Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i finally have prisoner of azkaban on dvd

ReputationRep:
    i dunno im not so convinced she is finished with book 6, but i guess that change means something.... probably.

Wow i was looking back at ditzy's summery, i cant believe i got sucked into the remus/romalus thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Another question, do muggles live in Godric's Hollow? JK has just confirmed that its a village rather than a house but its mentioned earlier that Hogsmede is the only all wizard village. It just seems like quite a magical name for a muggle village
    It is an interesting question. Maybe Godric's Hollow doesn't exist any more. Maybe it died after voldie showed up, or the potters were the only ones living there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    It is an interesting question. Maybe Godric's Hollow doesn't exist any more. Maybe it died after voldie showed up, or the potters were the only ones living there.
    thats not much of a village

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    thats not much of a village
    Villages die. What better place is there to hide than a deserted village?

ReputationRep:
    Villages die. What better place is there to hide than a deserted village?
    a full lively village where people look out for you and can alert you if they see anything suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    a full lively village where people look out for you and can alert you if they see anything suspicious.
    That would be kind of hard considering they were under the fidelius charm...

ReputationRep:
    In the first book, Hagrid says that the house was completey destroyed. But maybe Godrics Hollow is where Wormtail escaped too. Was it metioned in the books the name of the place where Sirius "attacked" all those muggles and "killed" wormtail?

(NOTE: the " ", think Dr Evil ).

ReputationRep:
    Also I've re-read the endding of "The Madness of Mr Crouch" in GoF and it says something like "Dumbledore raised his wand into the air and pointed it at Hagrids Hut. He fired what looked like a Silver Dart, it streaked across the sky and seconds later, Hagrid appeared".

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming when you say the Potters were the only ones living there you mean they were the only wizards living there.

Just a point to mention, Bowman Wright (inventer of the Golden Snitch) also came from Godrics Hollow (mentioned briefly in Quidditch Through The Ages). It is quite possible that its a muggle village that a couple of wizards live in (remember the Lovegoods, the Diggorys, and the Fawcetts (I might have imagined this last one) live quite close to the Weasleys) Its also possible that it was once a wizarding village, but more and more muggles moved in and wizards moved out.

Anyway, I'm just throwing ideas about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    In the first book, Hagrid says that the house was completey destroyed. But maybe Godrics Hollow is where Wormtail escaped too. Was it metioned in the books the name of the place where Sirius "attacked" all those muggles and "killed" wormtail?

(NOTE: the " ", think Dr Evil ).
    The name of the place Sirius caught up with Wormtail is never mentioned. I kind of assumed it wasn't Godrics Hollow though because it sounds like a sleepy little village, with a local pub and a local shop for local people, whereas it says that Sirius caught Wormtail in a busy street, full of muggles (not sure if it says so, but I imagine it being a saturday and them doing their shopping)

ReputationRep:
    it says that Sirius caught Wormtail in a busy street, full of muggles (not sure if it says so, but I imagine it being a saturday and them doing their shopping)
    I'd always imagined it to be in London- but basically a large town or city I think. - Unless there was some sort of parade you wouldn't have enough people packed together in a small village lane (-eg-not street)- though I suppose it depends how big the spell was that caused the problem.

That also leads on to the question of what spell Wormtail did use...
    He's meant to be pretty feable, yet 13 people died from a single curse. Avada Kedavra is meant to be the ultimate 'death' curse but that seams to be something that kills one at a time. I suppose the different between the two spells could be that while Avada Kedavra is 'unstoppable', if you knew how, you could protect yourself from Wormtail's. (?)

---

Anyway- I wanted to speak to Sire- but have just checked his profile and he's been off for a month. Did he decide to 'leave'?

Basically, went into town today and in WHSmith spotted the HP school books (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through The Ages) which were in little packs (with a Hogwarts Library bookplate!) reduced to 99p. I remembered he'd asked about them ages ago (not having them in Australia) so have bought him a set should he want to read them.

If anyone has his email could you PM it to me -would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Anyway- I wanted to speak to Sire- but have just checked his profile and he's been off for a month. Did he decide to 'leave'?

Basically, went into town today and in WHSmith spotted the HP school books (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through The Ages) which were in little packs (with a Hogwarts Library bookplate!) reduced to 99p. I remembered he'd asked about them ages ago (not having them in Australia) so have bought him a set should he want to read them.

If anyone has his email could you PM it to me -would be much appreciated
    Darn, I never did manage to get his email address. . 99p-that's a bargain!
    I wonder if Wormtail was even powerful enough to produce the avada kedabra spell. After all, when Harry tried, his spell didn't quite work.

ReputationRep:
    hi i dont know if you guys remeber me but i use to post on the a long time ago when there where like 3,000 replies only and i havent been on uklearning in forever but i just wanted to say im back AND IM STILL AS BIG OF A HARRY POTTER FAN as i was and yeah i hope u remeber me :bootyshak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Darn, I never did manage to get his email address. . 99p-that's a bargain!
    I wonder if Wormtail was even powerful enough to produce the avada kedabra spell. After all, when Harry tried, his spell didn't quite work.
    I never thought of that til Egan brought it up. Yeah, what spell did wormtail use? Maybe he's not a poor wizard as we could've thought he was, that he was able to kill a bunch of people in one spell. Or maybe the spell went bad and that happened.

ReputationRep:
    Um, small point, I might have got the wrong end of the stick, but I though Sirius blew up the street and Wormtail just blew his finger off and turned into a rat. I could be wrong though, I've not read anything in a very long time (note to self, reread the books!!)

ReputationRep:
    Um, small point, I might have got the wrong end of the stick, but I though Sirius blew up the street and Wormtail just blew his finger off and turned into a rat. I could be wrong though, I've not read anything in a very long time (note to self, reread the books!!)
    Sirius confronted Wormtail in the street, then Wormtail cast a spell, cut his finger off, and turned into Scabbers, then disappeared, leaving Sirius to take the blaim... Well, that's what I think happened, I may be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Sirius confronted Wormtail in the street, then Wormtail cast a spell, cut his finger off, and turned into Scabbers, then disappeared, leaving Sirius to take the blaim... Well, that's what I think happened, I may be wrong though.
    That sounds familiar too. So confused now. :confused: Must go read, ah well, I'm unemployed so I have plenty of time for reading!!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds familiar too. So confused now. :confused: Must go read, ah well, I'm unemployed so I have plenty of time for reading!!
    Fleff got it right, wormtail murdered all the people. Siruis didn't even get to kill wormtail.

ReputationRep:
    Fleff got it right, wormtail murdered all the people. Siruis didn't even get to kill wormtail.
    Oh yeah, he did didn't he. He had his wand behind his back or something and blew up the street, cut off his finger and turned into a rat. Maybe he got lessons off Volide. I wonder what spell he used. Thanks Megan for bringing up a well needed discussion.
    LOTR obsessed, how could we forget you? As obsessed about HP and you are LOTR. :hello:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.