Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Just out of interest were thestrals mentioned in Fanstastic beasts?

We didn't really see much of them in book 5 so it would be nice to have some more information.
    Just checked it out. No, it doesn't say anything about thestrals. I don't know if they will be mentioned much in the next 2 books, cos they played a pretty dectent part in the book. J K Rowling didn't use Buckbeat as much after book 3 as well.

ReputationRep:
    [i think harry potter is a waste of space!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gina17)
    [i think harry potter is a waste of space!
    Well, it seems that a lot of people on this board don't have the same views as you. Have you read the books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Have you read the books?
    Just the question I was about to ask...
    If you have read them fully then fine- tastes vary- however I sincerely hope you are not basing your hatred on the movies or (?) without having read them...

Personally I think there is plenty of space (certainly on my shelves!) for this greatly enjoyable (in my opinion) series

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Just the question I was about to ask...
    If you have read them fully then fine- tastes vary- however I sincerely hope you are not basing your hatred on the movies or (?) without having read them...

Personally I think there is plenty of space (certainly on my shelves!) for this greatly enjoyable (in my opinion) series
    Honestly, I wouldn't pay her comments a second thought. I've been finding that people who look for opportunities to bash HP books are usually the religious zealots who fear their own preconcieved notions of what the series is about.

Usually, people who have read all or any of the books that didn't like them won't give you their opinion unless you ask for it. It's the wacko extremists who burn books for fear that they'll steal your soul intent on forcing their views down your throat who tend to look for the opportunity to express their anti Potter opinion.

But again, if you've read the books, yea for you. If you haven't maybe you should try to become educated on a topic before you attempt to speak even moderately intelligently on it.

Sorry for the ranting folks! I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    good thinking...everyone's suggested Crookshanks and forgetten Mrs Norris... but what significance would it actually have on the story if either cats were kneazles? It was important that Scabbers was Peter, Lupin was a werewolf + Sirius was a dog, but i don't see how Crookshanks and Mrs Filch would come into it...

Welcome back Xenon- the thread is well and truly alive!

lou xxx
    Don't think theres any significance in the fact that he's a kneazle, it just stops him being an animagus, gives an explaination for his extraordinary intelligence.

How many birts are there here btw, I'm starting to feel a bit out numbered and left out of the last night posting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    Don't think theres any significance in the fact that he's a kneazle, it just stops him being an animagus, gives an explaination for his extraordinary intelligence.

How many birts are there here btw, I'm starting to feel a bit out numbered and left out of the last night posting!

Don't worry, I'm a Brit. I don't know how many americans there were y'day. Carrying on from the comment on hating the HP books, if the person's read the book, then fair enough. If you don't like it then you don't like it. But if you haven't then you can't really bash it till you try it, else your comment has little or no true value.

ReputationRep:
    I'm British too - just didn't translate the typo into Brit

ReputationRep:
    Ok, back to the harry potter discussion now I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Yes...but I'm curious- did I miss something that's been deleted? What did Ollie modify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Yes...but I'm curious- did I miss something that's been deleted? What did Ollie modify?
    the reason y there were so many of americans last nite was bcuz all yall are on totally different time periods 4 us.... u example, i just got out school. yea i get that alot( the i hate harry) at high school, im like have u even read it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    huh i dunno. nut i agree i dont think that both are kneazles, however they both seem 2 posess powers described in the care of the magical creatures. wut i really want her 2 make, bsides 6&7 is Hogwarts a History. Hermione references it far to much for us 2 be left out of that valuable resource.
    Peter the Great u r corect, i am from Vt, what part r u from?

Anyway, i wonder what the dursley's will do now that harry is back and they know some of the danger of having him as a ...... son.
    Hmm.... WAIT! what if volde finds about the dursley protection, and kills them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)

Anyway, i wonder what the dursley's will do now that harry is back and they know some of the danger of having him as a ...... son.
    Hmm.... WAIT! what if volde finds about the dursley protection, and kills them??
    But even if he does manage to find out about the protection, will he able to get past them?Maybe he might, and if he does, then the Dursleys will be in danger. Maybe Voldie would send out deatheaters to fetch Harry if he got past the protections. A battle at the beginning would be interesting.
    The Dursleys have no choice but to treat Harry better!

ReputationRep:
    But even if he does manage to find out about the protection, will he able to get past them?Maybe he might, and if he does, then the Dursleys will be in danger. Maybe Voldie would send out deatheaters to fetch Harry if he got past the protections. I don't reckon that J K Rowling would kill off all of the Dursleys thoug; mabe they'll go into hiding. A battle at the beginning would be interesting, with the Dursleys and Harry being rescued by Harry and the order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    But even if he does manage to find out about the protection, will he able to get past them?Maybe he might, and if he does, then the Dursleys will be in danger. Maybe Voldie would send out deatheaters to fetch Harry if he got past the protections. I don't reckon that J K Rowling would kill off all of the Dursleys thoug; mabe they'll go into hiding. A battle at the beginning would be interesting, with the Dursleys and Harry being rescued by Harry and the order.
    u kno how yall were talking about mark evans? could you tell me wut page it is on (the reference to him) in the american version. do u guys have the enligsh version bcuz ive comber through the first chapter and it doesnt say anywhere about mark evans.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    u kno how yall were talking about mark evans? could you tell me wut page it is on (the reference to him) in the american version. do u guys have the enligsh version bcuz ive comber through the first chapter and it doesnt say anywhere about mark evans.........
    I think it was when HArry was saying that they were beating him up or something, and that Dudley was picking on people much smaller and younger then him. Hmmm! I'm just checking the page reference.
    In the english version it's on pg. 17. It says
    "So who have you been beating up today? Another 10 year old? I know you did Mark Evans two nights ago-"
    It seems that the scene is set for Mark to make an entrance at Hogwarts (as he will be 11 in the next book). But exactly what role he will play and howimportant his role will be, we don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think it was when HArry was saying that they were beating him up or something, and that Dudley was picking on people much smaller and younger then him. Hmmm! I'm just checking the page reference.
    In the english version it's on pg. 17. It says
    "So who have you been beating up today? Another 10 year old? I know you did Mark Evans two nights ago-"
    It seems that the scene is set for Mark to make an entrance at Hogwarts (as he will be 11 in the next book). But exactly what role he will play and howimportant his role will be, we don't know.
    Page 13 for us americans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusFan)

Hey SF, yeah, I currently live in Barre, but am originally from southern NH. Between 96 and 2001 I was in the army and lived in Washington D.C., Arizona, Colorado and spent about two months in Budapest Hungary working as a translator.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys reckon that Fudge was just an ignorant fool, or do you think that he was working with Voldie? I wonder what did happen with Karakoff, and how Snape managed to convince Voldie of his loyalties. Also, surely we have got to hear more from the other wizarding nations. At the end of book 4, Dumbledore said that they must unite together to defeat Voldie, or something like that. Something tells me that we may hear more from some of the other wizarding schools, especially of Krum. I have a feeling that Krum has more to offer the series.

(Original post by Xenon)
    Do you guys reckon that Fudge was just an ignorant fool, or do you think that he was working with Voldie? I wonder what did happen with Karakoff, and how Snape managed to convince Voldie of his loyalties. Also, surely we have got to hear more from the other wizarding nations. At the end of book 4, Dumbledore said that they must unite together to defeat Voldie, or something like that. Something tells me that we may hear more from some of the other wizarding schools, especially of Krum. I have a feeling that Krum has more to offer the series.
    I dont think that Fudge was working with Voldermort, I think he was just a fool.
    One thing im interested in is how Snape will tread Malfoy now that his father and snape are on opposite sides.
    I also think that other schools will play a major part in the future

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.