Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    i took the risk of opening this thread to post something, i havent finished reading yet but did anyone seem to think that JKR was portraying the Death Eaters and their actions similar to the present situations involving terrorists, everytime they talk about it i always make a connection

CR
    Definitely. And Stan Shunpike is in Guantanamo Bay. It's interesting but not surprising; if you consider what has been dominating the news day in day out whilst she's been writing it was inevitable there would be some influence. Apparently during the first Gulf War the only pictures I used to draw were of tanks and military planes. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The first part of Mugglenet and TLC's interview with JKR can be found Here

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that Dumbledore's death was a little bit brushed off, or light in HBP? I know there's a funeral, but I think it was under-done.

Like in OotP, Sirius's death affects Harry like it's the end of the world, but in HBP, he's laughing during the ceremony, even though, every year it has been Dumbledore who's saved him? Isn't he worried about the future- what he'll do without Dumbledore? How he's going to find the horcruxes?

Maybe it's me just over-reacting, but the story feels empty with out old Dumbly.

ReputationRep:
    "To the Organized mind, death is but the next great asdventure." This is a very different philosophy on life than what Sirius had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nysh)
    Does anyone think that Dumbledore's death was a little bit brushed off, or light in HBP? I know there's a funeral, but I think it was under-done.

Like in OotP, Sirius's death affects Harry like it's the end of the world, but in HBP, he's laughing during the ceremony, even though, every year it has been Dumbledore who's saved him? Isn't he worried about the future- what he'll do without Dumbledore? How he's going to find the horcruxes?

Maybe it's me just over-reacting, but the story feels empty with out old Dumbly.
    I'm thinking, Harry must feel he has a purpose now to defeat Vmort for all the harm he has done to Harry's family and friends. In order todo this he has to find and destroy the horcruxes.
    I don't believe that Harry is laughing for a particular reason- he knows how much DD has contributed to the fight against evil, but now Harry has to fight for himself.
    Besides obviously Ron, Hermione and R.A.B are gonna help him find the horcruxes :cool:

ReputationRep:
    But maybe Harry wont allow Ron and Hermione to help him, after all he saw Bill's wedding as one more day he could spend with them, even after they'd made their offer.

ReputationRep:
    Ithink at the end of the book he understood that he made need some help in his next 'adventure' and this will come in the form of Ron/Hermione. Seeling them at Bill's wedding will reinforce this since he will have to meet them at least once more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nysh)

Yeah actually I was thinking that as well. Here he throwing stuff and yelling and acting like the world was ending, and at dumbledores he was more stunned than angry. Maybe it hasn't totally set in yet?

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore was a LEGEND. How will the magic world survive without him?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I totally agree. When I read it the first time, I was in total shock about DD's death, & so the funeral was a little boring for me. The second time I read it, however, I was crying my eyes out...
    All the people that think DD & Sirius is coming back: WHY??? DD did not want to die, he was destined to die once he drank the potion, so Snape killing him/muttering a counter-curse would not matter - he was still dying, soon to be dead.
    "No spell can bring back the dead" (not exact quote, from GOF). Sirius was killed. He's dead - although I have NO idea where the body is? THat will be significant - could be that the veil has something to do with how Harry defeats Voldemort (Destroys his body, all that's left is his soul??)
    Harry couldn't be a horcrux, but I think his scar is. Maybe in the final book, Voldemort tries to kill Harry, but instead ends up killing his soul, which is in his scar, leaving just the soul in Voldemort.(and Harry's scar vanishes). It's an idea (hope it hasn't been said before!). Thoughts on this theory?

ReputationRep:
    i think the book didnt focus enough on Qudditch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amlea)
    Dumbledore was a LEGEND. How will the magic world survive without him?
    So much knowledge the order/harry needed died with him. Spells, voldemort info, death eater info... My guess is that he put a lot of it in his pensieve in the event that he died the order would be able to look at his memories and get it all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    i think the book didnt focus enough on Qudditch
    that was the best thing about the book,..qudditch bores me out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nysh)

maybe something in harry had prepared him for it(although he probably didnt realsie it), dumbledore had given him so much information so maybe he has finally realised that he has everything he needs and he nedds to do it alone

ReputationRep:
    what does an excess of phlegm mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    "To the Organized mind, death is but the next great asdventure." This is a very different philosophy on life than what Sirius had.
    Well yes, but I doubt Dumbledore expected to die like this, it's not quite the organised death Nicholas Flamel had.

I've only just finished so I'm still coming up with ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well yes, but I doubt Dumbledore expected to die like this, it's not quite the organised death Nicholas Flamel had.

I've only just finished so I'm still coming up with ideas.
    Its one of those deaths which you think could have been better. I think harry is gonna deafeat voldemort not single handedly, at least that's what I think.

Harry couldn't be a horcrux, but I think his scar is. Maybe in the final book, Voldemort tries to kill Harry, but instead ends up killing his soul, which is in his scar, leaving just the soul in Voldemort.(and Harry's scar vanishes). It's an idea (hope it hasn't been said before!). Thoughts on this theory?
    a good possibility. Very good. But we want harry to be the boy who had the "scar"... He won't be Harry without the scar me thinks

ReputationRep:
    ive forgotton half the things that happensed in the preevious books shoulda read them agen before reading HBP...jus wanted to make sure..where is godrics hollow agen? and where/which book does it tell us aberforth is a barmen in a pub?

im soo sad dumbledores dead......and i really hate unfinished books!! they leave such a empty horrible feeling behind....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med1)
    ive forgotton half the things that happensed in the preevious books shoulda read them agen before reading HBP...jus wanted to make sure..where is godrics hollow agen? and where/which book does it tell us aberforth is a barmen in a pub?

im soo sad dumbledores dead......and i really hate unfinished books!! they leave such a empty horrible feeling behind....
    good point actully,I jhave a good connection with the barman dumbeldore said in the book :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so its been out for 2 days, and i figure most people will have read it by now...so the obvious thing to do was to start a discussion! So...what did you guys think? I'm gonna leave the floor open, but start by saying that i LOVED every minute of it, and think it is a genious book!!

Ill keep it short, cos i culd be here for days! Before i go i will leave a couple of starter topics:
    1) Harry and Ginny - Classy or Class-less?
    2) Ron and Hermione - Good plan/Bad Plan?
    3) Dumbledore's Death?!
    4) Evil Snape?!

That should do for now methinks ok let me know

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.