Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't edit them but don't click on any links to external sites in this thread unless you don't mind having the book spoiled.

who cried like a baby when he died?

i'm still sniffling...geez,how could JKR do that??

i thought the book was really good - except for the death *glowers*

ReputationRep:
    WHAT WHO DIED :eek: i wanna know !!

geez i can't tell you...but its a really REALLY horrible death and ...and...*breaks down*

ReputationRep:
    cool:p:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doom_and_Gloom)
    Oh now that was cruel :mad:misguiding people like that. At least tell the truth of what it could be. Good thing I've already already heard about that one before.
    actually.. that one is true its in the book (page 566 on UK version)

ReputationRep:
    So, things don't have to go under a spoiler tag in here then? Awesome.

I thought the book was a bit weird, tbh...the style is very different again. I think I'll get used to it though. It's not so much a school-book anymore, or at least that's the feel I got. Guess that's cos they're at war...

I hate what happened to Bill!

ReputationRep:
    So... was it bullsh*t or are you all too busy reading the book?? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I felt a bit iffy I guess, more later on than at the actual death bit. JKR handles the deaths in her books far too quickly and lightly imo. Especially in OOTP, I didn't quite believe it had happened because it was handled so lightly, and I felt that again in this one.

ReputationRep:
    I liked it but Im not that happy. The style did feel different. Plus Ron and Hermione were pushed too far to the sidelines for my liking. In the other books (esp the early ones) they worked things out with harry. This time it seemed to be all him, with them going "no harry, you're wrong" at every turn. That didnt feel right. Plus I felt like things were being spelt out far too much. Even Harry had very little to do. So much was just handed to him on a plate by Dumbledore - they watched the memory and then Dumbledore pointed out the important things. We are not idiots!

Also I thought it was fairly depressing. Harry lost basically the only other protective figure in his life that was left (will Hagrid be next?) and there was generally much less of the Enid Blyton style jollyness that there was in the other books. Phoenix with the DA there was a real feeling of togetherness. In this one it was a bit more desolate (and not in a good, gothic brooding way) like at the end when only Neville and Luna came to help and it was said that that was because they basically had no friends and so sat around wishing that there was some kind of catastrophe so they could have a bit of human contact!

Wow and how much of a love-in was it at the end? So many couples! Lupin and Tonks were quite sweet though.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a spoiler thread or not?

ReputationRep:
    Too much of a love in I think At times it felt more like fanfic than HP. And the whole death thing seems to be as casual as the last two which I'm not too fond of. I think it felt the least self contained of the whole series so far - e.g. what happened with Snape, there are still Horcuxes left, no big showdown with Mouldy Voldy, who R. A. B. is (Regulus Black is the closest initials I can think of), etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought of Regulus Black too...and that would be a twist, as in Phoenix, he was painted as a coward.

I totally agree about the fanfic thing...at times, it felt like she was trying to explain every question she's ever been asked, and there wasn't much plot. Though I did like finding out about young Tom Riddle.

Didn't JKR say somewhere though, that books 6 and 7 were best treated as two halves of one story? That's really what it feels like...though it won't be the same if Harry & co don't go back to Hogwarts next year.

Think there'll be a fair few disappointed people with this, as the style has changed so much...I'm rereading it, and it is better on the second read, but still really not what I expected/was hoping for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by absentmindedone)
    Yeah, I thought of Regulus Black too
    Yep me too Plus he calls him the Dark Lord which is a death eater thing and it says that he'll be dead by the time V reads it and Regulus was killed by death eaters. Seems like maybe he had a reason for leaving them rather than just cowardice.

This one definitely is less self-contained. Thats annoying because we'll probably have to wait ages for the next book. Grr! I hate that because I was much less excited about this one coming out than previous ones. The gap has just been too long. I've gone out and got myself a life since Phoenix. She shouldnt have left me time to do that!

ReputationRep:
    The lead up to the death was a bit drawn out, but then it was just over, poof, like that. I would have thought there would be a bigger deal made over it, though the centaurs were cool...

ReputationRep:
    If I was you... I'd make my own... since this was started as a joke... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The gap before the next will be even longer! Cos I mean, she's got a young family that needs raising, and the last I heard, she hadn't started writing it.

Plus I reckon it's going to be totally different...if Harry isn't going back to Hogwarts, but going hunting Horcruxes instead, well, it's going to be an adventure novel rather than a school novel.

I'm rereading it at the moment...trying to see whether it feels less disjointed.

I could have kicked Harry when he left Ginny at the end. Grr! Though I'm glad Ron and Hermione are sticking with him, as they didn't through most of the book.

ReputationRep:
    anyone other than me think harry potter sucks...i think its a trashy novel...can't stand reading it, and don't understand what the fuss is about...can anyone explain it to me?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.