Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    btw, I like your new avatar, didn't realise it was you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Does anyone else think that JK has been reading far too many fanfics and been looking at too many websites?????? She's got the ships - Lupin and Tonks, Harry and Ginny, Ron and Hermione are blossoming. She's got the random storylines which don't appear to make any sense, like the horcruxes. And now she's got harry going off and not returning to Hogwarts - If you ask me, it sounds waaaay too 'out-there' for it to be believeable. The whole point of the Harry Potter books was to bring a magical unreal world, but also make it believeable to us ('muggles') but all this inferi, horcruxes, and apparating to a small cave somewhere is too crazy..............does anyone agree with me???

I still think that Ron & Hermione are being sidelined far too much. Their story line has developed into a bit-part soap opera, rather than confidantes and stooges of Harry.

o0o, and cheers Steph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    LV talks particularly about three Death Eaters
    --one who I fear has left my service forever... (we previously assumed Snape)
    --one who has betrayed too many of his fellows (Karkaroff)
    --my most faithul DE in Hogwarts (we assumed Crouch Jr. but now it looks liek Snape...)
    So who then is Number 1?
    Presumably R.A.B, whoever that is.

I can't help feel that there is more than what meets the eye about DD's death...personally I don't think that he is gone forever, his patronus is a phoenix, important symbolism there. i also think that Harry will learn the true reasons behind al of SS's actions after he has vanquished Voldemort, so that he can do so without fearing who SS is actually working for.
    Ah yes, but DD's portrait is now in the office, which indicates that he is actually and irreversably dead. The phoenix symbolism is interesting, however, maybe he won't physically return, but there's something in that...

Also, we now need to start thinking about the seven horcruxes;

- Gaunt's ring (destroyed)
    - Riddle's diary (destroyed)
    - Slytherin's locket (at Grimmauld Place?)
    - Hufflepuff's cup
    - Something belonging to Gryffindor (Sword, Sorting Hat?)
    - Something belonging to Ravenclaw (no idea)
    - The snake

ReputationRep:
    Just before DD is killed Draco tells DD that he is at his mercy, being wandless and apparently alone. However, DD replies saying that it is Draco in fact who is at his mercy. (This is a few pages before SS's Avada Kedavra). I distinctly get the feeling that perhaps DD sacrificed himself for Draco. He knew that after drinking the potion in the cave that he was not going to survive long - "Lord Voldemort would not want to immediately kill the person who got this far..." But he also knew that as bad as Draco was, that he was not a killer, hence his willingness to protect Malfoy and his family if they were willing to turn to "the right side." Yet if the murder was not cmmitted Draco would surely be killed by LV. Since he knew he was going to die anyway as a result of the potion, perhaps he felt that he should make the sacrifice and save an 'innocent' life - hence he states that Draco is at his mercy. Furthermore if Draco was to be killed then Snape would break his Unbreakable Vow and consqequently die - another life lost. And why do we openly assume that Snape wished to kill DD? I know it seems absurd but perhaps the reason why DD is pleading with him is not because he wants his life saved - he knows that he will die after the potion, its only a matter of time - but because he doesn't want Snape to kill DRACO, who is standing next to him? I just can't understand that Snape has been faking for so long...if he is LV's right hand man, then doesn't that throw into diarray our understanding of the graveyard scene in GoF?
    LV talks particularly about three Death Eaters
    --one who I fear has left my service forever... (we previously assumed Snape)
    --one who has betrayed too many of his fellows (Karkaroff)
    --my most faithul DE in Hogwarts (we assumed Crouch Jr. but now it looks liek Snape...)
    So who then is Number 1?
    I can't help feel that there is more than what meets the eye about DD's death...personally I don't think that he is gone forever, his patronus is a phoenix, important symbolism there. i also think that Harry will learn the true reasons behind al of SS's actions after he has vanquished Voldemort, so that he can do so without fearing who SS is actually working for.
    That's a really, really interesting theory...infact it would make quite a great deal of sense. There has to be a reason why Dumbledore even right at the very end had said he trusted Snape so much. Also the fact that he showed no surprise or panic when Harry told him about his suspicions sorrounding Snape and Malfoy. Also when Dumbledore was talking to Malfoy before Snape arrived and killed him he appeared to know everything about Malfoy's position. Which would suggest that Snape had been telling Dumbledore everything. However when Snape looked at Dumbledore before performing the avada kedavra curse, it said he had a look of revulsion in his eyes, as if he detested Albus. Although no sign of fear was shown by Dumbledore, but perhaps this was because he barely had time?

Hmmm I'm not sure.....

I'd like to believe that this was somehow all part of Dumbledore's plan, I mean he's the only one Voldemort was ever afraid of and he didn't even accio his wand back after Malfoy disarmed him?!

It's right about Snape dying if he had broken the vow with Malfoy's mother too which would be another reason...hmmm

Gosh, I cried SO much when he died! Almost got tears on the book! lol!

I loved all the romance but I'm so sad Harry split with Ginny, they were PERFECT! Hopefully he will have a rethink for the next book...I'm loving all the Ron/Hermione shipping though!

Love was def in the air in this book :love:

Wow....I think this is possibly my fave HP book so far....I'm so sad that Dumbledore died but I was half-expecting it, I suppose!

The next book will be a real cracker! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Regulus too, he died when Voldemort was first powerful (well that was the impression I got) He was killed for trying to back when he realised he was in too deep. But I also got the impression that the locket was taken quite a while ago as well, so it does kinda fit. Is it possible that he was killed for taking the locket?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    who cried like a baby when he died?

i'm still sniffling...geez,how could JKR do that??
    Me :mad: I hate her. A lot. He was the *only* character I liked :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jiggaman7]well its RAB so cnt be Dumbledore at end anyway?
    [QUOTE]

that's why i said maybe not! I realised it B not D so I asked everyone what they thought!! lol

And isn't Regulus Black dead? Why would he do something like destroying Voldie's horcrux when he is not in the best light of sirius' opinion?
    And only dumbledore was clever enough to realise that voldie had horcruxes in mind? i personally think it's a new character. And I also think Dumbledore will come back..the portraits seem to be sort of semi alive with the same brain as the person..well..hopefully he'll come back as Harry's not as clever as him!!
    I felt really sad when dumbledore whispered: "Severus..."
    That was really really sad..

ReputationRep:
    only another 2-3 year wait for the last part.

haha oh god thats such a long time. ill be OLD by then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Yes, well my first thought upon initially reading about the Horcruxes was that Harry was one (in part). -I was thinking that would work with the prophecy and how him and Voldemort were connected in the way they were.
    As I read on I became less certain- because supposedly Voldemort had been intending to kill Harry to make the Horcruxe rather than turning him into it...

(ah...have been more posts since I started the above- my thoughts are on similar lines-ish to this-> )

The thing I'd disagree with here would be the Lord Voldemort not knowing. I'm not saying he does know - but because he wanted to have a specific number of Horcruxes, if one was created at Godrics Hollow that night he would surely either know to count it in the 7 or not know and want to make another if you get what I mean?!

---

The lightening tower or whatever she said (>same name as the Chapter title).

---

I was wondering whether Dumbledore must have immediately known the pendant they got out was not a Horcruxe. - If you think about it, he told us the first Horcruxe he disabled cost him his hand (although we never did get the proper explanation for it) so surely he would have expected some kind of reaction from the amulet as well? Though I suppose he may have known but there wasn't really appropriate moment to bring it up...and then he was dead.

---

I'm still finding it odd that this was this official book. I wonder if I'd abstained from fanfiction before reading it whether I would still have felt it seemed so out-of-sorts from the rest of the series.
    Why would Voldemort intentionally create a horcrux of Harry?

He was trying to kill the one he considered equal to him, not his parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    only another 2-3 year wait for the last part.

haha oh god thats such a long time. ill be OLD by then!
    *glares* not that old!!

I reckon saying two years is very optimistic, its got to be huge to fit everything that still needs to happen in, and I don't think she'll have got much done so far :mad: I'm so impatient!

ReputationRep:
    hehe not so old i guess!

ok then, re-estimate - maybe 3-4 years!

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be really lovely and a great display of true friendship if in book 7, Hermione and Ron joined Harry in leaving Hogwarts to help him on his misson. I think he will definitely need help. He probably doesn't even realise himself just exactly how much Dumbledore has supported him, and I don't think he could manage it completely alone no matter how much he might think he could....also if Ron and Hermione did this it would give a fabulous opportunity for their relationship to develop

I also hope that Ginny will stay with Harry but I don't think Mrs Weasley would let her follow him in to something dangerous. Maybe she wouldn't even let Ron though I'm not sure she can stop him since he will be 17?

Hagrid and the Order have gotta help too I reckon!

How tear jerking was it when Harry was crying at the funeral!!! and when Scrimegour (forgot the spelling!) followed him to question him about what him and Dumbledore were doing and he said the thing about Dumbledore never being gone as long as people in Hogwarts were loyal to him, and that he was Dumbledore's man through and through

*wipes tears away*

Can't believe that scan spoiler was accurate! :eek: Never saw that one coming!

However before I read it I went to the back page to see how many pages it had and saw the words "Dumbledore's death" so kind of ruined it for myself :rolleyes: ....didn't expect it to happen that way though!

ReputationRep:
    hehe not so old i guess!

Argh I hope not!!!! Desperate to find out what happens next!!!! :eek:

Agreed that the book was a bit shippery fan fic-ish! I did like it though

ReputationRep:
    Ron and Herminone will HAVE to go with Harry, it'd be ever so dull if he was just running round on his own. I would love Ginny to go too, I was so gutted when Harry said they had to finish it (fingers crossed for a reconciliation at the end of book 7) but there isn't a chance in hell she'd be allowed!!

ReputationRep:
    So now dumbledore is a portrait, can he still help harry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Ron and Herminone will HAVE to go with Harry, it'd be ever so dull if he was just running round on his own. I would love Ginny to go too, I was so gutted when Harry said they had to finish it (fingers crossed for a reconciliation at the end of book 7) but there isn't a chance in hell she'd be allowed!!
    Yeah I agree, I don't think JKR would be popular if she killed Dumbledore, and then split Harry up from his friends!

Especially on Hermione's part though it shows true loyalty...sacrificing her studies to help him! How cute was the final paragraph?! :love:

"But in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione"

:love: HOW CUTE!!!

Sorry, I'm just in disbelief at this book! lol!

If Ginny and Harry don't end up a couple I will be sooo upset!!!!

Btw did anyone else think Ginny had given Harry a love potion thing? Every time he went near her he smelt nice things... :eek: !! Although I thought all along that he fancied her, and she him! Interesting though, just a pondering..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sash37uk)
    So now dumbledore is a portrait, can he still help harry?
    Hmm...interesting point....I think perhaps he could, the Headmasters on the walls certainly seemed to be able to know what was going on, and to make their own comments and opinions on it...so it's possible I would suppose! I hope so anyway, the thought of Dumbledore just being completely gone makes me sooo sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shortysally)
    That's a really, really interesting theory...infact it would make quite a great deal of sense. There has to be a reason why Dumbledore even right at the very end had said he trusted Snape so much. Also the fact that he showed no surprise or panic when Harry told him about his suspicions sorrounding Snape and Malfoy. Also when Dumbledore was talking to Malfoy before Snape arrived and killed him he appeared to know everything about Malfoy's position. Which would suggest that Snape had been telling Dumbledore everything. However when Snape looked at Dumbledore before performing the avada kedavra curse, it said he had a look of revulsion in his eyes, as if he detested Albus. Although no sign of fear was shown by Dumbledore, but perhaps this was because he barely had time?

Hmmm I'm not sure.....

I'd like to believe that this was somehow all part of Dumbledore's plan, I mean he's the only one Voldemort was ever afraid of and he didn't even accio his wand back after Malfoy disarmed him?!

It's right about Snape dying if he had broken the vow with Malfoy's mother too which would be another reason...hmmm

Gosh, I cried SO much when he died! Almost got tears on the book! lol!

I loved all the romance but I'm so sad Harry split with Ginny, they were PERFECT! Hopefully he will have a rethink for the next book...I'm loving all the Ron/Hermione shipping though!

Love was def in the air in this book

Wow....I think this is possibly my fave HP book so far....I'm so sad that Dumbledore died but I was half-expecting it, I suppose!

The next book will be a real cracker!
    Perhaps Snape was feeling revulsion at having to murder Dumbledore to save himself...ie he was repulsed at himself rather than the person before him...he was having to kill someone purw and innocent to save himself (so as not to dieby breaking the Unbreakable Vow)... Revulsion is a weird word...also it might help to explain Snape's anger and GUILT when Harry calls him coward. Personally I think this is the best book of the lot...makes us ask ourselves many poring questions.
    hehe not so old i guess!

I'll have finished uni by then...wow its a long time...

ReputationRep:
    i bet snape and dumbledore made an unbreakable vow and that's why dumbledore trusted him so much...and it was probably something like he'll promise to do whatever he (Dumbledore) tells him (Snape) i.e. kill me when i want you to...or something...i'm certain snape is gonna be good...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.