Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Does anyone else think that JK has been reading far too many fanfics and been looking at too many websites?????? She's got the ships - Lupin and Tonks, Harry and Ginny, Ron and Hermione are blossoming. She's got the random storylines which don't appear to make any sense, like the horcruxes. And now she's got harry going off and not returning to Hogwarts - If you ask me, it sounds waaaay too 'out-there' for it to be believeable. The whole point of the Harry Potter books was to bring a magical unreal world, but also make it believeable to us ('muggles') but all this inferi, horcruxes, and apparating to a small cave somewhere is too crazy..............does anyone agree with me???
    I thought so too. It was just like a string of random fanfics! I didnt like the new minister at all, and thought it strange there was so much on him at the beginning when he was hardly in the rest of the book at all. Thought the Fleur and Bill thing was a tad weird aswell, but I guess it was a nice ending for him, despite the whole mutilation thing. There were too many characters in too many places for too short a time for too small a reason.
    I also thought the Half Blood Prince thing was random. I thought straight away that it was Snape, who else do we know who is dead good at potions, obsessive and mean? But its just such a stupid nickname, especially as it's the title of the book.
    It was very slow at the beginning. It didnt fell like anything much happened until Dumbledore died, and then after that wasnt v good either. I like Harry slightly better though- less shouting. Would have liked more of Ron and Hermione etc. though, and less of Dumbledore having an egg over Slughorn's memory. Why was he so keen to conceal it anyway. And Ron and Lavender... :confused:
    I dont think Snape can really be evil though, I don't think it could have been THAT much of a mistake. He must be a REALLY good spy for both Dumbledore and Voldy to trust him so much. Also, wasn't convinced by Harry's reason for why Dumbledore trusted him.

ReputationRep:
    That's true minimo! It also said he had "lines of hatred etched on his face" but I suppose it could be self-hatred...hmmm...after 5 books of Snape being good, and being explicitly trusted by Dumbledore I suppose it wouldn't make much sense for him to really be totally evil....!

(Original post by noofruit)
    And Ron and Lavender... :confused:
    That was just to make Hermione jealous :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkward_eagle)
    i think it's Regulus Black
    me too

hmmm other bs

borgin
    burke
    er cant think of any others

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=shortysally]That's true minimo! It also said he had "lines of hatred etched on his face" but I suppose it could be self-hatred...hmmm...after 5 books of Snape being good, and being explicitly trusted by Dumbledore I suppose it wouldn't make much sense for him to really be totally evil....![QUOTE]

I said that on page 5 of this thread. I still reckon Snape and DD made an unbreakable vow, which is why DD trusted Snape so convincingly.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=feeling good]
    (Original post by shortysally)
    That's true minimo! It also said he had "lines of hatred etched on his face" but I suppose it could be self-hatred...hmmm...after 5 books of Snape being good, and being explicitly trusted by Dumbledore I suppose it wouldn't make much sense for him to really be totally evil....!

I said that on page 5 of this thread. I still reckon Snape and DD made an unbreakable vow, which is why DD trusted Snape so convincingly.
    Sorry I'm a bit behind with the whole thread so sorry if I've repeated anything, I haven't read every single post!

I really hope that this was what Dumbledore intended...I was sooo heartbroken when he was drinking the potion and even more so when he died!!

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i agree. Wat do you rekon was in the potion- it never said... Come to think of it i wonder what Vmort's got guarding the other horcruxes?

(Original post by viviki)
    is anyone else really disappointed???
    yeh, like the last one it spends the entrei book trying to maneuvre into a finale, and then the finale is really dissappointing and bits dont make sense.

However, who do people thing RAB is?

Cos i was thinking about Black's brother - wasn't he called Raebus or something beginning with R?
    And he's dead...

(Original post by feeling good)
    yeh, i agree. Wat do you rekon was in the potion- it never said... Come to think of it i wonder what Vmort's got guarding the other horcruxes?
    bit daft innit. he should simply hide a couple and keep the rest on him.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm....Not sure what the potion was....I can't remember if a slow death potion has ever been mentioned before, lol! Maybe he knew he would die?! Since he said the "not immediately" thing as someone else pointed out...which would support all the other Snape is good theories...

I wonder if Voldy has hidden any other horcruxes in Hogwarts? It is supposed to be the hardest place to breach security etc....so long as the horcrux was diguised or something...just a thought...the diary ended up there...

Although he probably wouldn't deliberately hide one there, he knew DD didn't trust him....

Well Nangini always seems to follow him round and Dumbledore reckoned she had a horcrux...so maybe when Harry confronts Voldy in the inevitable final duel, he will have to kill Nangini too?

Maybe there's some in his parents old house....or Borgin & Bourkes...loads of possibilities!!! He is pretty cowardly really, making himself so hard to kill..hardly giving another wizard a fair shot at him! Everyone else only has ONE piece of soul, inside them!

(Original post by minimo)
    Perhaps Snape was feeling revulsion at having to murder Dumbledore to save himself...ie he was repulsed at himself rather than the person before him...he was having to kill someone purw and innocent to save himself (so as not to dieby breaking the Unbreakable Vow)... Revulsion is a weird word...also it might help to explain Snape's anger and GUILT when Harry calls him coward. Personally I think this is the best book of the lot...makes us ask ourselves many poring questions.

I'll have finished uni by then...wow its a long time...
    yeh i think snape is actually good - else otherwise he'd simply of killed harry rather than letting him off. Voldemort doesnt need him alive anymore thats for sure.

Dumbledore might simply have sacrifice himself so that Harry would gain the strength and resolve to do what must be done.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't Voldemort keep making new horcruxes every time he kills to bring the number up to seven again? Then Harry would have a much harder job to find and destroy them all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i thought R.A.B was Regulus Black too

I havent read thewhole thead but these are my thoughts on the book:

I read the book yesterday, took me about 8 hours and i thought it was awesome, best one yet. Herry Potter is so much better when its dark, and that book was proper dark.

I also love the way she built it up at the start with Amelia Bones & Emmeline Vance's murders as they were prephiral but important charcters in the book 4/5, and also the scene with Snape and Bellatrix/Narcissa at the start which you assumed was put in to give you an insight to Snapes undercover work for the order that was mentioned in book 5, but in actual fact set up the main twist at the end really well.

Only real gripes were the pacing of the main death was too similar to OotP, and in the same sort of place in the book, which felt a bit cheap to me and made it lose a bit of impact because you knew what was coming (in that respect). Another major death somewhere near the middle would have made Dumbledores death better because you wouldnt expect two deaths.

Also, i thought the Half-Blood Prince thing was a bit poorly done, it didnt really amount to anything really, though it did show a connection between Snape & Harry well.

Anyhoo, extremely good book, i hope we dont have to wait anopther 2 years till book 7.

(Original post by awkward_eagle)
    Couldn't Voldemort keep making new horcruxes every time he kills to bring the number up to seven again? Then Harry would have a much harder job to find and destroy them all.
    you only have a finite amount of soul. Everyimt e he seperates a bit off i think he loses something...

(Original post by Nautical Rudie)
    Yeh i thought R.A.B was Regulus Black too

I havent read thewhole thead but these are my thoughts on the book:

I read the book yesterday, took me about 8 hours and i thought it was awesome, best one yet. Herry Potter is so much better when its dark, and that book was proper dark.

I also love the way she built it up at the start with Amelia Bones & Emmeline Vance's murders as they were prephiral but important charcters in the book 4/5, and also the scene with Snape and Bellatrix/Narcissa at the start which you assumed was put in to give you an insight to Snapes undercover work for the order that was mentioned in book 5, but in actual fact set up the main twist at the end really well.

Only real gripes were the pacing of the main death was too similar to OotP, and in the same sort of place in the book, which felt a bit cheap to me and made it lose a bit of impact because you knew what was coming (in that respect). Another major death somewhere near the middle would have made Dumbledores death better because you wouldnt expect two deaths.

Also, i thought the Half-Blood Prince thing was a bit poorly done, it didnt really amount to anything really, though it did show a connection between Snape & Harry well.

Anyhoo, extremely good book, i hope we dont have to wait anopther 2 years till book 7.
    also shows the irony that so many death eaters are in reality half mudbloods...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shortysally)
    Hmmm....Not sure what the potion was....I can't remember if a slow death potion has ever been mentioned before, lol! Maybe he knew he would die?! Since he said the "not immediately" thing as someone else pointed out...which would support all the other Snape is good theories...

I wonder if Voldy has hidden any other horcruxes in Hogwarts? It is supposed to be the hardest place to breach security etc....so long as the horcrux was diguised or something...just a thought...the diary ended up there...

Although he probably wouldn't deliberately hide one there, he knew DD didn't trust him....

Well Nangini always seems to follow him round and Dumbledore reckoned she had a horcrux...so maybe when Harry confronts Voldy in the inevitable final duel, he will have to kill Nangini too?

Maybe there's some in his parents old house....or Borgin & Bourkes...loads of possibilities!!! He is pretty cowardly really, making himself so hard to kill..hardly giving another wizard a fair shot at him! Everyone else only has ONE piece of soul, inside them!
    Dumbledore was unsure about the potion, nut I really do doubt that it would have been a deadly poison , more one that would almost certainly cause whoever was feeding the potion to the drinker to stop because of the sheer horror of the reaction.

The diary ended up in the school because Lucius Malfoy did not know what it was and thought that it would just open the chamber of secrets. I doubt that Voldemort would have put it into the school because of it's value.

It is enevitable that Nangini will be killed either just before or during the final duel, although since Voldemort is so fond of it, I doubt he would let it be killed very easily.

I doubt there would be any left in either of those places since it would be so easy for them to be just sold or given away, which would put them at risk.

ReputationRep:
    I think in the end Snape or wormtail will help Harry kill nagini as the final horcrux before he moves on to kill Vmort. Don't think Nagini will need any protection as a Horcrux considering she is always around Vmort!

ReputationRep:
    I think in the end Snape or wormtail will help Harry kill nagini as the final horcrux before he moves on to kill Vmort. Don't think Nagini will need any protection as a Horcrux considering she is always around Vmort!
    I would imagine having part of his soul inside her will make Nagini more powerful I would think and thus make her quite a formidable opponent.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i thought something like Snape or someone like that helping Harry at the end might happen but personally i think it would be great if Voldemort killed Harry but then Snape or someone killed Voldemort, something really unexpected. Cos lets face it, after reading the duel between Snape and Harry at the end of HBP, Harry was completely whipped by Snape. I cant see how Harry can get so amazingly good at occumelency and magic that he can defeat all the death eaters AND Voldemort (and Sanpe), really quickly. Especially if he isnt going back to school, whos gonna teach him the stuff? Actually, it might be quite good if he kept the Half-Blood Prince textbook and learnt it all out of there, that might be quite good.

Off subject, i thought it was great that McGonagall got the head's job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)

If R.A.B Is Regulus Black Who was killed by Death eaters apparently (Im sure its mentioned in HBP) then maybe the locket is still in presence, even in Grimald place.
    more for the regulus black theory on OOTP p108 (UK edition)

'a heavy locket that none of them could open' oh im sad

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm....well .....hey the locket...the one DD thought he was getting from the cave *sniff*...was that a different one then from the one that had belonged to Slytherin?! *confused* lol

Dumbledore said he'd like to hide them in trophies etc...and things which belonged to the founders of Hogwarts...hmm...if that's the case maybe they're all hidden in places similar to the cave, places we haven't heard of before?!

I think that the final horcrux before the duel and Nangini will be close to where the duel will take place, or that Voldy will catch Harry destroying it and then the duel will begin....but of course that's all wishful thinking on my part lol!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.