Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, re-reading book five and I've just had a though. We know that theres more to Petunia then meets the eye, but what if she was somehow partially responsible for Lily's death, like she accidentally let something important slip to a DeathEater.

Just a random though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Hmmm, re-reading book five and I've just had a though. We know that theres more to Petunia then meets the eye, but what if she was somehow partially responsible for Lily's death, like she accidentally let something important slip to a DeathEater.

Just a random though
    That's an interesting thought. But what could she have let slip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Good job and that IS actually getting somewhere.

I was also about to say that Snape should have graduated before becoming a teacher, but then again, there is Hagrid... but I dunno, their level of teaching is somewhat different, I think.
    But he wasn't a teacher at first. He was trained as the Gamekeeper. He only got offered the job once his name had been cleared. And besides, Hagrids job doesn't require magic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    That's an interesting thought. But what could she have let slip.
    I have no idea. I came up with the first thought, time for someone else to do some work!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    But he wasn't a teacher at first. He was trained as the Gamekeeper. He only got offered the job once his name had been cleared. And besides, Hagrids job doesn't require magic.
    Uh-huh, so yeah, their level of teaching is different.

Maybe that's why she has to keep Harry with her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Maybe that's why she has to keep Harry with her
    Nar, she has to keep Harry with her because she is her last living relative, the whole blodd thing etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Nar, she has to keep Harry with her because she is her last living relative, the whole blodd thing etc etc.
    Why is the link between him and Petunia so important? What is it that means he's safe when his home is still with Petunia..? That's what I've always wondered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Why is the link between him and Petunia so important? What is it that means he's safe when his home is still with Petunia..? That's what I've always wondered...
    They share the same blood, Lily's blood. The fact that Lily died to save Harry left him with the protection of her sacrifice in his blood. He's safe when he's in Petunia's care because she also has Lil'y blood.

ReputationRep:
    They share the same blood, Lily's blood. The fact that Lily died to save Harry left him with the protection of her sacrifice in his blood. He's safe when he's in Petunia's care because she also has Lil'y blood.
    Ahhhh! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Having a few thoughts while reading back through the old posts.

Something thats been brought up before. When Hagrid first meets Harry he mentions thatthe wasn't a wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin. Can we assume that Barty Crouch Jr was in Slytherin then?

Also is this a mistake because at the time Hagrid though that Sirius was a Death Eater? It would kind of make sense if Sirius was in Slytherin after seeing what his family were like.

I know that JKR has said that the Maurauders were in Gryffindor so was Hagrid just generalising? (Sorry just thinking out loud!!)

The other thing I was going back over the thoughts about other heirs. We know Voldemort was the heir of Slytherin, and alot of people believe that Harry is the heir of Gryffindor, so many people wer discussing whether the other founders had heirs and who they could be. I was thinking how unlikely it was for all the founders to have their lines dying out at the same time. hmmm, I'm rambling and I know what I'm on about but I don't think anyone else will!!

ReputationRep:
    Having a few thoughts while reading back through the old posts.

Something thats been brought up before. When Hagrid first meets Harry he mentions thatthe wasn't a wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin. Can we assume that Barty Crouch Jr was in Slytherin then?

Also is this a mistake because at the time Hagrid though that Sirius was a Death Eater? It would kind of make sense if Sirius was in Slytherin after seeing what his family were like.

I know that JKR has said that the Maurauders were in Gryffindor so was Hagrid just generalising? (Sorry just thinking out loud!!)

The other thing I was going back over the thoughts about other heirs. We know Voldemort was the heir of Slytherin, and alot of people believe that Harry is the heir of Gryffindor, so many people wer discussing whether the other founders had heirs and who they could be. I was thinking how unlikely it was for all the founders to have their lines dying out at the same time. hmmm, I'm rambling and I know what I'm on about but I don't think anyone else will!!
    I think that at the time Hagrid was making a generalization. But it also could have been the fact that JKR knew something that she hadn't told us yet.

ReputationRep:
    Probably. I can't see that that would clash to strongly with any images we've had of him.

I think Hagrid probably was generalising, as Moncal said.
    At the time he thought Sirius was bad, which would have clashed with his statement, but now we know Padfoot to have been a goody, it is Wormtail who doesn't fit the bill.

I know I've said this before, but it seems silly thinking about it, for there to be just one specific heir for each founder. To be realistic, even if all the founders had only one child (assuming they had one at all) each, somewhere down the line through the hundreds of years it's been since, there's bound to have been descendents who had more than 1 child. Those 2/3/4 etc siblings would go on to have children of their own and so the branch would continue. I'm sure they're not all direct lines pointing straight to an heir for each house. Both unrealistic and a little cheesy me thinks.

---

Arg! I'm behind on the thread again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I think Hagrid probably was generalising, as Moncal said.
    Of course, Hagrid could still be in denial that Sirius would do such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    wow this thread is huge i cant believe how long ago it was i posted ill will now think ill come and post alot more on this thread as hp is the best btw whens the next film ment to be t cinemas

ReputationRep:
    Of course, Hagrid could still be in denial that Sirius would do such a thing.
    But remember he was one of the staff at the table in The Three Broomsticks in PoA when they were discussing Sirius. What he says then indicates his belief (having heard about it) that Sirius was a baddy.

ReputationRep:
    Wormtail was in Gryffindor though wasn't he. But then he didn't techinally go bad, did he?

As for the heir thing, I thought we agree that Dumbledore was the heir of Gryffindor. We know that he was in Gryffindor from the first book, when harry shows loyality to Dumbledore, Godrics pet (I believe Fawkes belonged to Godric Gryffindor) brought Godrics hat to deliver Godrics sword.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Wormtail was in Gryffindor though wasn't he. But then he didn't techinally go bad, did he?

As for the heir thing, I thought we agree that Dumbledore was the heir of Gryffindor. We know that he was in Gryffindor from the first book, when harry shows loyality to Dumbledore, Godrics pet (I believe Fawkes belonged to Godric Gryffindor) brought Godrics hat to deliver Godrics sword.
    I forgot about wormtail. Wormtail is definitely a baddy at this point, but at the time Hagrid thought he was a big hero.

I've always assumed that fawkes was the headmaster's pet. So whoever became Headmaster got fawkes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph2004)
    wow this thread is huge i cant believe how long ago it was i posted ill will now think ill come and post alot more on this thread as hp is the best btw whens the next film ment to be t cinemas
    Rumour is it'll be released around November 18th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Rumour is it'll be released around November 18th.
    oh plenty of time to read the book again

soph

ReputationRep:
    I forgot about wormtail. Wormtail is definitely a baddy at this point, but at the time Hagrid thought he was a big hero.

I've always assumed that fawkes was the headmaster's pet. So whoever became Headmaster got fawkes.
    I don't think so. When Harry went back in time in the second book, he landed in Dumbledores office. And he relised that there wasn't a perch for Fawkes there. So Fawkes wasn't around during the time of the pervious headmaster.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.