report 15 years ago
Ok, so I was reading CoS last night, and a familiar name struck me. Did you guys know that Mundungus (sp?) was mentioned as far back as book two? Something like he was trying to jinx Mr. Weasley or something. Kind of interesting.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads