The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** Watch

This discussion is closed.
feeling good
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nautical Rudie)
Yeh i thought something like Snape or someone like that helping Harry at the end might happen but personally i think it would be great if Voldemort killed Harry but then Snape or someone killed Voldemort, something really unexpected. Cos lets face it, after reading the duel between Snape and Harry at the end of HBP, Harry was completely whipped by Snape. I cant see how Harry can get so amazingly good at occumelency and magic that he can defeat all the death eaters AND Voldemort (and Sanpe), really quickly. Especially if he isnt going back to school, whos gonna teach him the stuff? Actually, it might be quite good if he kept the Half-Blood Prince textbook and learnt it all out of there, that might be quite good.

Off subject, i thought it was great that McGonagall got the head's job!
Yeh was good, shame we don't go back to Hogwarts next year to hear about her principalship (For lack of a better word)!
Totally agree on Harry getting whooped, but he will get stronger and I think Snape was dropping him a hint telling him to 'close his mind' before challenging Vmort.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by laura789)
more for the regulus black theory on OOTP p108 (UK edition)

'a heavy locket that none of them could open' oh im sad
which has prob been stolen now by madundus or whatever u call him and sold on...
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nautical Rudie)
Yeh i thought something like Snape or someone like that helping Harry at the end might happen but personally i think it would be great if Voldemort killed Harry but then Snape or someone killed Voldemort, something really unexpected. Cos lets face it, after reading the duel between Snape and Harry at the end of HBP, Harry was completely whipped by Snape. I cant see how Harry can get so amazingly good at occumelency and magic that he can defeat all the death eaters AND Voldemort (and Sanpe), really quickly. Especially if he isnt going back to school, whos gonna teach him the stuff? Actually, it might be quite good if he kept the Half-Blood Prince textbook and learnt it all out of there, that might be quite good.

Off subject, i thought it was great that McGonagall got the head's job!
I would not put it past harry to gain the power to defeat Voldemort, after all, there is still the journey to find the other 4 Horocrux.
shortysally
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah! If Harry teaches himself occlumeny and non verbal curses that would help because Voldemort wouldn't be able to tap in to his thoughts OR know what was coming!

Maybe one of the horcruxes are hidden in a vault in Azkaban or something, disguised as a harmless trophy....ooooh!!!!! I mean, no one else had figured out that he'd used a horcrux so there'd be no need for Azkaban to be suspicious?! Hmmmm...
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wise One)
Also, we now need to start thinking about the seven horcruxes;

- Something belonging to Gryffindor (Sword, Sorting Hat?)
Harry? Though I suppose Voldemort wouldn't have known at the time.

Though they were in 'Godric's Hollow' - maybe he'd intended to link it in somehow.

(Original post by shortysally)
However when Snape looked at Dumbledore before performing the avada kedavra curse, it said he had a look of revulsion in his eyes, as if he detested Albus.
Maybe revulsion at Dumbledore's current state, being completely weakened? And revulsion at what he knew he'd have to do.

With Dumbledore dead now I'm wondering if and how we're going to find out about the 'look of triumph' he had after the Triwizard disaster.

(Original post by Ditzy)
I reckon Regulus too, he died when Voldemort was first powerful (well that was the impression I got) He was killed for trying to back when he realised he was in too deep. But I also got the impression that the locket was taken quite a while ago as well, so it does kinda fit. Is it possible that he was killed for taking the locket?
Though it's probably not possible, it'd be interesting if he were still alive- would create meeting possibilities.

(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
Why would Voldemort intentionally create a horcrux of Harry?

He was trying to kill the one he considered equal to him, not his parents.
Yes, but perhaps it wasn't entirely intentional, or he didn't think he'd succeeded or whatever. As I said previously, that was my immediate assumption but I became less sure as I read on. Still, it would be an interesting development at the end.

I think it would be really lovely and a great display of true friendship if in book 7, Hermione and Ron joined Harry in leaving Hogwarts to help him on his misson.
Yes, I was wondering how far he would let them go with him. He might send them back at some point - that way we would still have connections with Hogwarts and Hermione could help from there by researching etc.
Having said that, that might make character interactions more lacking.

(Original post by noofruit)
Dumbledore having an egg over Slughorn's memory. Why was he so keen to conceal it anyway.
Because of the implications. Slughorn effectively provided Riddle/Voldemort with the means for immortality. Not good.
(though obviously he could probably eventually have found out from other sources)

(Original post by awkward_eagle)
Couldn't Voldemort keep making new horcruxes every time he kills to bring the number up to seven again? Then Harry would have a much harder job to find and destroy them all.
But didn't they say Voldemort was so detatched from them that he couldn't feel when they were destroyed?

(Original post by laura789)
more for the regulus black theory on OOTP p108 (UK edition)

'a heavy locket that none of them could open' oh im sad
Ooh, well remembered. But did they chuck it?
shortysally
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm interesting theory about Harry being a horcrux...but, all Voldemort did was the avada kedavra curse, which transfered "some of his power" to Harry.....I can't see how soul would have got in as well?! He's performed the curse on loads of people....we know Harry was different but all the same there must be some kind of different incantation to make a horcrux and I'm sure he wouldn't have done it intentionally...?

I suppose it could explain why Harry has seen in to Voldemort's head before, and has such a connection between him despite the clear hatred there is between them......although Dumbledore has obviously been thinking about the horcrux thing for some time and never once mentioned to Harry that he could be a horcrux....also he said that making animals horcruxes was risky so I'd assume making humans one would be even riskier! Especially if they hated you!

It would make for a really interesting and scary twist though! But not sure if it works....

Food for thought though

I love McGonagall and was glad she became Headmistress as well

Oh and sorry with my "aw that's cute"ness again....but how cute and teary was this...

"'I am not worried, Harry' said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. 'I am with you.'"

*sobs* </3
Narsha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why would it be Regulus? Wasn't he with the dark side and then deserted it because he was too scared or something? I have a gut feeling R.A.B wouldn't be Regulus purely because he wouldn't have time to think of all the horcrux business (he died quite quickly afterwards, didn't he?) and his name is REGULUS. I mean, come on, REGULUS=regular bloke??? I think he's just dead.

I'd go into hiding next year or so if book 7 revealed that RAB was Regulus!!hehe
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

"'I am not worried, Harry' said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. 'I am with you.'"

*sobs* </3
Second best bit to that was when Dumbledore got teary in his office when Harry told him he said he was Dumbledores man through and through...
~nat~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
Second best bit to that was when Dumbledore got teary in his office when Harry told him he said he was Dumbledores man through and through...
yes! that bit really touched me too *sobs*

EDIT: actually, reflecting upon what Harry said, the comment 'Dumbledore's man through and through' pre-empts book 7. Harry has to continue without him to fulfil the prophecy either way; Dumbledore has guided him through all the challenges and encounters Harry has so far faced. But in book 6, he told Harry about the horcruxes (and his seemingly accurate theory about what they may be), and given him the lessons to give Harry the knowledge about Riddle/Voldemort through the Pensieve memories. In other words, Harry is Dumbledore's man through and through for book 7, because Harry is armed with what Dumbledore has said and shown to him, as much as possible to guide him for when he is alone. So in a way, Dumbledore hasnt really gone, he lives in Harry's experiences, both past and future.

phew, that was a bit deep!
perkyDani
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
is anyone else really disappointed???
yeah, it was still great but it just doesnt compare with the first four books, I was just expecting too much from it.
Anyways, I CANNOT believe that Snape really is evil, how could Dumbledore be so wrong?
Does anyone think that theres a something really important which still hasnt been mentioned about why Dumby trusts Snape so much, I know there was the stuff about snape pretending to be really sorry about harry's parents but thats hardly a proper reason.
shortysally
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
Oh definitely! Brought a tear to my eye too! AWWW!
CR3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yea its me again, wow must be over a year since i last came here, all this talk about the half blood prince and it coming out now, i remember the old UK Learning site, with the record breaking Harry Potter threaD, NEVEER REALLY HEARD WHAT AHPPENED, ALL I REMEMBER WAS SOME SORT OF SCANDAL, so yea i hope im remembered by some, man this place grew and grew and grew,so yea im sure everyone here is excitedly reading right now (not me) damn american bookstores and there pre ordering *******s
Steph!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
I still think that Ron & Hermione are being sidelined far too much. Their story line has developed into a bit-part soap opera, rather than confidantes and stooges of Harry.

o0o, and cheers Steph.
ja, a bit. but I quite like the sideline romance plots. kinda saw them coming in the last few books though.
Steph!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by perkyDani)
yeah, it was still great but it just doesnt compare with the first four books, I was just expecting too much from it.
Anyways, I CANNOT believe that Snape really is evil, how could Dumbledore be so wrong?
Does anyone think that theres a something really important which still hasnt been mentioned about why Dumby trusts Snape so much, I know there was the stuff about snape pretending to be really sorry about harry's parents but thats hardly a proper reason.
I still think snape isn't really evil, just trying to keep on the good side of voldemort, cos dumbledore was prob dying anyway and also, by killing dumbledore he was saving draco as well
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thinking about it, the unbreakable vow with Dumbledore makes a lot of sense... It's either that, or Snape is actually good, and is still trying to prove himself or something, because: Remember in that quidditch match where Quirrel was trying to kill Harry, under V's orders? Well, if it was under Voldemorts orders, why, if Snape was truly on Voldy's side, try to save Harry? Why not let him fall, and hope he dies.

Meh... Does that make sense to anyone? :confused:
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
Thinking about it, the unbreakable vow with Dumbledore makes a lot of sense... It's either that, or Snape is actually good, and is still trying to prove himself or something, because: Remember in that quidditch match where Quirrel was trying to kill Harry, under V's orders? Well, if it was under Voldemorts orders, why, if Snape was truly on Voldy's side, try to save Harry? Why not let him fall, and hope he dies.

Meh... Does that make sense to anyone? :confused:
As was stated in the book, Snape though that Quirrel was trying to get the philospher's stone for himself and Voldemort had not revealed his return to anyone.
perkyDani
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
DD's death was really sad but not just cos people love the character.
It seems there is a surprising lack of intelligent clearheaded adults in the wizarding world, just look at all those people in the ministry, they all seem to be wain/ignorant/petty/evil/selfish
the teachers at HOgwarts are better but even they dont seem to know whats going on half the time. Harry knows and has experienced about 100 times more than them. Now it feels like harry is totally alone, theres no one at all who's even near powerful or wise enough to help him or even understand him, thats why its soooo annoying that Sirius and now DD are dead, they were the only ones that harry could talk to properly
Narsha
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Tonks and Lupin thing was VERY random, I thought.......
Was it even neccessary?
I mean, yeah Lupin needs to be happy cuz it shows that being a werewolf isn't all bad and you can be loved..
but it was really really random.
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
12 hours. finished that cursed book. I have a headache. no more potter
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lovingbuzz)
Tonks and Lupin thing was VERY random, I thought.......
Was it even neccessary?
I mean, yeah Lupin needs to be happy cuz it shows that being a werewolf isn't all bad and you can be loved..
but it was really really random.
Yeah, I think the book is a little over-romanticised. Sometimes it read a little like a soap opera.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.32%
No (729)
72.68%

Watched Threads