Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    by "explained" I meant the dramatic tale DD promised harry. We only know that it involved the ring, surely DD would have given a more dramatic explanation than what we already know?
    Well, no I think the explanation was about Horcruxes in general rather than how he got that particular injury... And that was a pretty important part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    The fact that DD's withered hand has not been explained also gives support to my theory that DD will indeed be back!!!
    ...and I simply don't think that Harry knows the complex magic required to locate, and destroy the Horcruxes themselves. He can't do old magic for a start, like Dumbledore's muttering in a strange language that helped him locate the inner chamber within the cave.

ReputationRep:
    DD did have a ring on when he went to get Harry as Harry thought it looked ugly. Maybe he just hurt his hand getting the ring and not destroying it, when Harry destroyed the diary it wasn't particularly hard so maybe its just getting the hocrux thats difficult, not destroying it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i know this is very random, but it just occured to me....

does anyone else feel sorry for whoever the fifth gryffindor boy was when james, sirius, lupin and wormtail were there? lol, since those four were like a little group and the other one wasnt included in it

ReputationRep:
    Hey i have an important question

You know when Harry drank the Felix Felicis Potion, everything he did went right, due to luck right? and he didn't even have to drink that much.

Surely this is a flaw? Couldn't anyone,i.e Voldemort, drink it before he sets out to kill Harry or whatever?

And it isnt that difficult to make or anything is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evenstar88)

You know when Harry drank the Felix Felicis Potion, everything he did went right, due to luck right? and he didn't even have to drink that much.

Surely this is a flaw? Couldn't anyone,i.e Voldemort, drink it before he sets out to kill Harry or whatever?

It is difficult to make (we've only seen Slughorn make it and he's a very good potion-maker) plus it takes 6 months to brew.

Nevertheless, you're right. In theory all the bad guys could take the potion and presumably become near invincible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Quick question, didn't Harry discount the idea of his dad as the HBP because the book was older than it should have been for it to have been used by James? Surely the same should go for Snape seeing as he was at Hogwarts with James, Sirius, Lilly, Lupin etc... I have probably missed something here.
    I don't know whether someone's already answered this, but when I first read that bit about the publishing date, I didn't think that was an adequate reason for it not to belong to someone from Marauders-era Hogwarts. Or does no one else's school use ancient textbooks? I don't think it was explained in HBP though.

ReputationRep:
    i took the risk of opening this thread to post something, i havent finished reading yet but did anyone seem to think that JKR was portraying the Death Eaters and their actions similar to the present situations involving terrorists, everytime they talk about it i always make a connection

CR

ReputationRep:
    i have these odd feeling like we know who the fifth boy was but i cant think. Man that must have sucked. He probably commited suicide by year 7

ReputationRep:
    mmm, that's what I thought too.

ReputationRep:
    who do u think RAB is ?

who else could be smart enough to fiegure out the hidden horcruxes ?

ReputationRep:
    Regulus Black =\

ReputationRep:
    hey does anyone else think that harry might be a horcrux?????? after all, when v'mort got to him, v'mort dissapeared in the same way as he did when harry destroyed the diary............or is that a little too far-fetched???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evenstar88)

Slughorn mentions something about it begin used too often, that makes the user over-confident. I don't think luck is everything. If Voldemort did want to use it while killing Harry, he may become over-confident, or the luck may twist things the wrong way.

Remember Hermione, Ron and Ginny did drink some on the last day- but Dumbledore still died, and they still lost the battle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    i took the risk of opening this thread to post something, i havent finished reading yet but did anyone seem to think that JKR was portraying the Death Eaters and their actions similar to the present situations involving terrorists, everytime they talk about it i always make a connection

CR
    Yes, and well done her. I particularly liked the leaflet from the Ministry - "an organisation calling itself the Death Eaters".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peppermint_patt)
    hey does anyone else think that harry might be a horcrux?????? after all, when v'mort got to him, v'mort dissapeared in the same way as he did when harry destroyed the diary............or is that a little too far-fetched???
    Definitely a valid point, but a Horcrux has to be an object. It cannot be living, for in order to survive, and have personality, you need to have a soul. That is probably why it is not recommended that animals are Horcrux- they have their own soul, which may fight with the other fragment, and eventually push it out.

It's just at theory, of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)

CR
    I think it's more like Hitler's henchmen- they'll do anything for power (rather than religious esteem). They cower under one person, because under him they can gain power.

I think terrorism is more like brainwashing, both for religious and political reasons, whilst Death Eaters are more there because of their thirst for power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    actully I think it's intresting and kinda like out of the routine,plus no quditch(sp?) wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooohooooooooooooo I hate that part,that it has to be in every story,ah plus did anybody notice
    the mirror serious gave to harry wasn't even mentioned,do you think it's role is gone or it was just there in OOTP with out a perpous
    Harry broke the mirror at the end of OOTP thus taking it out of play so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    by "explained" I meant the dramatic tale DD promised harry. We only know that it involved the ring, surely DD would have given a more dramatic explanation than what we already know?
    That's what I've been thinking, unless by dramatic tale he meant the discussion of the Horcruxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    did anybody notice
    the mirror serious gave to harry wasn't even mentioned,do you think it's role is gone or it was just there in OOTP with out a perpous
    I think the purpose was to show Harry that Sirius was really dead. It's broken remember- Harry threw it when Sirius didn't appear.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.