Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last book is defeinately going to be Harry searching for the Horcruxes.. but without DD Im not sure how hes going to do it.

ReputationRep:
    you think dumbledore's "severus...please" was asking him to kill him? that is a good idea...i reckon snape will, somehow, come good in the end

ReputationRep:
    as for this love thing...a stupid, adolescent theme has surfaced since GoF...in that one it was anger, in the last one it was anger and love/crushes and more swearing (how many times does harry swear under his breath!) and in this it was mainly love...its a bit annoying, but just rowling trying to convey to the readers that harry and pals are normal...still, poor ron - first kiss at 16/17!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't that impressed-but i will withold final judgement and re-read it first.
    -Bit predictable-it got blatent what malfoy was trying to do and what would happen with snape
    -as soon as dumbledore x gave that vital info it was obvious he was going to die-plus the fact their character was lagging on and well it had to stop-he had to die in this book to prequel the true horrors in the next
    -was impressed by ending-this needed to happen because hogwarts scene was getting tedious and boring and as ron mentioned you were as safe there as anywhere else-to revive the story the scene had to get bigger
    -harry blatently is the last living remnant of voldy's soul so will most likely die unless some whole magical thingymebob happens and his death will follow hermys and rons or one of their deaths and the severe injury/incapacity of the other
    -the first chapter was good, eye-opening, well written but pointless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    For starters, normally in the books there is only a very short introduction before Harry is introduced, and then the story follows him to the end. This time we had the MoM/PM scene and then the meeting at Snape's house.
    A lot of the events in the book seemed very blunt and blatent and it all just seemed to feel very different to the normal JK-flow. For example, Snape getting the teaching post for DADA and then hardly anything was made of it. Overall, in fact, there was very little 'in-lesson' action at all, bar a couple of Potions classes to set Harry's relationship with the HBP book. All the relationships (romantic) as well again made me feel it was much more of a fanfic than the real thing.
    Yes! I thought that, especially with all the quite sudden romances... its not necessarily a bad thing, but i just know that there were too many sudden steers in direction in the book, skimming/skipping over details.

There was a surprising lack in actual Voldemort-happenings really. Without Harry's connections -and it seemed very odd not to have any more mind/scar connections or occlumency-related bits really.
    yes, where was he? We only 'saw' Voldemort thorugh the Pensieve memories, and that was as Tom Riddle. By tracing Tom Riddle's history through Harry and Dumbledore's actions and words, and seeing his development into Lord Voldemort, maybe it was to make the impact of his presumable presence in the final book more powerful.

ReputationRep:
    back to my coming good in the end thing, you might say "but he killed dumbledore" but it seems that he was pretty much dead anyway and if not the four death eaters would have done it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Last book is defeinately going to be Harry searching for the Horcruxes.. but without DD Im not sure how hes going to do it.
    harry's the last-dumbledore said soul can be placed in living thing. i hope harry dies for the sake of the story because its going to take a heck of a lot of excellent writing for him to be alive at the end.
    Ginny has to go to-she's a spare either that or she should be left lagging at the end.

ReputationRep:
    as for harry being one of the horcruxes, although a good idea, i highyl doubt it because firstly, to destroy that, harry would die, and the prophecy said how one would kill the other, not both would die. maybe can destroy just the soul bit?well, unlikely.
    secondly, dumbledore said how putting it in a snake was dangerous because the snake would be aware...so im sure harry would have been too...and surely dumbledore would have realised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomoo2k)
    as for harry being one of the horcruxes, although a good idea, i highyl doubt it because firstly, to destroy that, harry would die, and the prophecy said how one would kill the other, not both would die. maybe can destroy just the soul bit?well, unlikely.
    secondly, dumbledore said how putting it in a snake was dangerous because the snake would be aware...so im sure harry would have been too...and surely dumbledore would have realised?
    yes but you saw howe much the prophecy was doubted-the prophecy is more of a guideline now and erm seering scar pains, mind stuff and this whole empathy thing=i think there's enough evidence. anyway i think he should die.

ReputationRep:
    i found this book quite fustrating really, and to be honest a little bit disapointing. I agree with most commets on here-what the hell was the first chapter about?! Whereas with the other books i would read them start to finish without stopping for as long at it would take, (ordering food to my room and sprinting to the toilet so i could finish reading), with this book i found myself getting bored and restless, i even went out to see a friend for a couple of hours in between!!!

The mystry covering Malfoy throughout the book was really fustrating as nothing more was ever reveiled to make you more excited about it. Even Ron and Hermoine would only say that Harry may be mistaken once or twice and then passed it over!

All the romance got abit annoying in the even, seemed over done in my opinion. To begin with i though that Harry had drunk a Love potion given to him by Ginny, it was THAT random (in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    I haven't got mine yet! I can't even read it until wednesday because I am working 10 hrs a day!
    I lied. I finished it. My postman arrived at 6:30am with my copy and I read most of it before going to work and then the rest when I came home.

I am still kindda in shock so at present all I can say is..

Wait Until I get my hands on that scum of a Half Blood Prince! (and Malfoy)

(Oh and it looks like Harry learnt something from Snape after all)

ReputationRep:
    that has been explained many times tho, he just transferred powers to him...seriously, you're wrong, it would have been too obvious, dumbledore surely would have realised and the prophecy is expected to be completely true...i noticed that trelawny got something right without going into a weird trance by the way (about dumbledore dying)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~the_one~)
    All the romance got abit annoying in the even, seemed over done in my opinion. To begin with i though that Harry had drunk a Love potion given to him by Ginny, it was THAT random (in my opinion).
    Well i didnt think it was random... i saw that coming from OOTP to be honest. And besides... he was infatuated with her through the entire book. I think it was a bit poncy that he had to leave her "for her own protection" though. Not a teenage thing to do or say.

I thought Lavender and Ron was REALLY random!!! Anyone agree???
    It was quite realistic in that it shows how teenage boys will snog a wall if it gives them the come-on, but it was still the most unlikely pairing EVER.

By the way, is it me or was the word snogging used a lot?

ReputationRep:
    what about tonks and lupin?!

ReputationRep:
    Well i didnt think it was random... i saw that coming from OOTP to be honest. And besides... he was infatuated with her through the entire book. I think it was a bit poncy that he had to leave her "for her own protection" though. Not a teenage thing to do or say.
    You saw it coming from OoTP?? But he liked Cho in that book, i had no signs at all that he liked Ginny (oo maybe thats just me!). I think the "own protection" thing, is classic Harry-hes not really ment to act like a teenager, he alway acts all noble and above his years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~the_one~)
    You saw it coming from OoTP?? But he liked Cho in that book, i had no signs at all that he liked Ginny (oo maybe thats just me!). I think the "own protection" thing, is classic Harry-hes not really ment to act like a teenager, he alway acts all noble and above his years.
    Yeah in OOTP Ginny started being a lot more vocal around him etc... and there were more mentions of her randomly for no real relevant reason... i don't know, but I was expecting that one. I think a lot of people were too though because ts been a popular theory on fansites.

And yeah i guess it is classic harry, but it still seemed to me like something more from a gritty black and white movie rather than the Harry Potter i was expecting. Ah welll.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is they said Horcruxes were created by killing another, so the only way harry would be it if It was from the side-effects of Voldy killing his parents, but then placing your soul into items seems a premeditated act on voldys part so why would he do it to Harry? Maybe He is the last one, and in a great twist, Lord Voldermort doesnt know he is.

ReputationRep:
    Lavender has always liked ron didn't she go with him to the ball in gof

ReputationRep:
    No he went with Padma Patil. And I dont think she has... she and Parvati always giggled or scowled at him... im positive there was no inkling that she fancied him before this book. In fact, I thought that she and Parvati were more into Harry than Ron...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in OOTP Ginny started being a lot more vocal around him etc
    I noticed that, but i thought that it ment they were getting normal, like she had finally gotten over Harry, and become one of the gang!

What do think could happen in book 7?? Grrr i cant wait another 2 years!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.