Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by viviki)
    in the boat though didn't it have to be an underaged person because only one full aged person registered or something.
    It could just have been a random muggle taken along for the ride, as all they had to do was be force fed the liquid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It could just have been a random muggle taken along for the ride, as all they had to do was be force fed the liquid
    But that would not be the cource of action someone who had defected from the death eaters would have taken since it involves using muggles (possibly under the imperious curse).

ReputationRep:
    hang on, this may sound really stupid, but what if R.A.B isnt one person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    hang on, this may sound really stupid, but what if R.A.B isnt one person?
    I was actually thinking that, it would make a lot of sense, although they would have to be people that had no connection to Dumbledore otherwise they would have told him about getting the locket.

ReputationRep:
    to ~nat~ - you said you got prior warning of the main twists, so surely that explains why you didnt think it was so good? i (sadly) knew in advance the twists too and there were loads of hints throughout the book that had i not known would have been really good but to me were just blaringly obvious and it made parts seem dull...considering that, and how much i enjoyed it anyway, i'd say this is definitely one of the best in the series, much better than the last.
    also, i personally doubt R.A.B is someone we have met before, and like the idea of another organisation or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    I was actually thinking that, it would make a lot of sense, although they would have to be people that had no connection to Dumbledore otherwise they would have told him about getting the locket.
    yes, and the fact that the boat could deifnitely hold more than one person. How could the locket (or whatever was guarded by the green potion) have been removed by one person without it doing serious harm to them before they could take it far?

ReputationRep:
    oh wait, just read the letter and saw it said "i would be dead..." or whatever...so maybe it is black
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by moomoo2k)
    oh wait, just read the letter and saw it said "i would be dead..." or whatever...so maybe it is black
    That backs up my point that the 2nd person would be someone inconsequential, like a muggle

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll wait until the film comes out. Hopefully Hermione will be old enough for some nude scenes by then.

ReputationRep:
    why would a muggle be invovled? it seems the clear choice would be regalus for various reasons...but it seems too obvious and unlikely something so important would have a simple answer

ReputationRep:
    rab and a muggle, underage wizard or squib surely

ReputationRep:
    to ~nat~ - you said you got prior warning of the main twists, so surely that explains why you didnt think it was so good? i (sadly) knew in advance the twists too and there were loads of hints throughout the book that had i not known would have been really good but to me were just blaringly obvious and it made parts seem dull...considering that, and how much i enjoyed it anyway, i'd say this is definitely one of the best in the series, much better than the last.
    hmm i thought so, but i was definitely just as gripped, perhaps even more intrigued, as to how the ending that was revealed was actually reached! I loved the twists in the book, dont get me wrong... but i thought that there was too much similarity over familiar ground, and the practical overhaul/recap of much of the story so far at the beginning with the Prime Minister - other than to introduce the new Minister for Magic, it was a bit frustrating!
    I think HBP was more of a bridge to the final ending...it was a necessary piece of the jigsaw, especially Voldemort's background, which was brilliant in that it gave us further insight. But, for me, it was still dull in parts, regardless of knowing the ending in advance or not.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    why would a muggle be invovled? it seems the clear choice would be regalus for various reasons...but it seems too obvious and unlikely something so important would have a simple answer
    Well, the note says "I, which implies that there's only one person who wrote the note that Voldemort would know. And equally the 2nd person wouldn't be able to try to claim credit when the note is being written.

It doesn't have to be a muggle, but it would need to be someone with little magical power.

ReputationRep:
    each to his/her own na;, and i dont really understand why everyone is assuming you need two people to get this horcrux thing...voldemort surely could have done it alone? also, im intrigued by the line "the most powerful wizard harry had ever met, or ever would meet" although i don't know why
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    each to his/her own na;, and i dont really understand why everyone is assuming you need two people to get this horcrux thing...voldemort surely could have done it alone? also, im intrigued by the line "the most powerful wizard harry had ever met, or ever would meet" although i don't know why
    Voldemort couldn't die though while he had his other horcruxes. So he wouldn't have needed help. Also, since he set the traps he might've made it so that his blood made it easier to get it or waved his magic wand, said "abracadabra" or something.

ReputationRep:
    Or an underage student..?

I Loved the book, I felt it was definately better Than OOTP which was a bit disjointed for my liking. I woulod never have pegged Snaps as the HBP rurely because I always though of him in a pure bloo due his death eater/ alliance with Malfoys who we know love the pure bloods. Suprised he was proud of this, as it seems spmething he now hides.
    Dumbledores Will, Now that will be interesting.
    I cant work out the snape thing, when reading it I got the overall impression he was evil, but reading on here I can see that there may be other reasons. I mean he exploed when harry called hima coward. But then for ex. superfying Flitwick to get rid of Hermoine and Luna seemed like a pre-umpted plan to get them out of the way and to go help out.
    If R.A.B Is Regulus Black Who was killed by Death eaters apparently (Im sure its mentioned in HBP) then maybe the locket is still in presence, even in Grimald place.
    What now for the order? Dumbledore is gone, and snape is well indisposed? presumably with Draco.. Has he gone to the dark lord?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Maybe it was Aunt Petunia!

ReputationRep:
    I Loved it... a fantastic book. Best yet i think.

I just... i just still cant believe that Dumbledore's death was so... well, easy i guess I thought he'd go out with a real bang, not pleading for his life like that. It was tragic! But i think she gave him a good send off. The funeral was

I'm still reeling at the ending too! So he wont be back at Hogwarts next year... that means that next book won't include Ron or Hermione as much.. or anyone really because he'll be going it alone. I'm still not sure i like that idea though :s hmmmm.

Oh yeah, and Ginny and Harry... its so sweet... but again, tragic ending.

I'm thinking about Snape though. Was Dumbledore wrong in trusting him? Well the evidence says he was, but why did he believe him. Surely Dumbledore wouldnt have fallen for a sob story.

Oh well... great book though. Couldnt drag myself away!

ReputationRep:
    Well, that was certainly...interesting.

(Original post by Acaila)
    Too much of a love in I think At times it felt more like fanfic than HP.
    I agree. I thought at the time that maybe that feeling of detatchment from the previous books was because I was exhausted or because I've been reading a lot of fanfiction lately but it appears everyone else seems to have noticed an altered style as well.

For starters, normally in the books there is only a very short introduction before Harry is introduced, and then the story follows him to the end. This time we had the MoM/PM scene and then the meeting at Snape's house.
    A lot of the events in the book seemed very blunt and blatent and it all just seemed to feel very different to the normal JK-flow. For example, Snape getting the teaching post for DADA and then hardly anything was made of it. Overall, in fact, there was very little 'in-lesson' action at all, bar a couple of Potions classes to set Harry's relationship with the HBP book. All the relationships (romantic) as well again made me feel it was much more of a fanfic than the real thing.
    There was a surprising lack in actual Voldemort-happenings really. Without Harry's connections -and it seemed very odd not to have any more mind/scar connections or occlumency-related bits really.
    I found a lot of the Harry-Dumbledore interactions odd too- for example at the very start when he first turned up and sat and told the Dursleys they'd never cared about Harry etc etc- again just didn't seem to ring out.

More and more things just keep springing to mind. Maybe by the time I've read it over a few times it'll read more smoothly.

One thing that was very JK was her use of the cupboard. Bringing back the vanishing cabinet and the cupboard Harry had hidden in...clever, as always.

The last book is going to have an awful lot to cover though.
    Considering Potter is intending to make only a short trip to the Dursleys- that is going to need to be very revealing. We still have to find out what Petunia knows and how, and about the whole 'Remember my last' Dumbledore thing.

I think (well this is partly my friends theory) that Dumbledore said to Snape that he had to prove he was sorry. So I think that they made an unbreakable vow. I think that the unbreakable vow was to protect Harry or to kill Voldemort (or possibly both) and thats why Snape hates him so much.
    Yep, good idea. Most likely true.

Why wasn't his brother at his funeral though or did I miss that.
    Someone has already clarified this but then someone else obviously missed it - his brother was there, but Harry only identified him as the barman from the Hog's Head.

(Original post by Juno)
    It doesn't have to be a muggle, but it would need to be someone with little magical power.
    Or perhaps a non-human?

---

I do like the Regulus Black theory though. Makes interesting thinking.

---

As for Snape, as already suggested by a number of you, I came to the conclusion that it was more likely that Dumbledore had Snape kill him to prevent Malfoy either having to do it (and being corrupted) or actively refusing and thus being killed.

---

There's a lot more I will be wanting to say, but my sister's just come in so time for some post-book discussion for us!

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Acaila:
    Too much of a love in I think
    Yeah... not sure about all the love stuff. I thought Harry and Ginny went well together and it was quite romantic how he just kissed her... but I felt slightly pissed off at him at the end for leaving her. ron and Hermoine was always going to happen, but at the end it was still quite ambiguous as to just what the stuation was with them. And as for Tonks and Lupin... random or what? But hey... it was a surprise!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.