Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)
    I have a question. I admit that i did not read the part about when that bode guy died carefully enough. Does anyone remember who that nurse really was and why she killed him?
    Are you talking about Broderick? The guy in the ward who ended up dead? He wasn't killed by a nurse! It was a plant- remember they went to visit Mr Weasely and they saw him and the nurse said someone had sent him a plant or something...and it turned out it was a whatdyamacallit...erm...*tries to find it online*...ah- Devil's Snare that's it- some deatheater sent it to him I think to silence him because they'd tried and failed to get him to break into the department of mysteries through using the imperious curse and they needed to silence him...
    -The site where I found that- you search for a name or whatever and it gives you all the places in the books where that person/thing has been mentioned- He was first introduced in book 4 - (quote of site rather than from book- though it maybe out of their) 'Many Ministry members pass by the tent, greeting Mr. Weasley. Among them Cuthbert Mockrigde, Head of the Goblin Liaison Office, Gilbert Wimple of the Committee on Experimental Charms, Arnold Peasegood, an Obliviator and member of the Accidental Magic Reversal Department, Bode and Croaker, who are Unspeakables from the Department of Mysteries.' Hmmm...she does like to root characters in abit doesn't she...will we be seeing more of any of those other characters do we think? So far we haven't heard any more about any more of the characters in that above section...hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Gosh...over 1000 replies on something HP related? I really should read the books! lol! *very confused*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I really should read the books!
    Yes! Yes you should! *forcefully thrusts set at Adshur*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Yes! Yes you should! *forcefully thrusts set at Adshur*
    deifinately read them...them is if you're not concussed from having them thrown at you!

whoever it was who question JK having written the last chapter of book 7- she has, she's said it in quite a lot of interviews. Apparently it's locked in a vault in a bank (maybe even Gringotts!)

I love the way that she mentions characters so far in advance, I think she really knows exactly what's going to happen- she must do because it's so rare for a character never to have been mentioned before, they're always established (or at least exist) several books before.it gives you the idea that if you know it well enough you can put all the pieces together and guess the ending (when really we're pretty hopeless).

Does anyone else watch newsround at all? *on just before neighbours* are they paid to advertise hp or something? just about every day they show something to do with it, normally the films. surely they have to pay to show the trailers for the films? *they always have exclusives* waste of taxpayers money...

*so many topics, so little time*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Are you talking about Broderick? The guy in the ward who ended up dead? He wasn't killed by a nurse! It was a plant- remember they went to visit Mr Weasely and they saw him and the nurse said someone had sent him a plant or something...and it turned out it was a whatdyamacallit...erm...*tries to find it online*...ah- Devil's Snare that's it- some deatheater sent it to him I think to silence him because they'd tried and failed to get him to break into the department of mysteries through using the imperious curse and they needed to silence him...
    -The site where I found that- you search for a name or whatever and it gives you all the places in the books where that person/thing has been mentioned- He was first introduced in book 4 - (quote of site rather than from book- though it maybe out of their) 'Many Ministry members pass by the tent, greeting Mr. Weasley. Among them Cuthbert Mockrigde, Head of the Goblin Liaison Office, Gilbert Wimple of the Committee on Experimental Charms, Arnold Peasegood, an Obliviator and member of the Accidental Magic Reversal Department, Bode and Croaker, who are Unspeakables from the Department of Mysteries.' Hmmm...she does like to root characters in abit doesn't she...will we be seeing more of any of those other characters do we think? So far we haven't heard any more about any more of the characters in that above section...hmmmm
    Hiya, I'm not unregistered anymore. Yup, Adhsur, you really should read the books; they're brill, and read them so you can see why so many people like them, and have posted on here. Egan1, what is the website called?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I'm going on holiday tomorrow night for a week, so I might not be able to post here for that time. So keep on posting, and please don't let this thread die out. I hope that when I come back and check on this website, I hope that I can still see the thread on the first page of the homepage!

ReputationRep:
    Holiday ey? Well well...it's easy for some!

Yes yes...I daresay we'll keep up the discussion...though you might have a bit of reading to do when you return!

The site is erm...here- http://www.harrypotterfacts.com/ -well that's the main site- I was going through as searchy bit that was directly linked of google so don't know what the rest of the content is really...

Anyway- have a magical ( -in theme) holiday...wherever it is your heading- ...if you're ever bored you can come up with more puzzlers etc to discuss ...

Enjoy!

Egan

(Original post by Egan1)

Yes yes...I daresay we'll keep up the discussion...though you might have a bit of reading to do when you return!

The site is erm...here- http://www.harrypotterfacts.com/ -well that's the main site- I was going through as searchy bit that was directly linked of google so don't know what the rest of the content is really...

Anyway- have a magical ( -in theme) holiday...wherever it is your heading- ...if you're ever bored you can come up with more puzzlers etc to discuss ...

Enjoy!

Egan
    Yeah, I start uni in october. I can see what you mean by having a lot of reading to do. In just 2 days, about 70 posts were added. I'll try and come up with new ideas. In the meanwhile, enjoy, and don't miss me too much. I'll be around tomorrow for a bit maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Yeah, I start uni in october. I can see what you mean by having a lot of reading to do. In just 2 days, about 70 posts were added. I'll try and come up with new ideas. In the meanwhile, enjoy, and don't miss me too much. I'll be around tomorrow for a bit maybe.
    Darn, me again, sorry! My computer's a bit messed up at the mo'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Darn, me again, sorry! My computer's a bit messed up at the mo'.
    Have a great Vaca!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    O yeah!! now i remember.... We must keep this thread going and not let xenon down!

Anyway.... Who thinks one or more of the main three will die, or sacrifice themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)

Enjoy!

Egan

Hey, so I was looking at the site Egan1 recommended, and found something interesting. Look in Chapter one, page 13 of OoP American version. Remember the kid dudley beat up? Well, his name was Mark EVANS! He was 10 years old at the time. So, he would be turning 11 next book. Now, if he's related to Lily, then it could be that it's significant. Also, I'm not saying he's necessarily magical, but if it turns out to be so, harry could have a cousin (or second cousing or something) at the school with him. Just an idea. We all know she doesn't mention stuff like that without reason.

Another thought I've been having about the connection between book 2 and 6. In book 2, house elves are said to have a powerful magic. And dobby says that after Voldie was "defeated" the first time, things got better for most house elves. I'd hate to have to see more dobby, but could it be possible that he (or the rest of the house elf community) are recruited to the cause? Maybe they'll be freed from servitude. Or we'll see an uprising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter The Great)
    Hey, so I was looking at the site Egan1 recommended, and found something interesting. Look in Chapter one, page 13 of OoP American version. Remember the kid dudley beat up? Well, his name was Mark EVANS! He was 10 years old at the time. So, he would be turning 11 next book. Now, if he's related to Lily, then it could be that it's significant. Also, I'm not saying he's necessarily magical, but if it turns out to be so, harry could have a cousin (or second cousing or something) at the school with him. Just an idea. We all know she doesn't mention stuff like that without reason.

Another thought I've been having about the connection between book 2 and 6. In book 2, house elves are said to have a powerful magic. And dobby says that after Voldie was "defeated" the first time, things got better for most house elves. I'd hate to have to see more dobby, but could it be possible that he (or the rest of the house elf community) are recruited to the cause? Maybe they'll be freed from servitude. Or we'll see an uprising?
    That is a good point about Mark Evans, I did just get done reading book 5 again and it states that Petunia is the last living blood relative to Lily and that is why Harry has to stay with her because of the blood protection.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, on the point of nothing being included in the books with out a reason, I don't remember if this has been mentioned/discussed before, but Mundungus was dressed as a witch in the Hogs Head because he;d been banned 20 years before, then at the end ofr the book Dumbledore says that the person eavesdropping on the prophecy was thrown out of the pub because they were ion there when they were banned. Do we think it was Dung who told Voldie about the prophecy, or is it just a coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    Btw, it says in Book 5 that James was definately in Gryffindor, I seem to vaguely rememeber this being discussed as long time ago and thought I'd point it out while I remembered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Btw, it says in Book 5 that James was definately in Gryffindor, I seem to vaguely rememeber this being discussed as long time ago and thought I'd point it out while I remembered.
    Hi guys. this is my last post before I'm off. Yup, we weren't sure whether it was mentioned that all of the mauraders were in Gryffindor. Well, James is in Gryffindor then (else also, Harry would have mentioned otherwise when looking at the Quidditch cup). Well, gta go. Bye, see you in a week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hi guys. this is my last post before I'm off. Yup, we weren't sure whether it was mentioned that all of the mauraders were in Gryffindor. Well, James is in Gryffindor then (else also, Harry would have mentioned otherwise when looking at the Quidditch cup). Well, gta go. Bye, see you in a week!
    Yeah, it said Harry was reminded of another GRYFFINDOR quidditch player when Ron was ruffling his hair after he won the Quidditch cup. Was on that site Egan1 mentioned earlier and someone on there had been through a whole lot of rubbish saying how all the Maurauders were in Slytherin. It also made an interesting point though, if Sirius was Harry's Godfather, whose his Godmother? Surely if Lily and James were going to give Harry a godfather they'd appoint a godmother as well, and possibly even another godfather? (baby boys are sometimes given two godfathers and girls two godmothers)

ReputationRep:
    It also made an interesting point though, if Sirius was Harry's Godfather, whose his Godmother? Surely if Lily and James were going to give Harry a godfather they'd appoint a godmother as well, and possibly even another godfather? (baby boys are sometimes given two godfathers and girls two godmothers)
    Yes that's quite an interesting thought...I doubt he'd have another godfather but he could have a godmother...but who? We don't know anything about Lily's past friends or anything...could be that he did have a godmother who was killed...hmmm...
    Of course there might well not be one but if there was then I daresay we'll be finding out about her soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Yes that's quite an interesting thought...I doubt he'd have another godfather but he could have a godmother...but who? We don't know anything about Lily's past friends or anything...could be that he did have a godmother who was killed...hmmm...
    Of course there might well not be one but if there was then I daresay we'll be finding out about her soon enough!
    AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG HHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *tearing hair out in frustration!* I can't wait for book 6. All this guessing is driving me crazy! I'm so desperate to know how right all our predictions have been!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, on the point of nothing being included in the books with out a reason, I don't remember if this has been mentioned/discussed before, but Mundungus was dressed as a witch in the Hogs Head because he;d been banned 20 years before, then at the end ofr the book Dumbledore says that the person eavesdropping on the prophecy was thrown out of the pub because they were ion there when they were banned. Do we think it was Dung who told Voldie about the prophecy, or is it just a coincidence?
    If in fact mundungus did not go into the hogs heade until he was following harry then I would have to say no, that wasnt him because he was thrown out 20 years ago and the prophecy was made 16 years ago.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.