Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    Quirrell was new. He had graduated Hogwarts a few years before, gone off for some practical experience, and was coming back to teach for the first time.

ReputationRep:
    could someone clarify one thing for me: why did Dumbledore give Snape the position of DADA teacher and not keep him as Potions master?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    could someone clarify one thing for me: why did Dumbledore give Snape the position of DADA teacher and not keep him as Potions master?
    Slughorn's spectilty is Potions not DADA whereas Snape swings both ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Slughorn's spectilty is Potions not DADA.
    ahhh, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    Noone else would take the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    A shallow plot device to enable Harry to do potions and become an auror.

ReputationRep:
    god finished it yesterday and was a bit upset about dumbledore at first but realised jk had to kill him off because then harry has to go it alone against volde.. *stutters and drops drink* ahh sorry meant *you know who* lol. afterall ron and hermione now have each other, i know theres still ginny but he did good telling ginny that they couldnt be together before they got even more attached.

as for snape grrrrr nasty little s*** that he is, its possible that he was double bluffing and that dumbledore had to die or it would be draco and snape. and draco might have become like another voldemort. i like the idea that some said harry is a horcrux himself, that sounds about right actually, but i think he has to go thru the veil and out the other side only losing his scar and the bit that is lord voldemort in the process.

ive thought of another one, what if fawkes is a horcrux? it was his feathers that went into both harry and voldemorts wands

i also think fawkes will belong to harry or stay in the office belonging to mcgonagall.

sorry about the randomness of my ideas just a couple of things going round in my head which i cant share with my brother cos hes only half way thru the book argggggggh sooo annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilgirl999)
    i also think fawkes will belong to harry or stay in the office belonging to mcgonagall.
    I am sure fawkes left hogwats, when I read the bit straight after the death of dumbledore

ReputationRep:
    Found out like a week ago that Snape would pwn Dumbledore meh oh well

ReputationRep:
    I am sure fawkes left hogwats, when I read the bit straight after the death of dumbledore
    I think Fawkes will come back to Harry. It's been kind of important during the books, so I don't think Rowling will just get rid off him. But I don't think it'll save harry's life in the last book. That'd be too much like CoS.

ReputationRep:
    Slughorn's spectilty is Potions not DADA whereas Snape swings both ways
    What does Snape's alledged bisexuality have to do with DADA?^o)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    something that i realised earlier today that really frustrated me was that if the potion that dumbledore had to drink couldnt be touched directly, hence it could only be removed with the goblet, then why did they have to drink it? couldnt they have just got one big bucket/ another ocntainer and poured it into that? Or would it refil itself if someone didnt drink it?
    Presumably it must refil itself in time anyway- as, if you think about it- it must've been emptied before when R.A.B. first retrieved the real amulet.

(Original post by totally obsesd)
    if harry did die in the last book then wouldnt it just go blank because the book follows harry around as if it were a diary of him, but if he died then surley it would.......... i cant explain myself does any body know what i mean???/
    I know what you mean - normally the book follows Harry's point of view. However, there are relatively detatched moments at the start of many of the books. It is possible she will once again adopt an alternative view point but this time for the end.

(Original post by devilgirl999)
    ive thought of another one, what if fawkes is a horcrux? it was his feathers that went into both harry and voldemorts wands

'And he knew, without knowing how he knew it, that the pheonix had gone, had left Hogwarts for good...'
    So he may meet Harry at some point, but wont be returning to the school.

(Original post by Immortal Wombat)
    I am inclined to think that although Harry being the horcrux would be nice and symbolic and all, it is unlikely. If Voldemort ripped his soul on Lily's death, then why stick the bit in the baby you're about to kill. And if he ripped it on Harry's death, then again he'd want to be putting it somewhere more portable and less decomposable than the corpse of a baby, I'd have thought.
    Oh, I don't think he'd have purposefully made Harry a horcrux. If it did occur, I don't think it was as Voldemort had intended- but it would be interesting and I think it might combine with the prophecy. Obviously there are technicalities to consider with this theory however.

ReputationRep:
    Just typed 'Regulus' into wikipedia, and will you look at what I got?
    apart from "prince" wikipedia also says

It is also known as Al Kalb Al Asad, from Arabic القلب الأس al-qalb[u] al-´asad, meaning "heart of the lion."
    is the lion not a griffindor thing? maybe i'm reading too much into that...

also, another conspiricy theory about the Horcrux thing... maybe (don't ask me how... this is very much wild speculation) Dumbledore himself was a horcrux - since he was 'the only one V ever feared', and many wizards assumed that he would be able to finish V off, but if he was a horcrux, he himself would have to die before someone faced the 7th bit of soul in V. Therefore, he discovered he was a horcrux and deliberately got snape to kill him (or put him a a position where he would have to (a la Malfoy - which was a plot he clearly knew about)), thus leaving harry, as prepared as he could, to go out and get V finally (well and the remaining horcruxes).

ok... so maybe that's abit long and conveluted....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomoo2k)
    oh for god's sake, that interview on channel 3 was worthless
    Very true, lame kiddies asking dull questions like "How did you think up Harry" which we all know. No real, interrogative questions *rolls eyes* AND he hadn't even finished the book to ask her on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immortal wombat)
    It occurs to me that the relics of the Founders seem to have some correspondance to the suits of a tarot deck. Chalice, Sword, Locket (=coins/pentacles), which makes the Ravenclaw relic a club, or staff, or wand.
    Nice. Very nice indeed.

ReputationRep:
    SPOILERS BELOW

i'm still way upset over dumbledore's death, but i suppose it was inevitable really...
    but now i'm left wondering - who's gonna help teach harry?!
    RAB - yeah, i thought of sirius' brother too, i'll go re-read that bit in OOTP when it mentions why/how he died.
    and, omg, was anyone else shocked at the start that wormtail was living with snape?!?!?
    AND... why is snape evil.... oh i so wanted him to be good... but i'm thinking, if he was really working for voldemort, surely he could've stunned harry and then dragged him along out of the castle grounds and to voldemort's lair?? but he didn't, he just blocked all his spells... and seemed quite intent that harry didn't call him a coward... i reckon there's probs a lot more to dumbledore's death than just that snape killed him because of his hatred... i'm inclined to agree with those saying snape had no choice cos of the unbreakable vow... but it's goin to be v hard for him to redeem himself in the eyes of the Order etc, cos it looks like he totally betrayed them...
    and i must admit, it was somewhat of a letdown that he was the half-blood prince, i mean, snape is so greasy and... bleurgh... i've never thought of him with much grandeur....
    why can't ron and hermione just get on with it, argh, they're so obviosly made for each other, come on guys!!
    and aww, tonks was so sweet with lupin.... that was cute..
    but harry can't just leave ginny... if they stayed together he could like, have something more to fight for, you know, all that noble love stuff...

anyway, i think i preffered book 5, though i'll hafta re-read this one just to sorta cement some stuff in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    What does Snape's alledged bisexuality have to do with DADA?^o)
    Oh haha!

Anyone got any theories of Neville sudden braininess (its in a post a few posts up, or down, or on another page depending on your settings - personally, I am on 40 post per page with the newest posts first.)

ReputationRep:
    nope it was Snape's own copy.

Like Voldie he hates being half muddle but his mother was a pure blood and as he was her son...he was by blood half Prince half Snape. He created The Half Blood Prince as his dark name like Voldie was Tom Riddle. Snape alto-ego (?) is/was The Half Blood Prince.

*shivers*I hate the thought of HIM having a mother.
    But the book was 50 years old - much older than Snape is, since Snape was in the same year as Harry's dad, Lupin, Sirius, and Pettigrew, and Lupin pretty much ruled that out by asking Harry to check the date of publication.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    it could have been a used book that was quite old when snape used it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    But the book was 50 years old - much older than Snape is, since Snape was in the same year as Harry's dad, Lupin, Sirius, and Pettigrew, and Lupin pretty much ruled that out by asking Harry to check the date of publication.
    :confused:
    Maybe like Tom Riddle, Snape came from a poorish family and had funding to buy second hand books
    Snape cleary says
    "I, the half blood prince,....."

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.