Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    i really hate snape but I think he would have gloated far more if he had been bad. And I think he would have done something to Harry even though Harry was to be left to voldie because he couldn't resist it.

Probably Harrys strongest helper is now snape (anyone else surprised how badass snape can be), but snape and harry hate each other, and I think Harry will try to kill snape. Will snape crack under the pressure of lying to Voldemort and keeping that up and trying to help Harry without him realising it.

ReputationRep:
    Snape'll turn out good in a way. He might sacrifice himself for Harry in book 7. But knowing JKR, something bizarre will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    I actually think that the pensieve will hold answers, something that maybe Dumbledore planted in there to explain things should he have been killed.
    Good idea, but I think the decision was more spur of the moment from the time when Snape walked into DD's office. Jk Rowling did a quality job at this stage of the book!

ReputationRep:
    I think (well this is partly my friends theory) that Dumbledore said to Snape that he had to prove he was sorry. So I think that they made an unbreakable vow. I think that the unbreakable vow was to protect Harry or to kill Voldemort (or possibly both) and thats why Snape hates him so much. He hates the fact he has to keep him safe in order to redeem himself. So thats why Dumbledore trusts Snape absolutely and he knows Snape has to do whats best in the long run so if that includes killing Dumbledore so be it. Dumbledore is a great believer in the bigger picture.
    I imagine that unbreakable vows go on after death some magic does, so Snape won't be freed until Voldemort is gone.

Thats why he flipped when he was called a coward by Harry because he has to protect him to the extent of killing someone he respected and infiltrating the darkest group in the wizarding world. hardly cowardly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feeling good)
    Good idea, but I think the decision was more spur of the moment from the time when Snape walked into DD's office. Jk Rowling did a quality job at this stage of the book!
    It might have been something that Dumbledore prepared in advance, before he and Harry went to the cave, kept the memories in phials just in case it should arise that he might not survive a certain outing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feeling good)
    I think Dumbledore might have left useful stuff like bits of his memory behind and what about his portrait in the school I'm sure that should have somethng to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I think (well this is partly my friends theory) that Dumbledore said to Snape that he had to prove he was sorry. So I think that they made an unbreakable vow. I think that the unbreakable vow was to protect Harry or to kill Voldemort (or possibly both) and thats why Snape hates him so much. He hates the fact he has to keep him safe in order to redeem himself. So thats why Dumbledore trusts Snape absolutely and he knows Snape has to do whats best in the long run so if that includes killing Dumbledore so be it. Dumbledore is a great believer in the bigger picture.
    I imagine that unbreakable vows go on after death some magic does, so Snape won't be freed until Voldemort is gone.

Thats why he flipped when he was called a coward by Harry because he has to protect him to the extent of killing someone he respected and infiltrating the darkest group in the wizarding world. hardly cowardly.
    That is a possibility, since it would hardly be characteristic of Dumbledore to make that big a mistake and after all, he has a certain ability for knowing many things.

ReputationRep:
    again ambiguous. Why was he blocking him rather than really attacking him, why did he give him advice on how to win, (about needing to do the spells with his mind) I expect he is going to really need that skill to kill voldemort.

Also so interesting about how closed minded Harry is towards snape. Hes seen snape as the crappest teacher in the world (ok lets face it hes not pleasant) and learns nothing from him thats why he hasn't progressed overly in dada this year. But by reading snapes written down instructions that he doesn't think are his, he can become the best student in the class. Interesting.
    I am sure there is something important about the 'unspoken' spells business; it was pushed quite hard early on, but then never followed up. Perhaps Snape while speaking the death curse, had immediately before performed a different silent charm?
    (Anyone remember from Goblet of Fire what colour beam comes out of a wand for the Avada Kadavra?)

ReputationRep:
    I think Dumbledore might have left useful stuff like bits of his memory behind and what about his portrait in the school I'm sure that should have somethng to say.
    Would it have though, since for the most part the portraits have not contributed much in terms of help, they just tend to go on about things in there day.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, but we don't exactly know a lot about the full extent of unbreakable vows yet. Although your/your friend's theory is possible I reckon it's more to do with he animosity between Snape and James- after all the seeds for this have been planted throughout all the books previously, e.g. Snape's worst memory

ReputationRep:
    green

Avada kedavra as far as I'm aware in the books has always been spoken out loud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldMan)
    I am sure there is something important about the 'unspoken' spells business; it was pushed quite hard early on, but then never followed up. Perhaps Snape while speaking the death curse, had immediately before performed a different silent charm?
    (Anyone remember from Goblet of Fire what colour beam comes out of a wand for the Avada Kadavra?)
    It is a green light if I remember correctly.

As for a sub-verbal spell, it is a possiblity, but since nothing would be able to protect from the Avada Kadavra curse, it would have been pointless and even if there had been something that could, Snape would have died if he had done something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Would it have though, since for the most part the portraits have not contributed much in terms of help, they just tend to go on about things in there day.
    they are imprints of the person. I think they do have a role. Phineus certainly has some pearls of wisdom to offer from time to time.

So RAB Regulus Black do you reckon?
    Has the locket been destroyed or is it in grimmauld place and has Mundungus Fletcher looted it?

ReputationRep:
    green

Avada kedavra as far as I'm aware in the books has always been spoken out loud.
    Indeed; but perhaps Snape replaced Dumbledore with a look alike before performing the Avada Kadavra

ReputationRep:
    they are imprints of the person. I think they do have a role. Phineus certainly has some pearls of wisdom to offer from time to time.

So RAB Regulus Black do you reckon?
    Has the locket been destroyed or is it in grimmauld place and has Mundungus Fletcher looted it?
    That is always a possiblity.

What did you think of the new minister of magic (I forget his name).

ReputationRep:
    I think he had told snape that if a point ever came where snape had to kill him that it was to be done. Snape did it hating himself for it and thats why he flips when harry calls him a coward.

We've had no information that a person can't swear two unbreakable vows at the same time have we?
    very good points viviki! The meeting between Snape, Narcissa and Bella was probably placed so aearly on in the book to allow the readers to have the terms of the unbreakable vow at the back of their minds, albeit subconciously. Although Snape killed Dumbledore, and Dumbledore on the surface fell foul of his own biggest mistake, that of seeing the best in the worst of people, you cant help but feel that if the greatest wizard could find the slightest reason to trust him, then maybe Snape should still be trusted?

To whoever posted a link in another HP thread on TSR last night to a leaked page in the American version of the book,before its official release thanks a lot! You did so without warning and so the ending was sadly spoiled. [/RANT]

on the whole, i didnt think HBP was the best book in the series - perhaps because my favourite character died! I agree with a previous poster who said something along the lines of there being something missing in the book's writing - I felt it was a lot more simply written, and although the twists in the book were great, i guessed a lot more in advance than i did with previous books, especially OotP.

But, with hindsight, Dumbledore had to die... as harry thought towards the end, those who cared about him the most, his parents, sirius and now dumbledore, had all died to protect him. For him to face Voldemort, he'd have to do it alone.

ReputationRep:
    RAB is probably the full name of someone weve met before. The locket if it was with the Black's may have been taken by Kreacher- I can't recall if he kept one in his bedroom although its a possibility...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so theres only one Dumbledore surely.

Why wasn't his brother at his funeral though or did I miss that.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got time to read the thread, I'm on my wayb out, so sorry if its been suggested, but R.A.B, Regulus *something beginning with A* Black?

ReputationRep:
    The barman from the Hog's head is his brother Aberforth He was at the funeral

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.