Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immortal Wombat)
    It said Montague was stuck in some kind of emptiness half-way between the shop and the school. Presumably that magical space was not covered by the anti-apparition charms on Hogwarts. It doesn't say where he apparated to. We can probably assume it was not into Hogwarts since that is impossible, and anyway, would probably have been mentioned before now.
    I'm pretty sure he reappeared in one of the bathrooms in Hogwarts- hense the inconsistancy.

ReputationRep:
    If Snape and Dumbledore made an unbreakable vow, someone else would've known about it as Bellatrix had to witness it between Snape and Malfoy's mother. This coud either mean there was no such vow or that someone else was aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    If Snape and Dumbledore made an unbreakable vow, someone else would've known about it as Bellatrix had to witness it between Snape and Malfoy's mother. This coud either mean there was no such vow or that someone else was aware of it.
    What if the person who witnessed it is no longer alive? Just thinking outloud here btw.

Looking forward to the Mugglenet/TLC interview. I have high hopes for this one because I truely believe they're more likely to ask sensible questions we actually want to know that answers to (I couldn't care less about who her favourite author was when she was little or any of the other stupid things the kids in the interview asked!!)

ReputationRep:
    But shes not going to give much away though is she? It would be interesting though if they put some theories as have been discussed here e.g. Harry being a horcrux as her expression may say something. Or, hopefully she could discount it which would mean he wouldn't ahve to die and could live happily ever after with Ginny!

ReputationRep:
    I knew draco would turn out to be a death eater! I wouldn't have let him back in after his father got arrested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    But shes not going to give much away though is she? It would be interesting though if they put some theories as have been discussed here e.g. Harry being a horcrux as her expression may say something. Or, hopefully she could discount it which would mean he wouldn't ahve to die and could live happily ever after with Ginny!
    I don't think she'll give anything big away, but I really hope they asked some of the niggling little questions that aren't really important, but haven't been answered yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I'm pretty sure he reappeared in one of the bathrooms in Hogwarts- hense the inconsistancy.
    Oh yeah. I had forgotten it was mentioned in OotP. Odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I knew draco would turn out to be a death eater! I wouldn't have let him back in after his father got arrested.
    That would have been very un-Dumbledore though! He makes the point that it is worth giving people the benefit of the doubt. And paradoxically he was right. Malfoy couldn't hurt him. When Draco said Dumbledore was at his mercy, Dumbledore replied "It is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now" and he was right - Draco could not kill him. It might also have held a deeper significance - the mercy he showed Snape too which may or may not have been misplaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I have been thinking the exact same thing since book 4, even though at the time we only knew about his father. Regardless, you shouldn't allow people like that to be studying in your school.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps Dumbledore knew of another prophecy - in this case of his death? Just a thought, but perhaps other prophecys have influenced his decisions in the past.

ReputationRep:
    HEY!!!!

She thinks book 7 will be shorter than order of the phoenix!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staylor)
    HEY!!!!

She thinks book 7 will be shorter than order of the phoenix!
    :mad: It had better not be!! Hopefully she'll get carried away and make it huge!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    That would have been very un-Dumbledore though! He makes the point that it is worth giving people the benefit of the doubt. And paradoxically he was right. Malfoy couldn't hurt him. When Draco said Dumbledore was at his mercy, Dumbledore replied "It is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now" and he was right - Draco could not kill him. It might also have held a deeper significance - the mercy he showed Snape too which may or may not have been misplaced.
    But draco did hurt dumbledore. He disarmed him, and instead of trying to block it, he chose to save harry. If he had his wand he could have easily handled malfoy, and made the fight scene in hogwarts a lot better. I thought it had potential to be like the ministy fight, but she didn't really go into it that much.

ReputationRep:
    I think Dumbledore always knew he had no chance, and that presumably the otion would eventually finish him without Snapes aid (which it didnt look like he would get). Like I said somewhere else, perhaps another prophecy was involved.

I think that Harry might 'mysteriously' find Dumbledores pensieve for his entire life somewhere.

Also, my previous theory was correct - Snape did become the DADA teacher, and someone else more amenable to Harry taught potions. As you may remember, this was something I said before.

ReputationRep:
    Samatha Scattergood for Waterstones - Which is your favourite member of the Order of the Phoenix?

JK Rowling: I keep killing all my favourite members of the Order of the Phoenix, but there is one member of the Order of the Phoenix that you have not yet met properly and you will ** well, you know that they are a member, but you haven't really met them properly yet and you will meet them in seven, so I am looking forward to that.

Who could this be?

ReputationRep:
    Kingsley Shacklebolt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staylor)
    Samatha Scattergood for Waterstones - Which is your favourite member of the Order of the Phoenix?

JK Rowling: I keep killing all my favourite members of the Order of the Phoenix, but there is one member of the Order of the Phoenix that you have not yet met properly and you will ** well, you know that they are a member, but you haven't really met them properly yet and you will meet them in seven, so I am looking forward to that.

Who could this be?
    I hope it is Aberforth Dumbledore! We know that he was in the original line-up of the Order, but I'm not sure if he still is though.

Other than that, Book 5 tells me that the members we haven't got round to meeting properly yet are Sturgis Podmore, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Hestia Jones and Kingsley Shacklebolt (I'm not sure if we have met him properly or not - I suppose he is playing a bigger part now that he is working for the Prime Minister, so maybe it's him).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    More evidence to support RAB being being Regulus/Death Eater...don't foeget that only Death Eaters (according to Harry when he is taling Occulmency lessons with SS) that only Death Eaters call LV, the Dark Lord which is the name that the bit of parchment is addressed to.

Also to add to the possibility of an Unbreakable Vow between Dumbledore and Snape, maybe the existence of one is the reaon why DD trusts SS so much even till the very end...obviously DD wouldn't tell everyone that this was the reason why he trusts SS...
    Snape would have died if he had broken an unbreakable vow to dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    Something I was wondering about before - couldn't Fawkes have healed Bill's face before he left, preventing serious disfiguiration?
    I thought of that too, but I guess Fawkes left too soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    To those who believe Harry is a horcrux:

Would it not totally defy the prophecy if Harry was required to kill himself in order to kill Voldemort?
    Not really. Neither can live while the other survives. It makes perfect sense. And Harry has some of voldemort in himself. That is evident from the sorting hat's desire to put him in Slytherin and his ability to speak parseltongue. And remember, the prophesy is only what you make of it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.