Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    oh then another thing they in the book have made alot of comments on harrys eyes,i don't think it was just like that for fun there must be a connection of some kind,btw didn't figure that my self,good lovely google
    Maybe Lilly had some special magical power (like parseltongue) assocatied with her eyes...making her eyes rememborable. Maybe Harry also pocessess this power.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Phlegm is what Ginny, amongst others, calls Fleur because she doesn't like her.

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that in Harry Potter - eyes are very important. They connote a bond of love between two people, in particular with Harry and Lily (who died to protect him with her love) - Harry has the same eyes as Lily it appears.

I also think (speculation), that Narcissa, Snape and Malfoy are not pure death-eaters. They are certainly not characterised by the earlier ruthlessness of Voldie or of DEs in general (contrast Narcissa to Bellatrix in the Spinners End chapter actually). I actually happen to think that the role of love is crucial in defeating/fighting Voldemort in the next book, and I think part of it *may* be Snape's love for Narcissa? See p40 of English version where he "did not look at Bellatrix. His black eyes were fixed upon Narcissa's tearfilled blue ones as she continued to clutch his hand...". The unbreakable vow, I think, cements an already existent bond between himself and Narcissa. Note that connotations of love (however disagreeable) prevail even in Narcissa's name - Narcissus I believe was the classical God who fell in love with his own reflection? And as Dumbledore says, Voldie cannot understand the force of love. Also I don't think Luna and Neville's roles are quite exhausted yet; "lovegood" perhaps hints at prevalence of love, anyone else notice how these two are always being paired together, and she's always described as having "dreamy eyes"? Another love-interest there?

I also think the new minister's role is not exhausted. Has anyone noticed how he is associated with having lionlike qualities (Rufus) - it made me associate him with Gryffindor house. In the next book I think we'll be seeing a bit more of "unity" - houses of Hogwarts and authority with the Order. Dumbledore kept requesting unity, and loyalty to the school throughout the past 3 books, so perhaps that's something we'll actually see in the next one? This offers an interesting line with the Horcruxes - presumably if some are artefacts of the Houses of Hogwarts - maybe some are kept secretly within the school itself? I definitely do not think we have seen the last of Hogwarts, whether school closes or not - we already know from the Horcruxes that there is at least symbolic return to the Houses of the school itself...and perhaps the final showdown will occur at Hogwarts, seeing as both Harry and Voldie have such strong ties to it?

Ah, too much now, but enough to think about I reckon?

ReputationRep:
    Just finished the book a little while back and I love it, probably my favourite out of all of them so far in fact. The ending was heartbreaking, and it was so philosophical (all the references to freedom, etc.) Really really great!

I am not completely convinced about the big theories that DD sacrificed himself to save Draco. Surely Harry would have been more important to Dumbledore than Draco was? Dumbledore would have known that Harry would be in a mess without him given that they had so much more to do, and loved him more than he loved others. It seems wrong that he would leave Harry on his own like that. But I suppose if DD knew he was going to die cos of the potion, then it wouldn't matter saving Draco and Snape on the way. Maybe he knew it when he drank it but had to lie to Harry to make sure he let him take it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a reference to her French overexaggerated approach to things I think...that gunky stuff in your throat when you wake up is phlegm...

ReputationRep:
    I cannot BELIEVE what happened! I almost cried! I feel like someone real has died!

In regard to the book itself, I agree with the Independent. It was wordy flabby and badly edited. It had no rhythm and no real concrete direction. It was far too descriptive and mundane and then all of a sudden all hell broke loose in the last couple of chapters. I think book 5 was FAR better.

ReputationRep:
    I had to lock my book in my safe today because I really needed to update my site and my eyes kept drifting to the book.

ReputationRep:
    yeah book five took it's time mmm maybe as it was a bit longer,hmm did it occure to anybody that the mirror sirius gave to harry might be a horcrux so thats why he told harry to use it,plus sirius wasn't like totaly honest or something he had some kinda dark side well npot voldish but certainly he was the ,loving goodie goodie but who he have killed??! hmm just a theory

ReputationRep:
    one more thing what was the potion why dumbeldore was screaming saying no to what what was he dreaming about???hmmmm*thinks*:d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    one more thing what was the potion why dumbeldore was screaming saying no to what what was he dreaming about???hmmmm*thinks*:d
    His body's involuntary reaction to pain? :hmmmm2:

Or maybe he was seeing the future or something bizarre like that. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    OK I have a rather strange theory, but here goes. I think Bellatrix Lestrange has been given a Horcrux to protect. I was drawn to this idea after reading a particular line in "Spinners End." Bellatrix responds angrily to something that one of the others has said by saying, (I'm trying to get the quote as accurate as I can because I haven't got the text with me at the mo) "How dare you, the Dark Lord who has trusted me with his most precious - if Lucius hadn't - " Firstly, her use of precious is particularly interesting as she doesn't complete that part of her sentence. It suggests that she is refering to an object rather than something abstract eg a precious secret, doesn't seem right. Also Dumbledore uses the same word - "precious" to describe LV's soul - a symbolic repetition I think. Also, the "if Lucius hadn't - " part is also very interesting. Like the other characters I also though that she was referring to the fiasco in the Ministry, but she could very well have been remembering that he was partly responsible for the description of one Horcrux - Riddle's diary. It seems quite possible that LV gave Bellatrix a Horcrux to protect. She (I might be mistaken here) is the only female Death Eater and has an unsverving loyalty to LV. Also, I have always felt that there was more to the Bellatrix/Voldemort relationship than what meets the eye. I think that if he could ever get really close to a woman - it would be she.

So what do you guys think?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    OK I have a rather strange theory, but here goes. I think Bellatrix Lestrange has been given a Horcrux to protect. I was drawn to this idea after reading a particular line in "Spinners End." Bellatrix responds angrily to something that one of the others has said by saying, (I'm trying to get the quote as accurate as I can because I haven't got the text with me at the mo) "How dare you, the Dark Lord who has trusted me with his most precious - if Lucius hadn't - " Firstly, her use of precious is particularly interesting as she doesn't complete that part of her sentence. It suggests that she is refering to an object rather than something abstract eg a precious secret, doesn't seem right. Also Dumbledore uses the same word - "precious" to describe LV's soul - a symbolic repetition I think. Also, the "if Lucius hadn't - " part is also very interesting. Like the other characters I also though that she was referring to the fiasco in the Ministry, but she could very well have been remembering that he was partly responsible for the description of one Horcrux - Riddle's diary. It seems quite possible that LV gave Bellatrix a Horcrux to protect. She (I might be mistaken here) is the only female Death Eater and has an unsverving loyalty to LV. Also, I have always felt that there was more to the Bellatrix/Voldemort relationship than what meets the eye. I think that if he could ever get really close to a woman - it would be she.

I'm not sure. The reason being that LV wouldn't entrust someone with a horcrux, thought he did with Lucius, LV didn't tell Lucius that it was a horcrux and it's purpose. So if Bellatrix had one to protect, bella wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    ok so what does the chapter name-the secret riddle- mean? i have an idea

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got confused on that one too.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this book wont take as long to complete as although shes got a young family, she now knows what has got to go into book and what happens as its the last one.

Also, doubt Snape loved Lilly as he called her a mudblood which isn't just flirty insults.

Maybe Bellatrix could have a hocrux and knows it is one, maybe the locket, could Kreacher have taken it to her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    Hopefully this book wont take as long to complete as although shes got a young family, she now knows what has got to go into book and what happens as its the last one.

Also, doubt Snape loved Lilly as he called her a mudblood which isn't just flirty insults.

Maybe Bellatrix could have a hocrux and knows it is one, maybe the locket, could Kreacher have taken it to her?
    i think snape used to call lily a mudblood cos james used to ridicule her - for his defence,
    im not to worried about the horcruxes, but boy was i peeved when i realised that DD and harry had gone for a lost cause.

also somethig i just remembered last night - NO FAWKES :bawling: :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Fawkes may be in it. He's not dead, mnaybe DD will have left him to Harry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Or maybe he was seeing the future or something bizarre like that. :eek:
    Hmm, Now that is an interesting thought. Where did this Potion come from? Surely If Whoever took the locket first time would of drank whatever was there nad replaced it, Does this mean the potion refilled its self? But from what Dumbledore is saying could be some future glimpse or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)

I'm not so sure really. I think Voldemort would rather his Horcruxs be protecrted my magical spells and that. The diary was much more powerful as it could actually bring back his younger self and could be used in a future "plot", so thats why it was left to Lucius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I'm not so sure really. I think Voldemort would rather his Horcruxs be protecrted my magical spells and that. The diary was much more powerful as it could actually bring back his younger self and could be used in a future "plot", so thats why it was left to Lucius
    I kind of agree with Minimo on this one. I think Lucius was given the Horcrux to protect, but was just selfishly using it for his own means. I don't think he knew that it was a Horcrux, just that it could be used to reopen the Chamber.

But on the other hand Voldemort doesn't seem the sort to trust people (who can make mistakes/decisions etc) with a part of his soul (note all the referenced to loneliness throughout the book)

Ok, completely pointless post, I just sat on the fence there!!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.