Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    :mad: I've just come back from THE most frustrating couple of hours in the pub!! My friend was only at the bit just before Ron gets poisoned!! I had so much I wanted to talk about but I couldn't say anything!!

I really enjoyed that one, I think it might be my new favourite, all the things I want to happen happened (Quidditch captain, Snape as DADA teacher, getting together with Ginny, Dumbledore dying) and Harry was much less annoying!!

I guess book 7 is going to be completely different then, whole new format etc, its gonna have to be pretty huge to fit everything in as well (4 horcruxes to find and Voldemort to defeat) Can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~the_one~)
    What do think could happen in book 7?? Grrr i cant wait another 2 years!
    I know... 2 years I could cry. Book 7 will HAVE to be MASSIVE to cover all the loose ends! There are so many unimportant but curious little questions niggling at me. I was convinced that we'd find out Lily and James' occupations in this book, but we didnt... its stuff like that that she'll have to stick in the last book and theres so many little stones left unturned that its going to be the biggest book yet. Is got to be.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon 2 years is optimistic, I wouldn't be surprised if it was much longer :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepooos)
    -harry blatently is the last living remnant of voldy's soul
    Yes, well my first thought upon initially reading about the Horcruxes was that Harry was one (in part). -I was thinking that would work with the prophecy and how him and Voldemort were connected in the way they were.
    As I read on I became less certain- because supposedly Voldemort had been intending to kill Harry to make the Horcruxe rather than turning him into it...

(ah...have been more posts since I started the above- my thoughts are on similar lines-ish to this-> )
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Thing is they said Horcruxes were created by killing another, so the only way harry would be it if It was from the side-effects of Voldy killing his parents, but then placing your soul into items seems a premeditated act on voldys part so why would he do it to Harry? Maybe He is the last one, and in a great twist, Lord Voldermort doesnt know he is.
    The thing I'd disagree with here would be the Lord Voldemort not knowing. I'm not saying he does know - but because he wanted to have a specific number of Horcruxes, if one was created at Godrics Hollow that night he would surely either know to count it in the 7 or not know and want to make another if you get what I mean?!

---

(Original post by moomoo2k)
    i noticed that trelawny got something right without going into a weird trance by the way (about dumbledore dying)
    The lightening tower or whatever she said (>same name as the Chapter title).

---

I was wondering whether Dumbledore must have immediately known the pendant they got out was not a Horcruxe. - If you think about it, he told us the first Horcruxe he disabled cost him his hand (although we never did get the proper explanation for it) so surely he would have expected some kind of reaction from the amulet as well? Though I suppose he may have known but there wasn't really appropriate moment to bring it up...and then he was dead.

---

I'm still finding it odd that this was this official book. I wonder if I'd abstained from fanfiction before reading it whether I would still have felt it seemed so out-of-sorts from the rest of the series.

ReputationRep:
    to sum it up it was a bit crap-i can see what jk was trying to do by moving things on a bit but it was just number two all over again-pointless and forgetable

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I am out of shock (and onion rings - perfect for HP reading)

My take on HBP. I believe that....

The unbreakable vow was discussed with Dumbledore. Snape knew one day he would have to prove himself to Death Eaters weren't going to believe Voldie trusting him forever. It was decided that should Snape have to make that sort of commitment he could. As the Vow, we made before school term, Snape was able to warn Dumbledore about Malfoy and the vow.

Dumbledore knowing he couldn't put Malfoy through killing him (or believe he couldn't) commanded that Snape kill him when the time was right. He admitted he was getting too old, slow etc.

As a result, Dumbledore began passing everything Harry would need for his future task, ultimatly how to kill Voldie. By telling him to destory Voldie souls, it will leave Voldie unprotected(ish) and stop him returning again.

Dumbledore didn't expected Malfoy to get the cupboard fix as soon as he did. And was planning to explain to Harry the agreement between Snape and himself but of course died beforehand. Maybe he prayed that Harry would consult the protrait of himself before setting out on his "quest" and discover the truth but Harry won't believe Dumbledore as he is too trusting and he will be right. Snape is evil.

Ok that sucks a little.

Anyway, the movie version of this book is going to suck big time! Everyone is just going to be running around the school kissing each other then Dumbledore dies..end of film.

Either that or they roll 6 and 7 into one.

Also, they are going to hit a massive problem.

4th film - filmed 2004/5
    5th film - 2005/6
    6th film - 2006/7
    7th film - 2007/8

Do you think JKR really will have finished the book by 2007 so they can publish it and then get a script together + actors and film it. I doubt it!

ReputationRep:
    Well, according to the imdb, Phoenix isn't coming out till 2007, so that gives a bit more leeway. But if they keep timing up like this, they're going to have to change the actors. I must admit, I found it very hard to see a lot of the actors in HBP...Tom Felton could do it, and I think Rupert Grint would be ok, but not sure about the others...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by absentmindedone)
    Well, according to the imdb, Phoenix isn't coming out till 2007, so that gives a bit more leeway. But if they keep timing up like this, they're going to have to change the actors. I must admit, I found it very hard to see a lot of the actors in HBP...Tom Felton could do it, and I think Rupert Grint would be ok, but not sure about the others...
    oh blish bosh to that Actors Smackors, the younger kids have grown up know them as Harry, Ron and Hermione and they won't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Ok guys, it's almost time for the release of Harry Potter and the Half Blooded Prince. Please read the announcement of this before posting any discussions on this topic. If anyone wishes to suggest any changes to this arrangement, please PM me on your ideas.
    I've been gone for too long, what announcment is that?

Hopefully, I'll be back to posting... been really busy in school For example, I have an exam tomorrow, haven't read my books, instead, I read HBP. LOL. I bought mine at exactly 2:46 pm (Philippines time)

ReputationRep:
    its don't post book 6 stuff in this thread. Theres a special spoiler thread for that.

ReputationRep:
    ...died
    I hope Hogwarts remains for the future!

I just cant belive ... died! Dang that Half Blood Prince!

ReputationRep:
    -sobs. I hate to know that Dumbledore's dead!! AND I WANT TO KILL SNAPE AND CHOP HIM UP INTO BITS NOW!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    What do you reckon R.A.B stood for?
    Or who do you think it is?

My immediate reaction was:
    Real Albus Dumbledore..

but...maybe not.

Maybe introduction for the new character for book 7?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    well its RAB so cnt be Dumbledore at end anyway?
    i was disappointed with this book wasnt any real storyline dunno how she managed to fill 600 pages up.
    however i still loved it and hope tht harry eventually kills snape.

i share your hatred...lets track him down,and give him a slow painful death

no clue...anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    well its RAB so cnt be Dumbledore at end anyway?
    i was disappointed with this book wasnt any real storyline dunno how she managed to fill 600 pages up.
    however i still loved it and hope tht harry eventually kills snape.
    yeah jk was creating more loose ends.
    i think dumbledore knew snape had to kill him or knew that either him or snape had to die and when he pleaded with snape at the end it was more for snape's sake for what he was about to do.
    i think this because of the barrier put on the astromony tower that only let certain people through-this was placed there by dumbledore-then lupin said later how they were suddenly able to get through-well that was because its caster had died.
    harry seems to be turning out more and more like voldermort-wanting to do things on his own, collecting ornaments-there is a very thin line between them both being as dumbledore mentioned the purity of his heart and whole soul and what i believe to be good friends who are going to stop him having to do this on his own.

ReputationRep:
    jk was creating more loose ends.
    i think dumbledore knew snape had to kill him or knew that either him or snape had to die and when he pleaded with snape at the end it was more for snape's sake for what he was about to do. snape is still gd and is not a death eater at all and in the next book we'll find out why.
    i think this because of the barrier put on the astromony tower that only let certain people through-this was placed there by dumbledore-then lupin said later how they were suddenly able to get through-well that was because its caster had died.
    harry seems to be turning out more and more like voldermort-wanting to do things on his own, collecting ornaments-there is a very thin line between them both being as dumbledore mentioned the purity of his heart and whole soul and what i believe to be good friends who are going to stop him having to do this on his own.

ReputationRep:
    nah hogwarts is over now well i hope so anyway-the three have outgrown it-going back would just be wrong for them-all three are leaving anyway.
    it was about time dumbledore died, it was obvious that malfoy was trying to kill him, then it became obvious that snape would have to do it because of the vow and as soon as dumbledore told harry about the horcruxes well what more info did he need? his usefulness had expired but it was saddening to see him go but it had to happen-besides dumbledore knew it was going to happen and snape did it quickly so as to actually do it without changing his mind.
    Edit-Snape is gooooooooooodddd!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    That was horrible good book and all, but how could she do that

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.