Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    "Jangles: Are you going to write books about harry after school?
    JK Rowling replies -> Probably not, but I'll never say never because every time I do I immediately break the vow!"

Ok, I'm reading through some intervews. This question was from the World Book Day interview earlier this year. This answer really does imply that Harry might survive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    "She is not a squib, although that is a very good guess. Oh, I am giving a lot away here. I am being shockingly indiscreet"

So if she's not a squib is she a witch then?
    She can't be a squib because her family isn't magical. But she can't be a witch because she wasn't accepted to hogwarts that we know of. This opens the possibility that she just happens to stumble upon magic latter in life.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a random thought. Jk has said that once someone is dead they're dead, thats it, but in PS Snape said something about putting a stopper in death.

I think Snape meant you could postpone death rather than bring someone back to life, so if someone was really ill you could use a potion to keep them alive.

Anyway, I'm rambling, just a thought....
    That is my understanding. You can't bring someone back to life, but you can stop them from dying. I wonder if he was talking about the elixer of life.

ReputationRep:
    It was the bit where she said he'd be able to use magic at the end of the year that got me though
    Ok, the fact that she said at the end of the year means that he would be using it before his 17th birthday. The one reason for this could be due to the ruling of underage magic being changed at least for him, after say an attack on Harry outside school or something, meaning that he could defend himself or something without breaking the rules. This could be the outcome of a big event leading to this change. It could also mean tat the book might end on a cliff-hanger, with something big happening like a Voldie attack on Pivet Drive or something.
    I dunno, I'm just throwing out a few ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Ok, the fact that she said at the end of the year means that he would be using it before his 17th birthday. The one reason for this could be due to the ruling of underage magic being changed at least for him, after say an attack on Harry outside school or something, meaning that he could defend himself or something without breaking the rules. This could be the outcome of a big event leading to this change. It could also mean tat the book might end on a cliff-hanger, with something big happening like a Voldie attack on Pivet Drive or something.
    I dunno, I'm just throwing out a few ideas.
    But under age wizards can use magic in terms of when it is to save their own life. Tis the reason why Harry wasn't kicked out of school in the last one.

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i have just re read all the books and i got some questions. maybe you have already discussed this but here they are:

why can harry see the horses (that they use from the train to the school) in the fifth book but not in the other ones?
    at frist i thought it was cause it was those animals that you can only see when you have seen death (those animals hagrid shows to them in the forbidden forest)but if that where true then wouldn't harry have seen them earlier,(not just after cedrics death) didn't he see his parents die? and the description of the two doesn't match.

in one of the earlier books there is a clock (2nd i think) in the kitchen at rons place that shows different kinds of things that you do, i don't remember exactly anyway it is a different clock compared to the description in the later books where you can see what and where the different members of the family are. is this a misstake from rowlings side or are there several clocks?

the prophecy says on one part something like one of them can't live without the other and it is interprtated as one have to kill the other but doesn't this mean in some way that they can't survive if the other ones dies, cause they are so connected? so tehy both have to die?

ReputationRep:
    The animals that pull the carriages to school are thestrals. Only people who have seen someone die can see them. JKR said on her website that she didn't allow harry to see them at the end of Gof because she didn't want to bring it into the story then. And Cedric's death needed to sink in.

The clock is the same clock both times.

No one really knows what the prophesy means and the limits of it's literal translation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    The animals that pull the carriages to school are thestrals. Only people who have seen someone die can see them. JKR said on her website that she didn't allow harry to see them at the end of Gof because she didn't want to bring it into the story then. And Cedric's death needed to sink in.

The clock is the same clock both times.

No one really knows what the prophesy means and the limits of it's literal translation.
    No she means the clock that says things like "Time to feed the chickens" and "Time for Tea". And the other one is the one that shows the conditions of the seperate Weasley members. Its two seperate clocks

And as for Harry not seeing the thestral because of his parents, his parents died when he was at the age of one. Can you remember that far back?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't JKR tell us on her site that harry didn't see his parents die.

And I don't remember this 2nd clock. Maybe it is only in the british version?

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas etc to everyone.

(...or should I say, Have a Very Harry Christmas!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    No she means the clock that says things like "Time to feed the chickens" and "Time for Tea". And the other one is the one that shows the conditions of the seperate Weasley members. Its two seperate clocks

And as for Harry not seeing the thestral because of his parents, his parents died when he was at the age of one. Can you remember that far back?
    yes, that was the clock i meant.

(Original post by Moncal)
    Didn't JKR tell us on her site that harry didn't see his parents die.

And I don't remember this 2nd clock. Maybe it is only in the british version?
    i haven't read her site.

the one with time to feed the chickens aren't mentioned more than one time, at least what i have noticed. so maybe that is why you don't remember it.

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating it. Even though I don't, I thought I'd bring out some butter beer. And there's more of that on New year's day!

Btw, what would be your favorite Harry Potter related (be it real or fiction) present you would want? Mine would be a firebolt and invisibility coat. And for Sirius to come back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating it. Even though I don't, I thought I'd bring out some butter beer. And there's more of that on New year's day!

Btw, what would be your favorite Harry Potter related (be it real or fiction) present you would want? Mine would be a firebolt and invisibility coat. And for Sirius to come back.
    hmm, don't know. maybe invisibility coat and one of those knitted scarfs that they have in the movies.

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas! Thanks for the butterbeer Xenon. I want a wand and an invisibility cloak.

ReputationRep:
    I'd ask for a wand and the invisibility coat.

ReputationRep:
    Heh- look what I've just found-

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...K&title=572404

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Heh- look what I've just found-

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...K&title=572404

oh, the new book. that title wasn't easy to guess. who do think is the half blood prince?
    maybe neville..i don't know.

btw did you know that somonne has written a parody of the harry potter books? it's called Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody "Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel" and Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse appearntly the same writer (Michael Gerber ) has written bored of the rings as well.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or have we just lost a whole bunch of posts for no apparent reason? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Is it just me, or have we just lost a whole bunch of posts for no apparent reason? :confused:
    haha..half of my posts were deleted a few days ago...probably a thread you posted in many times got deleted,or many threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I don't think so. It looks normal to me.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.