Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    he is gonna die to the dismay of fans.. but hey, something miraculous will happen to save his life... and whola.. a revived harry potter...

Remember this guys all that im stupidly saying might get true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staylor)
    Ooh good idea - we need a picture though.
    HP in lighting font.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    HP in lighting font.
    That sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    whos HP's love interest???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    Don't think he'll have time to have a proper relationship, so at least until Voldie's defeated, I think he'll have a bit of trouble in that department. You reckon Ginny has a chance?

ReputationRep:
    HP in lighting font.
    I have it installed on my computer. Might have a play a bit later if people legitimately want one!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...if you really wanted one it'd probably need to be a bit more snazzy (maybe with a glow or something) - But look, a snitch!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Egan1/HPcopy.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Hmmm...if you really wanted one it'd probably need to be a bit more snazzy (maybe with a glow or something) - But look, a snitch!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Egan1/HPcopy.jpg
    That's a good one. The one from Xenon's avatar would be very good as well.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good one. The one from Xenon's avatar would be very good as well.
    Ah yeah, didn't think of that. Just painted one up quickly to fit the right size.

ReputationRep:
    :waves: Please can I join the HP Soc? I can write long posts too...see thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    Hermione. They just don't know it yet....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    :waves: Please can I join the HP Soc?
    There isn't an actual HP society. Or atleast, not as yet. It was just something we were discussing.

Hermione. They just don't know it yet....
    If Hermione and Ron haven't 'gotten together' by the end of the series (I'm expecting it in book 6), I'll eat my hat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    If Hermione and Ron haven't 'gotten together' by the end of the series (I'm expecting it in book 6), I'll eat my hat!
    In POA it makes it so much more obvious that there could/should be something, eg. when they're looking at the shrieking shack and Hermione asks Ron if he wants to move closer, and he thinks she means closer to her...

Reading the books I didn't like the idea, but I've warmed to the idea of something going on between them. So now, well, I reckon something will happen.

ReputationRep:
    i really hope harry dies as the books suck, all the story lines have been borrowed from better books. everyone should read barry trotter, its much better.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fleff)
    In POA it makes it so much more obvious that there could/should be something, eg. when they're looking at the shrieking shack and Hermione asks Ron if he wants to move closer, and he thinks she means closer to her...

Reading the books I didn't like the idea, but I've warmed to the idea of something going on between them. So now, well, I reckon something will happen.
    Well it's got to be a good sub-plot hasn't it? As the books become more complex, the number of sub-plots seem to increase - almost inevitably as you get to know more about the characters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melleon)
    i really hope harry dies as the books suck, all the story lines have been borrowed from better books.
    With a statement like that, I want evidence and explanation! (SQE and all that)

While aspects of the story are based on genre(fantasy) stereotypes or conventions (magic -> wands, brooms, mythical creatures etc) I would strongly (and doubtless, unsurprisingly) disagree with what you've said. If you're just stirring fine, blah, but if you're serious in your statement please post the book titles and authors from which 'all the story lines' have supposedly been taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    With a statement like that, I want evidence and explanation! (SQE and all that)

While aspects of the story are based on genre(fantasy) stereotypes or conventions (magic -> wands, brooms, mythical creatures etc) I would strongly (and doubtless, unsurprisingly) disagree with what you've said. If you're just stirring fine, blah, but if you're serious in your statement please post the book titles and authors from which 'all the story lines' have supposedly been taken.
    come on!!!! just look take the lord of the rings for example servant of evil guy wormtongue, harry potter wormtail!!!!
    there was an entire artical about it the the newspaper when the potter books first became popular, from what others i remember ideas from...
    the narnia cronicals
    the worst witch
    the lord of the rings

all much better books

ReputationRep:
    actually, i've noticed the LOTR - Harry Potter similarities too, and there are a lot of them! but that doesn't reduce the quality of JKR's books at all. isn't there some quote that says something like "bad authors borrow, good authors steal" (or smthin to that effect)

my own prediction is that harry will die in the seventh book
    otherwise why wouldn't she continue writing about 'harry potter grows up', 'harry potter gets a job', etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenyth!)
    actually, i've noticed the LOTR - Harry Potter similarities too, and there are a lot of them! but that doesn't reduce the quality of JKR's books at all. isn't there some quote that says something like "bad authors borrow, good authors steal" (or smthin to that effect)

otherwise why wouldn't she continue writing about 'harry potter grows up', 'harry potter gets a job', etc.
    It would cheapen the series a bit wouldnt it. She says that we'll kow everything we need to by the end of the series.

ReputationRep:
    actually, i've noticed the LOTR - Harry Potter similarities too, and there are a lot of them!
    I'm not saying there are no similarities to other books, and as I've said, within a genre, many authors share traditional conventions/concepts etc and work them into their own works differently.

I think if you look at almost any fantasy book you can find ideas and character types that share similarities to concepts and characters in Lord of the Rings and many other books.

For example, in the majority of novels, the plot will be based around the concept of 'good and evil'. You will have a side for the good, with a hero/heroine or a group of said heroes (most likely lead by a wise and strong head) who will fight for the side of good. Then, obviously on the other side you have the baddies. The baddies are almost always lead by a singular 'evil' being, most likely with a small number/ring of dark strong (but not as powerful) underlings. If the story is on a grand scale, the nemesis' ring of evil companions will also command vast numbers of minions.
    This pyramid is basically just how countries and armies are run, nothing new there, just a logical concept, employed by countless authors.

Then of course, within the groups of good and evil you have certain character types, again used in many many books. The heroes, the aniti-hereos, the humorous characters, the faithful side kicks, the wise (often older characters), the evil empowered, the minions and of course, the betrayers - which is where Wormtail and Wormtongue come in. While Tolkein's books were original in many aspects, he didn't create the concept of good vs evil, fictional creatures, magic, swords etc, and he wasn't the first person to have written a character who betrayed his companions and turned 'to the dark side'.

If you were referring to the character names, then I'll concede that they are very similar, and as they are of the same character-type I can understand why people make claims that she has taken the character from another story. It's very possible, likely even, that she was heavily influenced by Tolkein but while she may have used the same tools, the finished product (or as far as we are) is very different. I don't think a shared name or idea here and there is enough to render the entire plot unoriginal!

So, I've woffled on for a while now and hopefully made my point. Basically, what I'm contesting is that 'all the story lines' have effectively been taken from other stories.

Because she wants to try writing other things? And her books thus far have been focussed around a central plot that will presumably be resolved by the end of the 7th book.

And...what he said >>>

(Original post by staylor)
    It would cheapen the series a bit wouldnt it. She says that we'll kow everything we need to by the end of the series.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.