The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** Watch

This discussion is closed.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
Peeves was once the school caretaker and is taking his revenge on Filch
What is Peeves? I know he's not a ghost. I don't know why but would love to see a major storyline which involved him because Nearly Headless was the ghost involved in the Chamber of Secrets. Maybe something which involved his living (?) state.
Yes, it'll be interesting to see whether he has any more serious involvement in the plot, and whether we'll find out much more about him (and the other ghosts - namely the Bloody Barron) but it's possible not everyone will be drawn into the 'dark' unfurlings of the story. Maybe JK will leave some characters to just be...well, not 'normal' but...*can't find the right words*...well, just to continue on as the characters we know them to be, without going too deep?

Petunia is hiding a lot from her family, what does she know?
I am guessing that everything Petunia knows is due to Lilly. I think that once Lilly knew she was in danger she and Petunia had a "secret meeting" where Lilly told her the major things which were going on in the Magical World which would affect Muggles so Petunia know be able to look after her family. Petunia and Lilly however couldn't put their past behind them and Petunia got scared by what she was told and this made her hate Wizard kind even more.
It'd be interesting if it was the other way round. That Petunia somehow introduced Lilly into magic (obviously not through being a witch herself- but somehow...).

Ron becomes quidditch captain and Head boy
I think Fred and George would die of shock and shame....lol!
I was going to say, in reference to being Quidditch captain that it might be another thing to sort of 'upset' Harry (like him not getting Prefect) done to not give him more pressure of whatever. But thinking about it, even if it doesn't happen, it might actually be pretty practical to have Ron as Captain. -He's really good at chess right? So he's good at thinking tactically, manoeuvering pieces and considering strategies for both attack and defence.
Makes sense me thinks.

Discover more about the teachers private lives
How come Professor Fitwick (sp) is so small? How come Professor Binns still teaches?
I don't think Flitwick needs a reason to be small!
But topic-wise, I wonder if there will be occassion for us to find out more about them/their families. If the forces of good are gathering to collaberate- surely them and their spouses should be getting involved?

James and Lupin performed a spell to switch bodies before James died so it was actually Lupin who was killed that night
how??? and also could James stand being a werewolf??
The idea seems a bit silly to me- like the 'Crookshanks is James' theories. If he was really alive he'd show himself to Harry! (and we know he's dead anyway- as he came out the wand!). Besides- he wouldn't do it in the first place. It'd basically be sacrificing someone else for his life and, assuming he's the 'good' character we're made to believe, there's no way he'd do it. -And it's not like he could leave his wife and child and run either is it?

The Deatheaters will use the Chamber of Secrets as their HQ
then Egan said
Don’t think it’ll be the Deatheater’s hideout. Hogwarts is meant to be an impenetrable fortress! But- it’s a big space just lying unused at the moment. I’d like to see the cast putting it to some use.

new headquarters of DA?
Possibly!
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hmmm, about Harry using his parents' wand to kill Voldie (when did we first start using this nickname?), I don't really like that theory. As Megan said, the wand is sort of personal. I still think that wandless magic might play some sort of part in helping defeat Voldie.
Peeves is a poltergeist (can't spell it). I don't reckon we'd find out much about his past. It doesn't seem too important.
Petunia definitely knows more about the qizarding world. I still go on my theory that Petunia might have been ok about magic before, but then her parents got killed by Voldie and she blamed Lily and magic for it or something.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Ok- did I just completely miss a discussion on this?! New MoM?! I know we’d theorised by I didn’t know JK had said for definite. Ah, very interesting! Will Ron’s accidental prophecy come true I wonder?
I don't think you missed the discussion, just forgot about it, I think JKR announced this in that webchat she did for the WOrld Book Day last year (think it was sometime in March) She has since confirmed via her website that the new minister won't be Arthur (so gutted, I liked that theory!!)

(Original post by Egan1)
I just contacted Sire today (through The Second War) and will be sending him it. As I thought they were a bargain at the time I did buy a second pack, so if you can’t get hold of it Ditzy I can mail you one if you like(?).
Did you meant to direct this post to Ladyblitzer rather than me?
amo1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Deatheaters will use the Chamber of Secrets as their HQ
then Egan said
Don’t think it’ll be the Deatheater’s hideout. Hogwarts is meant to be an impenetrable fortress! But- it’s a big space just lying unused at the moment. I’d like to see the cast putting it to some use.

new headquarters of DA?

I really want more stuff to discuss now because I feel empty!
wont work only harry can open it
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
I don't think you missed the discussion, just forgot about it, I think JKR announced this in that webchat she did for the WOrld Book Day last year (think it was sometime in March) She has since confirmed via her website that the new minister won't be Arthur (so gutted, I liked that theory!!)
Bizarre- I really can't remember at all!
But I have been on and off much more since 2004 so it's possible I missed it (though I thought I'd read up on most of the discussion!)

(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Did you meant to direct this post to Ladyblitzer rather than me?
Ah yes, whoops!
Mishael
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've always wondered (and it's probably been brought up before somewhere in the past 560 pages :p: ) why Dumbledore and all the past heads have turned a blind eye to all the dodgy dealings in Slytherin.

All the death eaters and Voldie himself graduated from Hogworts...surely its a bit irresponsible for the school to have made no effort to stop them? Or to stop their children from following the same path?
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Hmmm, about Harry using his parents' wand to kill Voldie (when did we first start using this nickname?), I don't really like that theory. As Megan said, the wand is sort of personal. I still think that wandless magic might play some sort of part in helping defeat Voldie.
Peeves is a poltergeist (can't spell it). I don't reckon we'd find out much about his past. It doesn't seem too important.
Petunia definitely knows more about the qizarding world. I still go on my theory that Petunia might have been ok about magic before, but then her parents got killed by Voldie and she blamed Lily and magic for it or something.
I know a wand is personal but look at Ron for two and a half years he used Charlie's old wand and look at Neveille (sp) for 5 years he used his dad's
and Harry managed to use Hermy's in 3rd
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by amo1)
wont work only harry can open it
Anyone who can speak parseltongue can open it. And there could be another secret entrance.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/harrypotter/
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/potter2/
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/potter3/
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/potter4/
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/harrypotter5/

Good to see Harvard Students have time for fun!

What do you reckon about the Charater Analysis for Hermy for Book One..I had never thought of her like that!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know a wand is personal but look at Ron for two and a half years he used Charlie's old wand and look at Neveille (sp) for 5 years he used his dad's
and Harry managed to use Hermy's in 3rd
Yes, but neither did excessively well with them did they? They managed, fair enough, but Harry is going in for a life and death thing; having diluted spells will not help him against Voldemort.

While it is possible he could get a replacement, I still think there's the 'loyalty' issue on his part.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Yes, but neither did excessively well with them did they? They managed, fair enough, but Harry is going in for a life and death thing; having diluted spells will not help him against Voldemort.

While it is possible he could get a replacement, I still think there's the 'loyalty' issue on his part.
hmm I just keep wondering though about Charlie's wand...if it was his old one then surely he has a new one

As for diluted spells, Ron's spell againist the troll in book one wasn't that diluted and Neville is just plain stupid.

Maybe they is more than just one wand per wizard because you have to consider what if a wand gets damaged, snapped etc.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mugglenet)
Elizabeth Hurley for Bellatrix Lestrange?
Dark Horizons is reporting CNBC News last night said that Elizabeth Hurley ("Bedazzled", "Austin Powers") has been offered a role in Order of the Phoenix as an "evil witch". Our guess is that "evil witch" is Bellatrix Lestrange. She hasn't accepted yet, but is thinking about it. Thanks to TLC for the tip.
Hmmm, interesting!!
ladyblitzer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mishael)
I've always wondered (and it's probably been brought up before somewhere in the past 560 pages :p: ) why Dumbledore and all the past heads have turned a blind eye to all the dodgy dealings in Slytherin.

All the death eaters and Voldie himself graduated from Hogworts...surely its a bit irresponsible for the school to have made no effort to stop them? Or to stop their children from following the same path?
I'm sure that Dumbledore and the past heads have known about what the Slytherins do, and I think that they really wanted to do something about those stuff. But I guess they figured that the students have their own choice, and that it's possible that they might turn away even more if they tried to stop them. I mean, they're big enough and they can think for themselves, it's just too bad that they could easily be swayed by the offer to have more power, etc.

And not all follow the path of their parents, and not every bad guy is in Slytherin. Sirius is a very good example... coming from a dark sided family (but were they death eaters?), yet he served the Order to fight the dark side. And Peter as well... Gryffindor, but what a traitor...
ladyblitzer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
I just contacted Sire today (through The Second War) and will be sending him it. As I thought they were a bargain at the time I did buy a second pack, so if you can’t get hold of it Ditzy I can mail you one if you like(?).
Shipping and the books for free? LOL.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Maybe they is more than just one wand per wizard because you have to consider what if a wand gets damaged, snapped etc
I think there probably is/can be - I'm sure Olivander said something indicatory to that at some point, and if you think about it- the English witches/and wizards just happen to find their wands with Olivander- but there are makers all over the world who would have a wider variety, so there are probably multiple wands that they could match up with.

-However, I'm talking about Harry specificly here.
If he thinks of his wand in the same way he thinks of his broom, then he will feel some connection/loyalty to it. I also think- because JK has made this big thing of his wand, this connection with Fawks and Voldemort, he wont put it aside and get a new one.

hmm I just keep wondering though about Charlie's wand...if it was his old one then surely he has a new one.
I'm going to be really cheesy here and aliken finding a matching-wand to the principle of falling in love.
While there is the fairy-tale 'one-true-love', in reality there are most likely hundreds/thousands of people you could fall in love with. In the same way, there are probably numerous wands you would be compatible with. However -in the same way people are spread about the world, so are wands -and the chances of you meeting every single possible-partner you could be happy with are slim to none. Your chances are limited (unless you/they travel etc) by the places in which you live and who is around you. So the majority of British people will have British partners, in the same way the Hogwarts students are most likely to find their/a suited wand at Olivander's.
But, just people they have found that match, doesn't mean that relationship will always remain as strong. As people get older/mature/experience new things they will change. Their personality and opinions of people and 'things' may differ to how they were before, and so they may no longer be 'compatible' with the people (/wands) they might have gotten on with before.

This would basically explain how people could have multiple wands, but at the same time it is possible that a wizard-wand relationship could be maintained for life.

It may be that Harry gets a new wand in the future, but personally I don't think that this will happen before his defeat (assuming all ends well) of Voldemort.

Have I woffled sufficiently on that one?!

As for diluted spells, Ron's spell againist the troll in book one wasn't that diluted and Neville is just plain stupid.
I'm not saying they can't be effective -just that on occasion they might not allow the wizard/witch to cast the spell to his/her maximum potential. I'm sure the problems would increase as the spell difficulty rose.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ladyblitzer)
Shipping and the books for free? LOL.
Well, I am lovely

I wouldn't Fed-Ex it or anything (so you probably wouldn't get it for a while) but assuming that I'm looking at the right shipping-costs, the offer is there.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the wands because I really think JK is building up to something there!
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ladyblitzer)
I'm sure that Dumbledore and the past heads have known about what the Slytherins do, and I think that they really wanted to do something about those stuff. But I guess they figured that the students have their own choice, and that it's possible that they might turn away even more if they tried to stop them. I mean, they're big enough and they can think for themselves, it's just too bad that they could easily be swayed by the offer to have more power, etc.

And not all follow the path of their parents, and not every bad guy is in Slytherin. Sirius is a very good example... coming from a dark sided family (but were they death eaters?), yet he served the Order to fight the dark side. And Peter as well... Gryffindor, but what a traitor...
Besides, remember that the Slytherins arn't really evil. The founders Gyriffindor and Slytherin were best friends apperently.

Sirius's parents weren't Death Eaters, only his brother was.
LaZyGaL
Report 13 years ago
but his parents are evil, right? even tnhough they not death-eaters
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Totally evil
*ding dong*

*puts on a Mrs Black type voice*YOU TRAITORS FILTHY MUDBLOODS DIGRACES TO THE NAME WIZARD. GET OUT THE HOUSE OF MY FATHERS..

Yeah totally evil
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads