Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Neville's parents can't just *become* sane again, they're pretty much addled.
    Harry can't become evil and *unite* with Voldermort - he's the main character and making him evil would muck up any hope of him defeating Voldermort a la prophecy.
    Snape as Half-Blood prince is possible though. Especially when you think how James Potter (pure blood?) taunted him, in the same way that Malfoy taunts Hermionie etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the hbp is a new character since jkr cut the whole hbp storyline out of cos.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by moncal)
    I think that the hbp is a new character since jkr cut the whole hbp storyline out of cos.
    Yes, she did say that nothing remained... so I agree, a new character! (or at least one that has been background...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    If that's so, then there goes all our pages of discussing current HP characters to be the hbp.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't JKR say she'd wanted to make Dean a much more prominant character, and delve into his past? It couldn't be him, could it? He's always been on the sidelines, he's not pure blood (as his parents are muggles), and no one would think of him straight away. Or am I imagining things?

P.S. elpaw, I know what you meant now, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    No she said he was meant to be, but it didn't materialise.

Why does everyone think Harry will die? I think the story will end ambiguously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    Reading through the summaries gave me some ideas...

Wouldn't it be great if in the final scenes, with Harry and Voldermort duelly, Voldermort was run over by something as innocuous as a car?
    Now that would be hilarious Like in Mean Girls? But of course, for something, Voldemort's/Harry's death for instance, that has been holding millions of people's breaths and insanities in suspense for so long, that's very unlikely. If people knew by now that that's gonna be the ending of the series, JK Rowling better be running for her life now :P

Could Neiville be the heir of Gryffindor
    I don't think so.

Petunia knows something. That letter she gets at the beginning of Phoenix is it? 'Remember my love..." betrays something
    Was there a 'my love' part there? I thought that was just a warning from Dumbledore?

Dumbledore blatantly isn't evil
    Hmm... What do you mean? I don't think he is evil... or did you mean Dumbledore isn't blatantly evil? Meaning he's not just showing his evilness?

Snape isn't Death Eater evil
    I agree. I still think something happened to him, in relation with Voldemort or the other Death Eaters, that made him turn the other way.

Wormtail does owe Harry though
    I wonder what wormtail would do to repay Harry

How did Umbridge leave - I can't remember? Any chance of a return? And what happened to the giant?

Rita Skeeter's death.
    I don't think her death would be significant though.

The new DADA teacher will blatantly be a member of the Order - Tonks perhaps?
    I would like to see Snape be the DADA teacher. It should be revealed why Dumbledore wouldn't let Snape teach DADA.

"The Half-Blood Prince", surely we must be able to get something from that..
    Now, who could be a candidate? Maybe someone VERY unlikely, to surprise us all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Didn't JKR say she'd wanted to make Dean a much more prominant character, and delve into his past? It couldn't be him, could it? He's always been on the sidelines, he's not pure blood (as his parents are muggles), and no one would think of him straight away. Or am I imagining things?

P.S. elpaw, I know what you meant now, sorry.
    But how can he be a half-blood if his parents are both muggle? That would make him a "mudblood".

It still confuses me. What are you if for example your grandparents are wizards, but both your parents are not, then you yourself become a wizard? If the wizarding trend skipped a generation, what would that make you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    But how can he be a half-blood if his parents are both muggle? That would make him a "mudblood".

It still confuses me. What are you if for example your grandparents are wizards, but both your parents are not, then you yourself become a wizard? If the wizarding trend skipped a generation, what would that make you?
    That's what I was thinking of, sorry...

ReputationRep:
    has anyone thought that aunt petunia is a squib, or maybe she was expelled from hogwarts? maybe thats why she hates her poular/clever sister and all wizards, and why she loves muggles so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    has anyone thought that aunt petunia is a squib, or maybe she was expelled from hogwarts? maybe thats why she hates her poular/clever sister and all wizards, and why she loves muggles so much.
    Well, I don't think so. I mean, wasn't it mentioned that Lily was the first in the family?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't think so. I mean, wasn't it mentioned that Lily was the first in the family?
    lily was older than petunia, wasnt she?

ReputationRep:

Ditzy Blonde came up with a really good thought out exposition on that and I think she said you would be halfblood but your child would technically be pureblood.

ReputationRep:
    Okay...I just finished Book 5 aka Order of the Phoenix....a year later than everyone else yes i know!
    I was very disappointed that Sirius died! I had no idea before that he was going to die (hid when my friends where discussing last year)...and I felt terrible for Harry as he'd only just found someone who could take the place of a father figure for him. I'm hoping now Lupin fills this role, whilst Dumbledore remains the wise old grandfather type. However, they way Sirius died was a massive let-down...falling behind the veil, and I didn't even understand what that archway was, maybe we weren't meant to hence it was in the Dep of Mysteries? Although perhaps that is where they investigate death(a character indicated earlier in the book that it is investigated there i think), that's why Luna said she could hear her mother behind the veil and Harry heard voices there. Weird!Twas certainly ironic (as im sure it was meant to be)that Sirius's demise was by his own blood (his own cousin Bellatrix), but yes I was disappointed, I really enjoyed how his relationship with Harry was developing.
    On the other hand, how could Sirius have lived?, for if he was fighting in the Dep of Mysteries, at the Ministry of Magic and Fudge was to turn up just as he did (so that he would believe Voldemort's existence by seeing him with his own eyes), poor Sirius would have had a hardtime explaining the whole story of Wormtail to bumbling ol Fudge and convincing him to believe it without gettting whisked back to Azkaban.
    One thing that didn't strike me as totally credible tho...
    Remember how Sirius had given Harry the 2 way mirrors? Why didn't he use them instead of having to go into Umbridge's office each time to talk to him! I mean when he arrived back at school and unpacked the trunk after Xmas, he would have seen the package and unwrapped it, well at least I know i would have out of sheer curiosity. It seems strange that he does not remember/find the 2 way mirror till right at the end. I suppose JK had to force him to use the fire in Umbridge's office so that Kreacher would claim Sirius had gone, hence creating the foundations for the next chapter, but it just didn't ring true!
    And I was soo angry that we had to wait till practically the end of the book until Dumbledore explained everything...so frustrating..especially when the back of my copy quoted Dumbledore as saying "It is time I tell you what i should have told you 5 years ago....I will tell you everything". Grr!
    Hmm anything else I want to comment on....
    Ah yes, one last thing, Fred and George were great, they injected some good humour into what was otherwise quite a dark book. Not my favourite HP book, I've always liked Book 3 best (hence my disappointment at Sirius's death)...but still very good, still had me gripped, although I'm wondering uif perhaps it didn't need to be as long as it was. The Summer hols and Autumn term were quite long, and then it seemed to speed up during Spring/Summer terms.
    Anyway, can anyone explain to me what exactly the archway/veil was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Maybe, but then, she's already given us information on what his past would be, so it would be a bit pointless. We would already know the background story (well some of it). I'd prefer for it to be someone else, who we know nothing about (like a new character) or very little about (like Snape).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Maybe, but then, she's already given us information on what his past would be, so it would be a bit pointless. We would already know the background story (well some of it). I'd prefer for it to be someone else, who we know nothing about (like a new character) or very little about (like Snape).
    I'd love it to be Snape.... *gets lost in thoughts of Snape* <--- that sounds wrong... hmmm.... I just think that Snape is an incredible character, that compared to others, we know little about, the only real glimpse into his past was when Harry viewed Snape's memory so he could see Sirius, James, Lupin etc... I want to see more of Lupin in this next book, as he's my favourite character, but like I said, the idea of Snape being the HBP is very appealing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I'd love it to be Snape.... *gets lost in thoughts of Snape* <--- that sounds wrong... hmmm.... I just think that Snape is an incredible character, that compared to others, we know little about, the only real glimpse into his past was when Harry viewed Snape's memory so he could see Sirius, James, Lupin etc... I want to see more of Lupin in this next book, as he's my favourite character, but like I said, the idea of Snape being the HBP is very appealing...
    By it being Snape, it would give J K a perfect oppurtunity to delve into Snape's past, and give us all the information we need. But knowing J K, it will probably be someone totally different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I have thought that as well, hence her knowledge of the magical world etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    By it being Snape, it would give J K a perfect oppurtunity to delve into Snape's past, and give us all the information we need. But knowing J K, it will probably be someone totally different.
    Yeah... But still, I can but hope! If it isn't Snape, JKR must come up with something relevant in either book 6 or 7 so that we can understand what happened to Snape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    The Summer hols and Autumn term were quite long, and then it seemed to speed up during Spring/Summer terms.
    that happens in most of the books though

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.