The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My friend once made me a Hogwarts acceptance letter. She mixed glue with red nail polish to make a seal for the envelope and everything. And the paper was dampened and washed with a tea bag to make it look like parchment. I thought it was a bit sad when she gave it to me, but now that I'm a fully fledged and obsessive fan, I think it's neat.
Reply 11801
October Project
My friend once made me a Hogwarts acceptance letter. She mixed glue with red nail polish to make a seal for the envelope and everything. And the paper was dampened and washed with a tea bag to make it look like parchment. I thought it was a bit sad when she gave it to me, but now that I'm a fully fledged and obsessive fan, I think it's neat.

Heh, well this is based on an in-joke with him that's been going on for a while so the concept isn't completely out of the blue.

I'd post it but as it's a pic of him I'd better not. However, now his transformation is done I'm quite tempted to make a little story out of it *may never go to bed*. Ah, personal birthday cards/presents are always fun :smile:
Reply 11802
Hurrah! It's now 4:47am and I've just finished. Time for bed me thinks.

The 'card' has turned into a 3 page story + after-comments. :smile:
Reply 11803
I don't think I've ever mentioned it on this thread, but I think I need to change my vote on the poll. For several months now, I've seen Harry's death as the only way out for JKR.
Im not sure. I think that the entire poll is not really important because Harrys death will be a background issue. The story will begin to rotate around some other event.
Well one of thems got to die so it's a 50/50 chance it's Harry!
Reply 11806
staylor
Im not sure. I think that the entire poll is not really important because Harrys death will be a background issue. The story will begin to rotate around some other event.

I kind of think his death will be a little more than a back-ground issue.
Reply 11807
I found out that theres a music gig at my local pub the same Friday that the new book is released (its out at Midnight this year at WH Smiths). So as the gig finishes at 11.00pm, I can go straight to the shop to buy it :smile:
Moncal
I kind of think his death will be a little more than a back-ground issue.

Thats not really what I meant but I cant explain it really. I just kind of feel that the death is so long anticipated that we will be surprised by JK and something will happen which (I dont know, this si all gut feeling) we dont expect. Perhaps Harry and Voldemort are forced into one body or something I dont know. It just seems too obvious that 'one will die and one will not'.
And why arent they having a midnight opening for Knife of Dreams :frown:
lol this is page 592!!!!!!! thats mad, anyway, am looking forward to new Harry Potter wish is was realesed a bit earlier after exams sitting in the sun readin Harry Potter what would be better!
Sitting in the sun with Tesco 52p dark chocolate which has just come out the fridge getting ready to START Harry Potter and knowing that it will take you all day.
Reply 11812
it'll be so wicked, knowing that i can read the book and know i have nothing else that i could be doing at all,lol ooooh i really cant wait now! the best chocolate is my local cash and carry, thet always have a 'short date' box so i can get 5 of the big big cadbury choclate bars (200g ones) for a £1 total hehehe!
Yeah but milk chocolate just doesnt cut the mustard. Reasonably dark is best, though the cadburys milk with crunchy bits can be quite nice.
Reply 11814
staylor
Yeah but milk chocolate just doesnt cut the mustard. Reasonably dark is best, though the cadburys milk with crunchy bits can be quite nice.

Uuuurrrgggghhhhh! No!
What? To the dark or to the crunchie bits.

Mmmm...crunchy bits :smile:
Reply 11816
So, on the 2nd Harry Potter book. Had the snake been there all of them years since the chamber of secrets was built?
Reply 11817
LPK
So, on the 2nd Harry Potter book. Had the snake been there all of them years since the chamber of secrets was built?

Yep :smile: .

According to "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them", the Baslix (spelt wrong, I know) can live for about thousand years (I think).
Reply 11818
Do you think were due for the secret door to open on the website soon? There are only 17 days to go and we still haven't seen the synopsis on the back for the book (I'm sure it was realised before the last book)
Ditzy
Do you think were due for the secret door to open on the website soon? There are only 17 days to go and we still haven't seen the synopsis on the back for the book (I'm sure it was realised before the last book)

I was looking at it yesterday and it doesn't seem like there's been any updates for ages...I think she'll definitely put some last minute teasers up. :smile:

As for Harry's death, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it's Ron who's going to die. Logically I think Harry HAS to defeat Voldermort - it's what all the books have been leading towards, and it would be wholly unsatisfying for the world to be plunged into blood and chaos right at the end of a series JK has already stated she has no intention of continuing.

But for Harry to die as well as Voldermort... I think this would be almost as unsatisfying. Harry is Voldermort's nemesis and antithisis - Harry was saved by love and Voldermort is consumed by hate. There is going to be a long and bloody battle before Voldermort is defeated, and at the end there needs to be someone to lead the wizarding world forward into a bright new future. I think the only logical candidate for this is Harry.

But I think the ending has to be a tragic one. JK has been ruthless in the past and she's made it clear that this is no happy fairy story. In any war there are tragic losses. So far Sirius has died; the message is starting to hit home. But I think there's worse to come. War is not glamourous and heroic - it's ugly and brutal and horrible, and a happy ending would mask the crucial importance of this message.

And I think the message is going to be driven home by Ron's death. Ron is Harry's best friend, Hermione (arguably) has feelings for him, we know his whole family. The reader would fully understand the implications of his death - more so than any other character except perhaps Harry.

The final scenes in which Harry defeats Voldermort are going to be very tricky to write - Harry is not a murderer, and killing ANYONE will not be easy for him. Killing Voldermort too easily and heartlessly would be wholly against his character. I think Ron is going to sacrifice himself so that Harry can finally let go of all his doubts and fears and kill Voldermort. I have the feeling that Harry will only do this when he has nothing left to lose.

And then I think October Project's right - Ron's death would finally put him above and beyond all his brothers; he'd be famous forever. It would be a tragic ending but an ultimately satisfying one.

But I really hope I'm wrong, because I don't want Ron to die. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending