Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Prefects Who Gained Power (book 2)
    Percy gives this to Ron as a birthday present and Ron reads something about Tom Riddle which is useful except Percy didn't know because he doesn't know the link. Ginny and her parent's kept that bit secret to hide shame!
    Love this idea, its the sort of thing Percy would give to Ron (remember the letter in book 5)

ReputationRep:
    Ron’s gay
    RIGHT! There is gotta to be something between him and Herm because its been hinted in the books and now the films (shake hands not hug in 2, hold hands in 3rd - also in 3rd note that Herm wraps her arms around Harry when buckbeak is "killed" then Ron put his arm around her!!!!!)
    Actually, Herm hugged Ron when Buckbeak was killed and Ron just stood their not realising that he had this fit young women hugging him for comfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amg)
    Prefects Who Gained Power (book 2)
    Percy gives this to Ron as a birthday present and Ron reads something about Tom Riddle which is useful except Percy didn't know because he doesn't know the link. Ginny and her parent's kept that bit secret to hide shame!
    Are you sure that Tom Riddle is mentioned? I don't remember that part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    Are you sure that Tom Riddle is mentioned? I don't remember that part.
    No he's not mention but neither is any other witch or wizard. I just think Prefects Who Gained Power...sums up Voldemort.
    Basically it says Percy was enjoying a book called Prefects who gain power which Ron teased him about.
    And after all it was in a Junk Shop so must have been oldish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Actually, Herm hugged Ron when Buckbeak was killed and Ron just stood their not realising that he had this fit young women hugging him for comfort.
    Are you sure? I am +ive it is Harry she hugs then he joins in.

ReputationRep:
    Well I havn't seen the film since the cinema (I'm waiting for the box DVD set of all seven), but I'm pretty sure because I was discussing it with my mates that Ron is an idiot for (as stated before) relising that he had this fit girl hugging him and he wasn't doing a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Well I havn't seen the film since the cinema (I'm waiting for the box DVD set of all seven), but I'm pretty sure because I was discussing it with my mates that Ron is an idiot for (as stated before) relising that he had this fit girl hugging him and he wasn't doing a thing.
    I can't use my parent's dvd right now so someone check. I am pretty sure it is Harry she hugs!

I just read something about Dumbledore watching Tom Riddle being sorted on the summary and came to upon a funny thought

If the hat bearly touched Malfoy imagine what it must have done when it was placed on Tom.....maybe its screamed its tip off! Or was hovering a ft above his head shouted!

ReputationRep:
    I have this page open as well as the summary, since I was "missing" from this thread for quite some time (1 1/2 years) I am just going to make some comments which might get us out of our lull just because I have just reread all 5 books and I am bursting at the seams!

Harry will become an Animagus
    One Word - Stag

Harry gets a new wand so he and Voldemort can duel properly
    Again me but I believe this "new" wand could be either his mother's or father's. I reckon Harry asks to visit the site of the house where his parents dies. It is a complete wreck but Magical folk have protected the site from Muggles in memory of the Potters and of Harry Potter. While he walked around he finds a wand which he takes to the guy who remembers very wand he sells and he'll state it belonged to whoever and Harry will keep it.

Draco has a sibling
    Darla Malfoy!!!!! Come On Darla Malfoy!!! Turns out to be in Ravenclaw and has a huge crush on Ron but goes out with Neville!

Harry will use the time turner to meet his parents
    Harry would be then stuck in that time zone wouldn't he age? Possiblely he could go back in his 7th year after exams and results. His scafice is that he hides in a bush, uses the killing curse on Voldy before the death of his parents who spot Harry when they come to see what is going on. Dumbledore gives Harry truth potion to make sure he tells the truth about his claims to the Potters, makes him DADA teacher and Dumbledore becomes Minster. Oh and his scar is gone and he gets to teach his younger self later in life. The End.
    First of all, I hope Harry becomes a different animal when he becomes an animagus.

Secondly, I like the wand theory.

Thirdly, Darla Malfoy? LOL!

Last, but not the least, that is a good idea... Harry using the time turner to meet his parents. But i think that would really change a lot of stuff in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Twas harry i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyblitzer)
    Last, but not the least, that is a good idea... Harry using the time turner to meet his parents. But i think that would really change a lot of stuff in the future.
    We've done this theory to death. JK has already used the Time Turner as a major plot line and she isn't going to use it again. Besides, one turn backwards means you go back one hour. Think how many times he would have to turn it in order to meet his parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    We've done this theory to death. JK has already used the Time Turner as a major plot line and she isn't going to use it again. Besides, one turn backwards means you go back one hour. Think how many times he would have to turn it in order to meet his parents.
    Lol!!! He would be as old as Dumbledore by the time he finished

Maybe the dumbledore's or someone's pensive (sp) could be used to show Harry images of his parents working for the order and at school. After all there has been a pensive mentioned in the last two books, dumbledore's and then snapes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Hmmm, mugglenet are reporting that theres no Mrs Weasley in GOF. Since there are no Dursleys either I'm guessing the film will start at the world cup (which Mrs Weasley doesn't go to in the film) and then go pretty much straight to school, with them just talking about Moody being attacked then.

So glad to be back, my internets been down for days!!
    I know the 4th book is sooooo long they'll have to cut out some bits but the whole Harry escaping home is ALWAYS an important bit + the toungue sweet(!!!) how can they miss that out?????
    I thought that they could leave big parts out such as the talking before the match and shopping and the christmas holidays except for the night bathroom visit

ReputationRep:
    Lol!!! He would be as old as Dumbledore by the time he finished

Maybe the dumbledore's or someone's pensive (sp) could be used to show Harry images of his parents working for the order and at school. After all there has been a pensive mentioned in the last two books, dumbledore's and then snapes
    He's already seen his parents in pictures, in the Mirror of Erised and the sort of ghost forms at the end of book 4.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I’d intended to other day to go from 500 and read through because I probably missed bits, but after a while decided to start from 550 and though I’d been through most of it I’m glad I did.

(Original post by Newsround)
    She let us know three of the chapter titles:
    • Chapter two - Spinners End
    • Chapter six - Draco's Detour
    • Chapter 14 - Felix Felicis
    And there'll be a new Minister for Magic.
    Ok- did I just completely miss a discussion on this?! New MoM?! I know we’d theorised by I didn’t know JK had said for definite. Ah, very interesting! Will Ron’s accidental prophecy come true I wonder?

Harry gets a new wand so he and Voldemort can duel properly
    Again me but I believe this "new" wand could be either his mother's or father's. I reckon Harry asks to visit the site of the house where his parents dies. It is a complete wreck but Magical folk have protected the site from Muggles in memory of the Potters and of Harry Potter. While he walked around he finds a wand which he takes to the guy who remembers very wand he sells and he'll state it belonged to whoever and Harry will keep it.
    I don’t really like this idea. I see the wand as a personified being almost – like the car and the broomstick. It’d be a betrayal just to get a new one. –And as Olivander said –you’ll never get such good results with another wizard’s wand.

There will be a greater use for the joke shop
    Basement have a special fireplace which is linked to the HQ of Phoenix only because they discover it is unsafe for them to go throught the front door and Mrs W is fed up of the mother's protrait screaming when the doorbell rings.
    Possible. Fred and George certainly wont be responsible merely for humorous props!

Tonks could be anyone
    I reckon Tonks in someone pretty important but because of Voldemort reason had to go undercover - maybe a relation but a good one!
    I remember after first reading the books it struck me what a possible liability she could be. As you say, she could be anyone. However, I like the character and I’m hoping she’s a true goodie. So, not could be anyone, but could become anyone. Very useful.

Percy redeems himself by saving a family member but dies in the process
    Good. Mean Git
    It’s possible, but it’d be a little to smooth for him I think.

Harry has a Godmother somewhere
    McGonnagall maybe...I am sure I read somewhere she said she wasn't a parent so couldn't sign the form but if she was his Godmother she could have but chose not to because of Black.
    Godmother is definitely a possibility. Don’t think it’s be McGonagall. Maybe we’ll find out about some of Lily’s friends?

Ron is actually quite a good seer.
    Nah I reckon this is Harry - Hippogriff in 3rd. Ron said he couldn't see a thing
    I think he could well be. Just need his Dad to become MoM and it’ll be proven nicely. ‘Gryffindor has as much chance of winning the house cup as dad has of becoming Minister of Magic’

The Deatheaters will use the Chamber of Secrets as their HQ
    Question is the chamber on the map anywhere? does Harry add it???
    The Harry adding it part of that is an interesting idea. Sounds good. Perhaps the map should/does have a self-writing part –if they go somewhere new it’ll map it?
    Don’t think it’ll be the Deatheater’s hideout. Hogwarts is meant to be an impenetrable fortress! But- it’s a big space just lying unused at the moment. I’d like to see the cast putting it to some use.

Someone will get ‘splinched’ taking their apparition test
    Herm - she hates flying because she can't learn it out of a book so same here!
    It’s a spell, so I don’t think Hermione should get splinched. Her wand work/pronunciation should be too good for that. It’s not the same type of thing as the broomstick flying.

Kingsley Shacklebolt for Minister of Magic
    Only ones I see it being is Arthur, Percy, Dumbledore, McGonnagall, Lupin. Thoughts?
    I don’t really think of Kingsley as ‘senior’ enough. I see the Aurors as an SAS/SWAT type team. I think Kingsley is an elite soldier, but I can’t see him as MoM.
    Lupin, no- wouldn’t have the publics support- and what experience would he have for the position?
    Percy- nope. Too young. It’d be bizarre for him just to crawl up into Fudges seat.
    McGonagall- nope.
    Arthur – might be an odd election, but it’d go nicely with the Ron thing.
    Dumbledore- obviously good candidate – will he decide Hogwarts survived without him last year so leave again? But he’ll want to keep a good eye on Harry. And it has been said, ‘Dumbledore will never leave Hogwarts’.

(Original post by _EMMA_)
    voldy?! :confused: :cool: is that his real nickname or something you just made up?
    *burst of laughter*

Just imagine if that was a legitimate nickname in the books. Doesn’t quite work with the whole powerful, evil nemesis image does it? 

(Original post by ladyblitzer)
    i want the book on quidditch and monsters was that JK/ WB approved or something?
    >>>

(Original post by Egan1)
    Anyway- I wanted to speak to Sire- but have just checked his profile and he's been off for a month. Did he decide to 'leave'?

Basically, went into town today and in WHSmith spotted the HP school books (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through The Ages) which were in little packs (with a Hogwarts Library bookplate!) reduced to 99p. I remembered he'd asked about them ages ago (not having them in Australia) so have bought him a set should he want to read them.
    I just contacted Sire today (through The Second War) and will be sending him it. As I thought they were a bargain at the time I did buy a second pack, so if you can’t get hold of it Ditzy I can mail you one if you like(?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Ok- did I just completely miss a discussion on this?! New MoM?! I know we’d theorised by I didn’t know JK had said for definite. Ah, very interesting! Will Ron’s accidental prophecy come true I wonder?
    Nice to see one of your long posts again Egan, but I'm afraid Arther isn't going to be the new MoM. Its been comfirmed by JK.

ReputationRep:
    There's a new wizard of the month.

Artemisia Lufkin
    (1754 ? 1825)
    First witch to become Minister of Magic.

Also, JKR updated her website calling for "constant vigilence" saying that we should not buy a hbp e-book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    Also, JKR updated her website calling for "constant vigilence" saying that we should not buy a hbp e-book.
    ARGGGGGGGG she is being controlled by Umbridge....some help her before she wrecks Harry Potter 7

ReputationRep:
    ARGGGGGGGG she is being controlled by Umbridge....
    Umbridge? But it was Moody (or Barty Crouch atleast) who said that.

(Original post by Dude)
    Nice to see one of your long posts again Egan, but I'm afraid Arther isn't going to be the new MoM. Its been comfirmed by JK.
    Ah well, shame Ron theory wise, but I suppose it wouldn't have made that much sense considering his position.

ReputationRep:
    My ideas from the Harry Potter Summary Thread & From Egan's Post - Part Two (Part one being the huge post a few posts up!)

Peeves was once the school caretaker and is taking his revenge on Filch
    What is Peeves? I know he's not a ghost. I don't know why but would love to see a major storyline which involved him because Nearly Headless was the ghost involved in the Chamber of Secrets. Maybe something which involved his living (?) state.

Using the time turner to bring Sirius back. or Veil is a Portkey.
    Nah to both. Both a Time Turner and Portkey have been used as major storylines already.

We never find out what happened to Harry, the series ends with him lying motionless on the floor, a la Sherlock Holmes
    She can't be THAT cruel...can she?

Harry will play Quidditch for England
    Secretly I would perfer Wales because Wales would stand a chance to win the cup! But I know he is English (do wizards have the same sort of Nationalities????) I guess this has been hinted from the start but I believe Harry's ambition to be a Auror comes from his desire to help and I hope it is possible for him to become more than a Quidditch player.

Petunia is hiding a lot from her family, what does she know?
    I am guessing that everything Petunia knows is due to Lilly. I think that once Lilly knew she was in danger she and Petunia had a "secret meeting" where Lilly told her the major things which were going on in the Magical World which would affect Muggles so Petunia know be able to look after her family. Petunia and Lilly however couldn't put their past behind them and Petunia got scared by what she was told and this made her hate Wizard kind even more.

Ron becomes quidditch captain and Head boy
    I think Fred and George would die of shock and shame....lol!

Discover more about the teachers private lives
    How come Professor Fitwick (sp) is so small? How come Professor Binns still teaches?

James and Lupin performed a spell to switch bodies before James died so it was actually Lupin who was killed that night
    how??? and also could James stand being a werewolf??

Marked as an equal does not necessarily refer to Harry’s scar
    It could be a number of things like -
    Harry's a muggle-born mother Voldy a muddle-born father
    Both Orphans
    Both have same wand type
    Both speak Snake-Lingo etc etc

The Deatheaters will use the Chamber of Secrets as their HQ
    then Egan said
    Don’t think it’ll be the Deatheater’s hideout. Hogwarts is meant to be an impenetrable fortress! But- it’s a big space just lying unused at the moment. I’d like to see the cast putting it to some use.

new headquarters of DA?

I really want more stuff to discuss now because I feel empty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Umbridge? But it was Moody (or Barty Crouch atleast) who said that.
    Ok then the ghost of Barty Crouch is control JK - someone help her before she wrecks Harry Potter 7!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.