The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm really not convinced by the whole heir thing, and I don't think its set in stone that Gryffindor's heir would be Dumbledore, its just someones pet theory. As Egan said, it just seems a little unbelieveable that you'd have two of the founders last descendants about at the same time, they've had hundreds of years to die out, why now?!

My thought about Crouch Jr was more to do with Crouch Sr, I figured he wouldn't be too impressed to have a son in Slytherin, (I have nothing to base this on, just my personal feelings and interpretation!!)
habosh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
been long time since I last came here...to many posts to read can anybody back me up with most intresting thought so that I can go on with the flow
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
I'm really not convinced by the whole heir thing, and I don't think its set in stone that Gryffindor's heir would be Dumbledore, its just someones pet theory. As Egan said, it just seems a little unbelieveable that you'd have two of the founders last descendants about at the same time, they've had hundreds of years to die out, why now?!

My thought about Crouch Jr was more to do with Crouch Sr, I figured he wouldn't be too impressed to have a son in Slytherin, (I have nothing to base this on, just my personal feelings and interpretation!!)
But at the time Slytherin didn't really have anything bad to it's name that we know of. I imagine that it was actually considered prestigous. I bet crouch sr. was a slytherin.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Moncal)
But at the time Slytherin didn't really have anything bad to it's name that we know of. I imagine that it was actually considered prestigous. I bet crouch sr. was a slytherin.
Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that, how cunning!! I suppose once people realised that all the Death Eaters had been in Slytherin their reputation seriously suffered!!
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that, how cunning!! I suppose once people realised that all the Death Eaters had been in Slytherin their reputation seriously suffered!!
So it might have an alright rep until Voldemort came about. It still turned out bad wizards but it wouldn't have been as bad as it was.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
So it might have an alright rep until Voldemort came about. It still turned out bad wizards but it wouldn't have been as bad as it was.
Well Tom Riddle was the modle student, head boy and everything. So their rep had to be okay at least until that point.
ladyblitzer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well Tom Riddle was the modle student, head boy and everything. So their rep had to be okay at least until that point.
But wasn't Slytherin known to be the bad founder of Hogwarts? Slytherin could've had a bad rep ever since. Maybe it's just that Tom Riddle was really good, although we all know that he's not.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ladyblitzer)
But wasn't Slytherin known to be the bad founder of Hogwarts? Slytherin could've had a bad rep ever since. Maybe it's just that Tom Riddle was really good, although we all know that he's not.
Not really. All we know is that Slytherin and Gryffindor had an arguement over which kind of students should be taken into Hogwarts. Slytherin wanted only Pure Bloods while Gryffindor thought they should take on anyone who showed promise.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
Not really. All we know is that Slytherin and Gryffindor had an arguement over which kind of students should be taken into Hogwarts. Slytherin wanted only Pure Bloods while Gryffindor thought they should take on anyone who showed promise.
I agree, surely before Voldemort Slytherin wouldhave been know for taking students with great ambition and prefering pure bloods.

Are all Slytherins pureblood? I guess not since Voldemort was one and Harry nearly was. Hmmm, I guess the rest of them wouldn't be very nice to the half bloods. Anyway, thinking out loud!!
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Here's a theory that we've been developing on my forum about why voldemort didn't die.

1. Voldemort didn't try the AK curse on Harr. We have no first hand account that he did.
2. He didn't want to kill lily because he was smarter than we think and knew that Lily was going to try some spell that would end in her death.
3. Voldemort is some how related to Lily. So he got a little bit of protection from lily's spell. This also makes Harry an Heir of Slytherin, explains why Voldie chose Harry, and fits in rather nicely with CoS.
ladyblitzer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Here's a theory that we've been developing on my forum about why voldemort didn't die.

1. Voldemort didn't try the AK curse on Harr. We have no first hand account that he did.
2. He didn't want to kill lily because he was smarter than we think and knew that Lily was going to try some spell that would end in her death.
3. Voldemort is some how related to Lily. So he got a little bit of protection from lily's spell. This also makes Harry an Heir of Slytherin, explains why Voldie chose Harry, and fits in rather nicely with CoS.
But we already know that Harry is not an heir of slytherin...

I go with #1. I think may Voldie just casted a spell lethal enough to kill Harry, but may not be AK. After all, Harry was just a baby then.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But we already know that Harry is not an heir of slytherin...

I go with #1. I think may Voldie just casted a spell lethal enough to kill Harry, but may not be AK. After all, Harry was just a baby then.
I have to agree. We know that Harrys only living relatives are the Dursleys so he can't be the Heir of Slytherien (thought in a small way he is since Voldemort put a small piece of himself into Harry).
ladyblitzer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
I have to agree. We know that Harrys only living relatives are the Dursleys so he can't be the Heir of Slytherien (thought in a small way he is since Voldemort put a small piece of himself into Harry).
Well, yeah, sort of, but not quite
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, yeah, sort of, but not quite
You know what I mean.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have had a thought about the title of the 6th book. I think that there is a pattern in the way that the books are named.
1. Sorceror's Stone- object
2. Chamber of Secrets- object
3. Prisoner of Azkaban- person
4. Goblet of fire- object
5. Order of the Phoenix- object
6. According to this pattern the title must be about a person.
7. Something dealing with an object.
Hmmm, just found this post from back in April last year (months before we knew the title of book 6) Well done Moncal!!
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmmm, just found this post from back in April last year (months before we knew the title of book 6) Well done Moncal!!
Damn, I'm good.

I completely forgot about that.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Damn, I'm good.

I completely forgot about that.
Well Done mate, but of course it could be just a coincidence .
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
Maybe jkr saw my post and decided that she liked the idea.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
Lol, that's pretty funny.
My thinking was that Voldie was so ruthless that he would kill Harry using the avada kedavra curse. That would have been the easiest and quickest way to kill someone.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Lol, that's pretty funny.
My thinking was that Voldie was so ruthless that he would kill Harry using the avada kedavra curse. That would have been the easiest and quickest way to kill someone.
Then why does Harry have a scar? The AK curse doesn't leave any physical mark...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads