Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    very good points viviki! The meeting between Snape, Narcissa and Bella was probably placed so aearly on in the book to allow the readers to have the terms of the unbreakable vow at the back of their minds, albeit subconciously. Although Snape killed Dumbledore, and Dumbledore on the surface fell foul of his own biggest mistake, that of seeing the best in the worst of people, you cant help but feel that if the greatest wizard could find the slightest reason to trust him, then maybe Snape should still be trusted?

To whoever posted a link in another HP thread on TSR last night to a leaked page in the American version of the book,before its official release thanks a lot! You did so without warning and so the ending was sadly spoiled. [/RANT]

on the whole, i didnt think HBP was the best book in the series - perhaps because my favourite character died! I agree with a previous poster who said something along the lines of there being something missing in the book's writing - I felt it was a lot more simply written, and although the twists in the book were great, i guessed a lot more in advance than i did with previous books, especially OotP.

But, with hindsight, Dumbledore had to die... as harry thought towards the end, those who cared about him the most, his parents, sirius and now dumbledore, had all died to protect him. For him to face Voldemort, he'd have to do it alone.
    But he still has two people that are determined to go with him, Hermione and Ron, both of which he cares about a great deal, although he did end it with Ginny because of the danger it would put her in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I don't think so theres only one Dumbledore surely.

Why wasn't his brother at his funeral though or did I miss that.
    1) Polyjuice (also figured heavily this time)

2) Good point, no brother!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldMan)
    1) Polyjuice (also figured heavily this time)

2) Good point, no brother!
    But the unbreakable vow would have known the difference and there was no point at which the polyjuice could have been used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Haven't got time to read the thread, I'm on my wayb out, so sorry if its been suggested, but R.A.B, Regulus *something beginning with A* Black?
    who was that relative that left sirius money his name began with an A

But who went with regulus to retrieve the locket, you couldn't do it alone. Also Reg was a minor deatheater how would he now about the horocrux

ReputationRep:

But who went with regulus to retrieve the locket, you couldn't do it alone. Also Reg was a minor deatheater how would he now about the horocrux
    Is it possible that maybe Snape had helped him, if indeed he is a double agent on the side of good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)

on the whole, i didnt think HBP was the best book in the series - perhaps because my favourite character died! I agree with a previous poster who said something along the lines of there being something missing in the book's writing - I felt it was a lot more simply written, and although the twists in the book were great, i guessed a lot more in advance than i did with previous books, especially OotP.

But, with hindsight, Dumbledore had to die... as harry thought towards the end, those who cared about him the most, his parents, sirius and now dumbledore, had all died to protect him. For him to face Voldemort, he'd have to do it alone.
    I thought this was a great improvement on OoTP which I thought was very poor compared with the rest of the series; it seemed disjointed, poorly thought through, and -to my eyes - poorer characterisation than normal. The only reason one couldn't pre-guess OoTP was that there wasn't a coherent storyline.

Your last point though is a very good one; relying on love rather than physical support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    But he still has two people that are determined to go with him, Hermione and Ron, both of which he cares about a great deal, although he did end it with Ginny because of the danger it would put her in.

true, but i mean for voldemort to be actually defeated: ron and hermione swore to stick by him, but whenever and whatever 'duel' occurs between Harry and Voldemort, it will most probably be one-on-one for the prophecy to be ultimately fulfilled.

As soon as i saw R.A.B i thought Regulus Black...but would that be too obvious? How did Regulus Black die - is it specified in any of the books?

Also, I have a feeling that Dumbledore will no be completely gone for book 7. Surely he would have made provisions in case of his death, especially for Harry, since Harry has been guided, protected and saved by Dumbledore since he joined Hogwarts as well as before? Even Sirius left Grimmauld Place and Kreacher for Harry in his will...as the greatest wizard and as one who knows the whole prophecy, it would be extremely surprising if Dumbledore had not done something, even if it is in a piece of his advice spoken to Harry whilst alive, to help Harry in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a great improvement on OoTP which I thought was very poor compared with the rest of the series; it seemed disjointed, poorly thought through, and -to my eyes - poorer characterisation than normal. The only reason one couldn't pre-guess OoTP was that there wasn't a coherent storyline.

Your last point though is a very good one; relying on love rather than physical support.
    There was a coherent plot, although it was rather restrained in comparison to the rest of the series and in my, and others that I talked about it to, opinion read rather like an adpated screen play.

ReputationRep:

Well we don't know for definite he was only minor, all we know is what sirius says in OotP i think which is that, after a while he got scared and tried to opt out and got killed.........maybe he tried to 'opt' out because he learnt something more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    true, but i mean for voldemort to be actually defeated: ron and hermione swore to stick by him, but whenever and whatever 'duel' occurs between Harry and Voldemort, it will most probably be one-on-one for the prophecy to be ultimately fulfilled.

As soon as i saw R.A.B i thought Regulus Black...but would that be too obvious? How did Regulus Black die - is it specified in any of the books?

Also, I have a feeling that Dumbledore will no be completely gone for book 7. Surely he would have made provisions in case of his death, especially for Harry, since Harry has been guided, protected and saved by Dumbledore since he joined Hogwarts as well as before? Even Sirius left Grimmauld Place and Kreacher for Harry in his will...as the greatest wizard and as one who knows the whole prophecy, it would be extremely surprising if Dumbledore had not done something, even if it is in a piece of his advice spoken to Harry whilst alive, to help Harry in the future.
    I think the only possible sources of guidance for harry in my mind will be the portrait, although the usefulness of them are limited, and the pensieve. I would not be at all surprised if Dumbledore had saved the memory of what Snape said/did to earn his trust.

ReputationRep:
    But the unbreakable vow would have known the difference and there was no point at which the polyjuice could have been used.
    True, assuming that Draco's instruction was to kill Dumbldore - we are not told that. The killing may just have been part of Draco's own plan to clear the way for the real task he has been set! (mmm getting a bit fanciful here probably!)

ReputationRep:
    I would not be at all surprised if Dumbledore had saved the memory of what Snape said/did to earn his trust.
    Yes i think that has to come out in someway in the next book most likely from a pensieve/bottled memory i'd guess

ReputationRep:
    True, assuming that Draco's instruction was to kill Dumbldore - we are not told that. The killing may just have been part of Draco's own plan to clear the way for the real task he has been set! (mmm getting a bit fanciful here probably!)
    I don't think so, since I doubt Draco would have even thought of killing Dumbledore if he had the chance not to, since it was quite obvious that he was petrified and was only killing Dumbledore because of Voldemort's threat against his family.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only possible sources of guidance for harry in my mind will be the portrait, although the usefulness of them are limited, and the pensieve. I would not be at all surprised if Dumbledore had saved the memory of what Snape said/did to earn his trust.
    yes, i agree! Although Harry has practically vowed not to return if Hogwarts closed...how would he keep accessing Dumbledore's pensieve/portrait in his ex-office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventricles)
    Yes i think that has to come out in someway in the next book most likely from a pensieve/bottled memory i'd guess
    I am not entirely sure that the last book will be based largely around hogwarts though, as the others have, after all, Harry expressed a wish not to go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    yes, i agree! Although Harry has practically vowed not to return if Hogwarts closed...how would he keep accessing Dumbledore's pensieve/portrait in his ex-office?
    I would imagine that a will would have been drawn up by Dumbledore, especially after the injury he sustained when getting the black ring from the old Gaunt house.

ReputationRep:
    in the boat though didn't it have to be an underaged person because only one full aged person registered or something.

ReputationRep:
    I am not entirely sure that the last book will be based largely around hogwarts though, as the others have, after all, Harry expressed a wish not to go back.
    True, but just suddenly thought, do we think dumbledore has a house? We found out that snape did in this book so maybe dumbledore did too. No doubt if he did then not many people would know where it was and it would be very well protected but maybe there is some stuff there?Things he didnt leave at hogwarts, Harry may find a way there?........i think i may be clutching at straws now

ReputationRep:
    in the boat though didn't it have to be an underaged person because only one full aged person registered or something.
    That is very true indeed, although it will be anyone's guess who the other person might have been since we don't actually know precisely when the locket was taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventricles)
    True, but just suddenly thought, do we think dumbledore has a house? We found out that snape did in this book so maybe dumbledore did too. No doubt if he did then not many people would know where it was and it would be very well protected but maybe there is some stuff there?Things he didnt leave at hogwarts, Harry may find a way there?........i think i may be clutching at straws now
    I don't think that Dumbledore had a house, he lived int eh school and stayed at inns and the like when he travelled.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.