Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Trust me, it was Herminone. Because Ron said to her "Well if your so smart, you do it then" and she does.

And JK said that Harrys eyes will play an important role.
    ^^Smart man^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    ^^Smart man^^
    When you've read each book about 20-30 times each, information tends to stick in your head.

I've thought of a new topic (rather silly one). What do you think they will leave out of the new movie. We know that they are missing out the Dursleys, but what else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    When you've read each book about 20-30 times each, information tends to stick in your head.

I've thought of a new topic (rather silly one). What do you think they will leave out of the new movie. We know that they are missing out the Dursleys, but what else?
    A better question is probably "What are they leaving in?" Answer: not much.

ReputationRep:
    A better question is probably "What are they leaving in?" Answer: not much.
    Your properly right. From the trailer we can see they've got the Dark Mark scene, the three Tasks, the Yule Ball and one lesson.

Pretty much sums up the movie I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Your properly right. From the trailer we can see they've got the Dark Mark scene, the three Tasks, the Yule Ball and one lesson.

Pretty much sums up the movie I think.
    Presumably they might make mention of Harry's little tête à tête with Voldemort at the end?

ReputationRep:
    What else needs to go in the movie? A lot of GoF is descriptions, the entire chapter on the world cup can be done in 30 seconds with a camera panning round the scene, like wise for a lot of the other events, like the tasks and the ball, ok the Dursley's have been axed, but they hardly play a huge role in this film, and would have been the obvious one to axe

ReputationRep:
    It was Harry!! Hermione probably did some good levitating too, but Harry definitely surprised himself by doing it perfectly, or so I remember. Right, I'm going to find the bit. I think it was book 3/4. That's another thing, Harry always seems surprised by his magical ability, as he's not a technical genius, but shows flashes of brilliance. Like with his Patronus in book 3, he thought his dad created it, but then clocked on that it was actually himself. He's pretty slow.

EDIT: I found the bit! It's in the Goblet of Fire, chapter 26, pg 418. So I'll set the scene for you a bit. Harry, Ron and Hermione are practicing the 'Banishing Charm' in class while discussing some theory or something. Sorry about that rubbish synopsis. Anyway, Hermione does hers perfectly and everything, while Harry and Ron are having a wee bit of trouble; " 'I just want to know what Snape did with his first chance, if he's on his second one,' said Harry grimly, and his cushion, to his very great surprise, flew straight across the room, and landed neatly on top of Hermione's."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    What else needs to go in the movie? A lot of GoF is descriptions, the entire chapter on the world cup can be done in 30 seconds with a camera panning round the scene, like wise for a lot of the other events, like the tasks and the ball, ok the Dursley's have been axed, but they hardly play a huge role in this film, and would have been the obvious one to axe
    I don't think so really. The opening chapter of every book has been at the Dursley house. They could have slipped them in even if it was only for 5 seconds.

(Original post by Rose64)
    It was Harry!! Hermione probably did some good levitating too, but Harry definitely surprised himself by doing it perfectly, or so I remember. Right, I'm going to find the bit. I think it was book 3/4. That's another thing, Harry always seems surprised by his magical ability, as he's not a technical genius, but shows flashes of brilliance. Like with his Patronus in book 3, he thought his dad created it, but then clocked on that it was actually himself. He's pretty slow.

EDIT: I found the bit! It's in the Goblet of Fire, chapter 26, pg 418. So I'll set the scene for you a bit. Harry, Ron and Hermione are practicing the 'Banishing Charm' in class while discussing some theory or something. Sorry about that rubbish synopsis. Anyway, Hermione does hers perfectly and everything, while Harry and Ron are having a wee bit of trouble; " 'I just want to know what Snape did with his first chance, if he's on his second one,' said Harry grimly, and his cushion, to his very great surprise, flew straight across the room, and landed neatly on top of Hermione's."
    I was going to metion it in this post. That was the Banishing Charm and was with cushions. You were talking about the Levitating Charm in the first book with the feathers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I don't think so really. The opening chapter of every book has been at the Dursley house. They could have slipped them in even if it was only for 5 seconds.
    Its not the opening chapter (but I'm just being pedantic there!!) and nothing really happens, Harry has some dreams, the Weasleys take him away, personally I'd rather they cut that bit and left something more important in later on in the film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Its not the opening chapter (but I'm just being pedantic there!!) and nothing really happens, Harry has some dreams, the Weasleys take him away, personally I'd rather they cut that bit and left something more important in later on in the film
    I'm one of those people that likes the beginings in films though. I like the fact that it starts in a "normal" house in England (Surry to be exact) and then it goes to complete hell in the wizarding world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I was going to metion it in this post. That was the Banishing Charm and was with cushions. You were talking about the Levitating Charm in the first book with the feathers.
    Yea. I wasn't actually talking about the levitating charm in the first book with the feathers though. I knew it involved a cushion! And my point still stands :cool:

ReputationRep:
    ^^

I remember something from an early book about a levitation class, when Harry's cushion/feather/some other levitate-able object "flew up and landed perfectly"
    Point proven.

It wasn't levitation, it was the banishing charm and had nothing to do with levitation at all. And it was in book four, which wasn't an early book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    ^^

Point proven.

It wasn't levitation, it was the banishing charm and had nothing to do with levitation at all. And it was in book four, which wasn't an early book.
    Lol, woah... it involved and object moving independently. I'm sorry for getting the word wrong. :s

ReputationRep:
    Lol, woah... it involved and object moving independently. I'm sorry for getting the word wrong. :s
    It's not moving independently though.

ReputationRep:
    It's not moving independently though.
    :fisheye: ok.. an object being in the air free from support? Lol.. but let's not get anal or anything. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ha! Just saw the trailer. Some of it looked very dodgy - I was looking over my mums shoulder but were the competitors wearing some sort of lycra suit? Hmmm...I think I'll have to rewatch (and hopefully discover I was horribly mistaken!)

ReputationRep:
    :fisheye: ok.. an object being in the air free from support? Lol.. but let's not get anal or anything. :p:
    Free of natural support would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Ha! Just saw the trailer. Some of it looked very dodgy - I was looking over my mums shoulder but were the competitors wearing some sort of lycra suit? Hmmm...I think I'll have to rewatch (and hopefully discover I was horribly mistaken!)
    Doth my eyes decieve me? Egan!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Doth my eyes decieve me? Egan!!!!!
    Behold, for I have returned!

(...or perhaps just another in a long line of sporadic visits)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Behold, for I have returned!

(...or perhaps just another in a long line of sporadic visits)
    Time for cake and butterbeer me thinks.

*slices cake*

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.