Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    I hadn't thought of that, but her family is muggle. Do people in the uk name their houses?
    Yes, its quite common, people think they're upperclass if their house has a name!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Cominuticate? LOL. Do you think that silvery vapour would find its way to get to the members of the Order? Hmm...
    You know what I mean and what my spelling is like on here.

ReputationRep:
    Phew, finally made it through another 1000 posts and have added my most recent summary to the thread. I've made a start on the next lot and should hopefully get through it quite quickly as I now have broadband and have just lost my job so have plenty of time on my hands!! Feel free to have a look but please don't reply to that thread (Xenon, if you could close it again that would be great). Remember I've included all the points made no matter how random or ridiculous, its getting to the stage where a lot of theories are being repeated so its getting much shorter, and I've given everyone the credit they deserve for their ideas.

Enjoy and feel free to coment here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Yes, its quite common, people think they're upperclass if their house has a name!!
    Weird!
    People in the US haven't been in the habit of naming houses since the 1800s.
    How did you lose your job?

ReputationRep:
    Weird!
    People in the US haven't been in the habit of naming houses since the 1800s.
    How did you lose your job?
    I was temping and they interviewed me and hired someone else with more experience (how much experience do you need to do the filing and photocopying!!) They offered to keep me on over Christmas but I turned it down, I didn't feel inclined to actually do any work for them if they didn't want me!! Ah well, I get a well deserved holiday and plenty of time to catch up on the Ultimate Discussion!! I've still got 395 pages to get through!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    You know what I mean and what my spelling is like on here.
    LOL, I know just playin with you, hihi

ReputationRep:
    I was temping and they interviewed me and hired someone else with more experience (how much experience do you need to do the filing and photocopying!!) They offered to keep me on over Christmas but I turned it down, I didn't feel inclined to actually do any work for them if they didn't want me!! Ah well, I get a well deserved holiday and plenty of time to catch up on the Ultimate Discussion!! I've still got 395 pages to get through!!
    Aaaw, that's too bad. Maybe the person who replaced you has been filing and photocopying for 10 years now (said so in his/her resume? LOL)?

ReputationRep:
    JKR has updated her site! She's changed 1 word. In the welcome paragraph where she talks about anouncing that she's finished with book 6, she changed it to book 7. So she must be done!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thats so cool, I can't believe people look that closely to spot it!! I think thats pretty definate comformation that its finished.

:elefant: (I wanted to go for the party smiley, but it doesn't work, grrr, the dancing elephant will have to do instead!!)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thats so cool, I can't believe people look that closely to spot it!! I think thats pretty definate comformation that its finished.

:elefant: (I wanted to go for the party smiley, but it doesn't work, grrr, the dancing elephant will have to do instead!!)
    :party:, you mean this smiley

ReputationRep:
    The 6th book is done? Wicked. Only the publishing etc left then, fingers crossed. :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    It should be out by july.

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed. I really hope it comes out soon, I'm getting so sick of waiting. I am ploughing through the previous posts now though, its amazing what being unemployed does for your free time!!

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed. I really hope it comes out soon, I'm getting so sick of waiting. I am ploughing through the previous posts now though, its amazing what being unemployed does for your free time!!
    LOL, I see you guys are enjoying using the new smilies If it's finished, I hope it gets released earlier than July! JUne would be good enough for me, so I can ask my folks to buy it as a birthday present

ReputationRep:
    It will be either june or july. But here is the news from mugglenet

Amazon: No HBP in 'foreseeable future'
    Those of you who signed up on Amazon.com to receive an alert when a book 6 release date was available received this e-mail today:

You previously signed up to be notified when 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' (Book 6) became available. Unfortunately, we've learned from our supplier that this item will not be available from our suppliers in the foreseeable future. Someone may be selling this item through Amazon.com Auctions or zShops. We encourage you to search for it there if you're still interested in purchasing this item.

We're sorry not to have better news for you.

Just a reminder: 'foreseeable future' could mean six months or it could mean six years, depending on ones interpretation. We're used to waiting; six months doesn't seem like an extremely long time to us. But to someone who is only out to make money off HP, six months could seem like forever.

ReputationRep:
    And here is the word change thing

HBP release date (definitely looks to be) coming soon
    Thanks to TLC (and everyone who e-mailed) for this very interesting piece: those of you keen enough to notice found today a small change on JKR.com's welcome letter that has suggests that a Half-Blood Prince release date might soon be on the way.

It went from this:

...where I can give you hints and clues about what's going to happen to Harry next, and where I can announce I've finished book six... and no, that's not going to happen very soon.
    To this:

...where I can give you hints and clues about what's going to happen to Harry next, and where I can announce I've finished book seven... and no, that's not going to happen very soon.

One could assume JK Rowling has made this change in order to keep the site updated when the HBP release date is announced; hopefully on Christmas Day.

We can't, of course, say with any authority that this change means an announcement. But we can all agree it would be the best holiday gift this season if it were the case. Are you listening, Jo?

Update: A side-by-side comparison of the former and current message on Jo's text-only website can be seen here.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've been doing some more reading back over old posts and I've had a few thoughts I wanted to share.

There was a discussion about why Harry didn't see the fake Moody on the Marauders Map. I think I have the answer. On the map the fake Moody was shown as Barty Crouch (when Harry lost his golden egg) The real Moody was have been shown as Alistair Moody. Since the real Moody was locked in a trunk in the office the map would just show Alistair Moody as being in his office, which would be expected.

Another thought I had was that everyone has always assumed that Lily and James did the same thing for a living, what if thats not the case (although it would go against my favourite theory that they were both teachers!!)

I'm sure there was something else but I can't remember it at the minute, I'll go back to reading and see if I remember!!

ReputationRep:
    The moody explanation makes sense.

Has anyone else noticed that there are only a handfull of married wizards that we know?
    Weasleys, Malfoys, Potters, Longbottoms, Lestranges, Blacks

ReputationRep:
    Another question, do muggles live in Godric's Hollow? JK has just confirmed that its a village rather than a house but its mentioned earlier that Hogsmede is the only all wizard village. It just seems like quite a magical name for a muggle village

ReputationRep:
    Just another update, I'm steaming through the previous posts now, I've just finished reading up the 4000th post. There hasn't been much to make note of though since most of the discussion was centred around the films and favourite characters etc, so I intend to keep ploughing on and post a summary covering posts 3001 to 5000 in a few days time (if I manage to keep up this pace!!)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.