Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Could someone explain to me how RAB (assumedly Regulus) got back into Grimmauld Place to steal this locket, in spite of the protection that The Order would have placed upon the HQ, as well as him supposedly being dead?
    the whole RAB/horcrux thing was done many years befpre the Order was reformed i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perkyDani)
    yep, so much on that book didnt make sense, like with malfoy as well, if harry suspected that malfoy was with LV and had the dark mark but he could prove it, why didnt he just sneak up to malfoy and pull his left sleeve up, that would have saved him from sneaking around so much
    exactly! Considering Harry's position, you'd think that the other characters wouldnt be so passive with harry when he was claiming (quite rightly) that malfoy was up to something.

looking at the early reviews, it seems the critics are divided on HBP too...
    whatever the case, im definitely intrigued to see what the final book has in store

(Original post by visesh)
    the whole RAB/horcrux thing was done many years befpre the Order was reformed i think.
    Hmm, gotcha. Just read the sentence again.

ReputationRep:
    Regulus died 15yrs ago in ootp so he died the year Harry was born. He probably stole it but didn't' know how to destroy it and it remained in Grimmauld place until sirius started clearing it.

ReputationRep:
    actually, just rereading the part where DD dies, it does seem like he is pleading for snape to kill him instead of to save him .
    The reason why DD talks to Malfoy so calmly is because he knew exactly what was coming, and he wanted to delay Malfoy from killing him as he was waiting for Snape to do it.
    anyway, it seems like LV had a specific reason for wanting Malfoy to commit the murder, it seems clear in CH2 that LV didnt want anyone else to know about or help malfoy do it. maybe DD and snape had a reason for wnating to prevent malfoy from being the one who did it

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't going to post here, since I'm still bitter that you guys spoiled Dumbledores death for me, but I need someone to talk to!

I really do think Snape is still with the Order, Dumbledore must have something other than the whole prophecy thing on him to prove that he's loyal, I think( courtesy of the poster above me) that snape killed Dumbledore to prevent Draco turning to the dark side or something or whatever reason LV had for Draco being the killer.

I thought they would be back to scholl next year as Hogwarts is so integral to the series, but then I realised that the books are really about harry, so JKR may go ahead with the whole horuxes quest thing next year.

ReputationRep:
    Just a question...if someone dies then their spells are undone right? (as was the case with DD and Harry )...so shouldn't that mean that Voldy's Avada Kedavras will be undone if Harry kills him?! Lily and James coming back...what an ending...

ReputationRep:
    oh for god's sake, that interview on channel 3 was worthless
    Totally. No good questions. No good answers.

Just a question...if someone dies then their spells are undone right? (as was the case with DD and Harry )...so shouldn't that mean that Voldy's Avada Kedavras will be undone if Harry kills him?! Lily and James coming back...what an ending...
    That would be interesting, but maybe it's only spells that are active, other wise weird things would happen, like every potatoe you ever peeled with magic would have to somehow reverse. It could be messy...

ReputationRep:
    Not all magic is reversible like the sticking charms on the back of the paintings for instance.

ReputationRep:
    JKR said we will never see Lily and James alive in HP. So i very much doubt that Harry killing old VoldyPants will bring back his parents.

ReputationRep:
    i wonder what the big secret about Lilly is in book 7?? i cant wait!

ReputationRep:
    I know. There wasn't much new info about Harrys parents so i guess all will be revealed in the last one.

I found Dumbledores death heartbreaking. The way he was growing weak and Snape being the half blood prince ; now that was unexpected.

Dracos gutless. I think he'll be killed or driven insane in the next one. Hes not obedient enough for old voldy. He bottled out remember.

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh. Look where lateral thinking gets you...

Just typed 'Regulus' into wikipedia, and will you look at what I got?

Regulus (α Leo / α Leonis / Alpha Leonis) is the brightest star in the constellation Leo and one of the brightest stars in the nighttime sky.

Regulus is approximately 77.5 light years from Earth's Solar System. Its name is Latin for "prince."
    A coincidence? With Rowling, I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    i wonder what the big secret about Lilly is in book 7?? i cant wait!
    I think the Lily secret is something to do with Petunia, Dumbledore and the 'remember my last' thing...

ReputationRep:
    A coincidence? With Rowling, I think not.
    Well, it could be. The majority of that family have starry type names: Sirius, Bellatrix, Andromeda etc. Maybe she just liked the sound of it?

ReputationRep:
    I know we find out about her and James' profession but I doubt that will be a big secret.

Im pretty sure Dumbledore said his 'remember my last' meant to tell Petunia to remember his letter he left with Harry, which said about how he was protected when he lived there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noofruit)
    Well, it could be. The majority of that family have starry type names: Sirius, Bellatrix, Andromeda etc. Maybe she just liked the sound of it?
    Yes, but Sirius is the 'dog star', and Bellatrix means 'warrioress'. So those seem fairly apt.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I see where you are going with this... cool. How many names of the Black family do we know so far? Im all interested now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    Yes, but Sirius is the 'dog star', and Bellatrix means 'warrioress'. So those seem fairly apt.
    Really? Thats really cool.
    I think you might be onto something there then. JK is brilliant at putting subtle hints into people's names like with Lupin. Remus (one of the two Roman founders who was raised by wolves) and Lupin (Lupine means wolflike).
    Although I do not see the significance of Regulus meaning Prince. I expect it will be revealed in the next book if it is important.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo just found a thing... there was a Roman Emperor: Lucius Septimus Serverus, who defeated Clodinus Albinus. Also there were several saints named Serverus.

Link: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/snape.html

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.