Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Betcha something happened between Lily and Snape while they were in school, but Lily chose James over him, thus why he is bitter towards Harry all the time.
    Still reckon he made an unbreakable vow with DD though- otherwise they would'nt have made such a big fuss about it in the first half of the book!

ReputationRep:
    the title the half blood prince was hardly significant i thought. the whole book consisted of too many subplots and the romance was mad, evrything was a bit of an anticlimax. dumbledore dying was the only really signifcant thing that happend in all of the many pages. but she does have a fantatic imaginaton and it is a good book, personally i preferred the first 3 to the latest 3 books though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noofruit)
    Ooo just found a thing... there was a Roman Emperor: Lucius Septimus Serverus, who defeated Clodinus Albinus. Also there were several saints named Serverus.

Link: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/snape.html
    :eek: That cant be just a coincidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Was a pretty lame death though... could at least have taken a couple of Death Eaters with him.
    How many would make it realistic though? I think it would have been lamer if he was just defeated in combat. Having him willingly die just proves what he has been saying along: that death is not the worst of possible outcomes, and Voldemort's failure to realise this will ultimately cost him.
    Having said that, Draco has some serious redemptive ass-kicking to do in book seven.

LV talks particularly about three Death Eaters
    --one who I fear has left my service forever... (we previously assumed Snape)
    --one who has betrayed too many of his fellows (Karkaroff)
    --my most faithul DE in Hogwarts (we assumed Crouch Jr. but now it looks liek Snape...)
    Still Snape, Karkaroff and Crouch Jnr. According to Snape in chapter three, he wasn't at the circle, but went to Voldemort personally two hours later under the guise of maintaining his status with Dumbledore.

(Original post by Nautical Rudie)
    ...the way she built it up at the start with Amelia Bones & Emmeline Vance's murders as they were prephiral but important charcters in the book 4/5, ...
    Also note that these two were the other important witches in the Ministry whom people might have suspected as next Minister. Their deaths gave Rowling some justification for introducing this new character as MoM.

(Original post by TheVlad)
    Yeah, I think the book is a little over-romanticised. Sometimes it read a little like a soap opera.
    I suppose it is all in order to set Harry up in proper "love is all around you" mode for his showdown with Voldemort. We have young love (Ron and Hermione), married love (the Weasleys), parental love (Mrs Weasley mostly. Possibly even Aunt Petunia), love winning through (Remus and Nymphadora), I suspect Percy will come back more in book seven for brotherly love, love despite the dangers (Harry and Ginny - perhaps?) and so on... If Harry is to win by love somehow (and I have no idea how Rowling will make that work), then he has to truly believe in its power.

It seems odd to me that the locket in Grimmauld Place wasn't mentioned as having Slytherin's S on it. However, from a purely storytelling point of view, I suspect it would be harder (for Harry) to discover that Regulus had destroyed it than to discover the locket itself - and that he had not. So maybe it'll turn up with Kreacher or Mundungus.

The six horcruxes then:
    Diary (gone)
    Ring (gone)
    Slytherin's Locket (?)
    Hufflepuff's Chalice
    Ravenclaw/Gryffindor artefact?
    Nagini/Harry

I am inclined to think that although Harry being the horcrux would be nice and symbolic and all, it is unlikely. If Voldemort ripped his soul on Lily's death, then why stick the bit in the baby you're about to kill. And if he ripped it on Harry's death, then again he'd want to be putting it somewhere more portable and less decomposable than the corpse of a baby, I'd have thought.
    If the only Gryffindor artefact left is indeed the sword, then assuming Voldemort did manage to get a full set of six, the last horcruxes are a Ravenclaw thing and Nagini.
    It occurs to me that the relics of the Founders seem to have some correspondance to the suits of a tarot deck. Chalice, Sword, Locket (=coins/pentacles), which makes the Ravenclaw relic a club, or staff, or wand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_eyes)
    the title the half blood prince was hardly significant i thought. the whole book consisted of too many subplots and the romance was mad, evrything was a bit of an anticlimax. dumbledore dying was the only really signifcant thing that happend in all of the many pages. but she does have a fantatic imaginaton and it is a good book, personally i preferred the first 3 to the latest 3 books though.
    Agreed. The title had very little significance really apart from the fact that the title is basically Harry and Snape and the whole Snape being bad still was quite important. But there really should have been a title with more significance to the storyline. Just thinking about it, there is very little else of any significance that the title could have been.

This book has to be read as half of the conclusion to the series. There was a lot of subplots and loose ends as there always is at the start of the books which kind of come together at the end.

I have liked the last 3 books more than the first three because they have been more interesting and made me think more. However I didnt like all the romance stuff in HBP. I just seemed a bit rubbishy.

ReputationRep:
    i enjoyed the book, lthough i was very sad where dumbledoor dies. but the thing i want to know more about is the portrait of him in the headtheacher office. how come he was asleep when harry saw it? was this because he had not yet had the funeral? how come harry didnt feel comforted at the fact that he was still kind of alive? and could the poraited dumbledoor give harry advice still on what he should do in order to kill voldemot or ccan he not because he has lost his memory o he cannot think in that manner any more because he is technicaly dead? please give me your thaughts

ReputationRep:
    can any body tell me the quote that somebody out on here a while ago aboout sirius killing dumbledoor (this was before the book was release i thaught it was very unlikely at the time i read it so i didnt take it in properly . i would like to know what it said hmmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    I do think that one of the horcruxes is a Ravenclaw item. JKR said in an interview that in the final book that 'Ravenclaw would have their day' and then tapped her nose. What that item is I have no idea but I do like the tarot card idea.

I dont think Harry will be a horcrux simply because, as you said it would not seem very clever of Voldemort to put part of his soul into something he was intending to kill. However it would be good for JKR as it would stop pressure for more books if Harry had to die

ReputationRep:

I have just thought of something - I am sorry if someone has already mentioned it but Voldie is going to get himself a new wand!

Think about it wand maker gone and nobody is better than him. Harry and Voldie are brothers (wand wise) one of them needs a different wand which suits that person correctly (to make sure spells work right) so I think...

Voldie put wand maker under the unforgivable curse which begins with I (that I can't spell and won't attempt) and forced him to leave without a fuss and then uses him to create another wand for him.

I can't imagine wand maker to be a great wizard power wise so would find it nearly impossible to break the curse.

I think once Voldie has new wand, he'll kill him and then Harry will find him and reasile the truth on why he left.

ReputationRep:
    Sirius' uncle is called Alphard, do you think maybe regulus' middle name is Alphard, therefore.....

Regulus Alphard Black---> R.A.B

ReputationRep:
    if harry did die in the last book then wouldnt it just go blank because the book follows harry around as if it were a diary of him, but if he died then surley it would.......... i cant explain myself does any body know what i mean???/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)

I have just thought of something - I am sorry if someone has already mentioned it but Voldie is going to get himself a new wand!

Think about it wand maker gone and nobody is better than him. Harry and Voldie are brothers (wand wise) one of them needs a different wand which suits that person correctly (to make sure spells work right) so I think...

Voldie put wand maker under the unforgivable curse which begins with I (that I can't spell and won't attempt) and forced him to leave without a fuss and then uses him to create another wand for him.

I can't imagine wand maker to be a great wizard power wise so would find it nearly impossible to break the curse.

I think once Voldie has new wand, he'll kill him and then Harry will find him and reasile the truth on why he left.
    I hadnt thought of that. That does sound very likely but isnt it the wand that chooses the owner. Surely it would disadvantage Voldemort to change his wand to something that doesnt suit him as much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    The book was Snapes mum's (who's surname was Prince), probably got handed down to Snape who then wrote all over it with his potion making miracles, and his invented spells...
    nope it was Snape's own copy.

Like Voldie he hates being half muddle but his mother was a pure blood and as he was her son...he was by blood half Prince half Snape. He created The Half Blood Prince as his dark name like Voldie was Tom Riddle. Snape alto-ego (?) is/was The Half Blood Prince.

*shivers*I hate the thought of HIM having a mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owen_cov)
    I hadnt thought of that. That does sound very likely but isnt it the wand that chooses the owner. Surely it would disadvantage Voldemort to change his wand to something that doesnt suit him as much

Yeah but there must be more than ONE sutiable wand for someone in case of breakages.

He probably would start out trying all the wands Mr. Wand Maker kept in his shop.

Edit - And we have proof from HBP that Voldie can kill with other peoples wands - that Mophin guy's wand.

ReputationRep:
    oh it could only be two years away (book 7 that is)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/4691511.stm

ReputationRep:
    is there a website where you can read the whole interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)

Yeah but there must be more than ONE sutiable wand for someone in case of breakages.

He probably would start out trying all the wands Mr. Wand Maker kept in his shop.

Edit - And we have proof from HBP that Voldie can kill with other peoples wands - that Mophin guy's wand.
    yes, you can use other people's wands, so Voldemort can kill with someone else's wand. However, it has been mentioned in one of the earlier books that using someone else's wand is never as effective as using your own (original) wand, which has chosen you as its owner rather than the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    :mad: Lazy cow, she isn't even going to start the new book properly til next year!! I wish I could just take 5 months off work!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    yes, you can use other people's wands, so Voldemort can kill with someone else's wand. However, it has been mentioned in one of the earlier books that using someone else's wand is never as effective as using your own (original) wand, which has chosen you as its owner rather than the other way round.
    It is one of the most powerful spells in the wizarding world. I think it is important that he can use it on other wands because going back to Neville in Ootp, he couldn't use Hermione's wand for Stunning Spell (ok crap wizard but had goodish O.W.L results(?) E in Defence etc.)

ohhhhh...I know I know...funny ending would be Harry opening duel which Disarm charm, wand goes flying, Voldie attempt to get wand back but is distracted by Ron and Hermione suddenly Body Locking Death Eaters left right and center. Voldie turns to see what is going on and then angrier charges at Potter who is trying to steal his wand. Voldie kicks Harry (sending him flying) and picks up his wand, raises it to perform the spell, and his wand turns into a rubber chicken giving Harry time to kill him.

Going back to Neville - were you lot as surprised as me to discover Neville studying Defence since he is most scared of Snape (Boggot Snape :rolleyes: :rolleyes:) I was also surprised by his results, O in herb (expected), E in Defence, A in Trans, E in Charms...I don't know if his grandmother's contacts helped out there!

ReputationRep:
    Question: SO was Quirrell only teaching at Hogwarts for a year? I got the impression in book one that he'd been there a while

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.