Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate Harry Potter Discussion thread ***including Book 6 Spoilers*** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My friend came up with quite a good theory, which I on;y have one problem with believing.

She reckons It wasn't really Dumbledore the whole way through, it was actually Wormtail. The whole way through he doesn't seen quite right, the withered arm (maybe Wormtail's silver arm wouldn't change effectively), and his behaviour when he drank the potion seemed more fitting to Wormtail.

My main problem with this theory is that its been done before, it just seems a bit too much like the Moody/Crouch thing. Hmmmm. Anyway, just thinking out loud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    My friend came up with quite a good theory, which I on;y have one problem with believing.

She reckons It wasn't really Dumbledore the whole way through, it was actually Wormtail. The whole way through he doesn't seen quite right, the withered arm (maybe Wormtail's silver arm wouldn't change effectively), and his behaviour when he drank the potion seemed more fitting to Wormtail.

My main problem with this theory is that its been done before, it just seems a bit too much like the Moody/Crouch thing. Hmmmm. Anyway, just thinking out loud
    Actully I concidered this the whole time,since the first time harry noticed dumbeldores black hand,but infact if it was so,why would dumbeldore/wormtail show harry all of these memories,his own memory how did he get it,why didn't he steal gryffindore's(sp?) sword,why didn't he let in the deatheaters,why didn't he turn into wormtail why was he scared that harry might die,why did he immobalize him,it's like he inlightened him to stuff that might defeat voldemort,more than help him :confused: so I thought that it's unlikely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    Actully I concidered this the whole time,since the first time harry noticed dumbeldores black hand,but infact if it was so,why would dumbeldore/wormtail show harry all of these memories,his own memory how did he get it,why didn't he steal gryffindore's(sp?) sword,why didn't he let in the deatheaters,why didn't he turn into wormtail why was he scared that harry might die,why did he immobalize him,it's like he inlightened him to stuff that might defeat voldemort,more than help him :confused: so I thought that it's unlikely
    Wormtail owes Harry his life<period>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Wormtail owes Harry his life<period>
    yeah but he helped him,he seemed wiser than wormtail would be and also he showed harry dumbeldore's past,memory,was sitting in his chair...that is unlikely to be wormtail :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    My friend came up with quite a good theory, which I on;y have one problem with believing...
    Even assuming Wormtail could do the kind of magic Dumbledore could, while taking Polyjuice all year, and keeping Dumbledore somewher close enough to pump for information, there are several problems.
    1/ Once DD/Wormtail is dead, no more polyjuice. Which means that body will assume its true form within the hour. i.e. before the funeral
    2/ Fawkes would have known.
    3/ The portrait wouldn't have come up properly I think.

ReputationRep:
    Up to around page 400-ish, I thought I could see an obvious part of the plot, and it wasn't one at all - It was probably made so obvious deliberately so as to be a red herring.
    When they debate Draco smuggling something 'dark' into school, but he couldn't because Filch was searching them all, it seemed obvious to me that Draco would somehow have smuggled something in on Harry, after the incident on the train - Harry, after all, was the only one that wasn't searched... he came in with Snape. This doesn't explain how Draco would get back off Harry what he needed when in the castle, but it could have happened when harry held him in his arms (or whatever it was) after the 'sectumsempra' nearly left him for dead. Surprised to see that this storyline didn't unfold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immortal Wombat)
    Even assuming Wormtail could do the kind of magic Dumbledore could, while taking Polyjuice all year, and keeping Dumbledore somewher close enough to pump for information, there are several problems.
    1/ Once DD/Wormtail is dead, no more polyjuice. Which means that body will assume its true form within the hour. i.e. before the funeral
    2/ Fawkes would have known.
    3/ The portrait wouldn't have come up properly I think.
    She did have explanations for all of those points (which I can't for the life of me remember, I'll get her to run me through it again!!), it was very well thought out, I'm just not convinced because its been done bfore

ReputationRep:
    Right either I've missed some of the plot but I have a few questions or thoughts about Harry Potter books...

Why did Dumbledore trust Snape so much? Was his death somehow planned/faked? Why was Dumbledore the only person EVER to plead for his life before he was killed, could this be a ploy to make readers believe he is really dead? OK may be gripping at straws but I can't bear Dumbledore to be gone forever...and I still don't think Snape is a death eater. Will Dumbledore come back on the wall of his old office, joining all the previous headmasters, in a picture, so he will still appear in the 7th book? Why do we not know about Harry other relatives, for example his grandparents must be magical? What is the significance of Harry having his mothers eyes? What was Harry's parents profession? Did it have anything to do with Voldemort killing them? Why did Sirius die, it still seems a bit random at the moment, he died but there was not reason other than JK killing someone off, there must be an underlying reason, maybe coming clear in book 7? What happened to Wormtail? What is Snape’s patronus and if shown a boggart what would he be most afraid of? Is there anything more as to why Snape and Sirius/James hate eachother? A simple ‘more the fact he exists’ from James about why Snape annoys him has to be found out. Will Ron and Hermione ever get together properly? What happened to Sirius motorbike?! Is there a wizarding University...i.e. more books?

Errrm think I'll leave it there, have loads more questions, but don't want to scare people with too many! Any thoughts would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Also, with the potion in the cave... why when they had the potion in the cup (just before they drank it), why didn't they try to tip it out on the floor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    Also, with the potion in the cave... why when they had the potion in the cup (just before they drank it), why didn't they try to tip it out on the floor?
    because the only way to empty it was to drink it, I should imagine it would have just refilled if it had been tipped out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    Right either I've missed some of the plot but I have a few questions or thoughts about Harry Potter books...

Why did Dumbledore trust Snape so much? Was his death somehow planned/faked? Why was Dumbledore the only person EVER to plead for his life before he was killed, could this be a ploy to make readers believe he is really dead? OK may be gripping at straws but I can't bear Dumbledore to be gone forever...and I still don't think Snape is a death eater. Will Dumbledore come back on the wall of his old office, joining all the previous headmasters, in a picture, so he will still appear in the 7th book? Why do we not know about Harry other relatives, for example his grandparents must be magical? What is the significance of Harry having his mothers eyes? What was Harry's parents profession? Did it have anything to do with Voldemort killing them? Why did Sirius die, it still seems a bit random at the moment, he died but there was not reason other than JK killing someone off, there must be an underlying reason, maybe coming clear in book 7? What happened to Wormtail? What is Snape’s patronus and if shown a boggart what would he be most afraid of? Is there anything more as to why Snape and Sirius/James hate eachother? A simple ‘more the fact he exists’ from James about why Snape annoys him has to be found out. Will Ron and Hermione ever get together properly? What happened to Sirius motorbike?! Is there a wizarding University...i.e. more books?

Errrm think I'll leave it there, have loads more questions, but don't want to scare people with too many! Any thoughts would be appreciated

That is a lot of questions and I don't think I really have proper answers for any of them. About his parents though - we know nothing about his fathers family so I think that might come out in book 7 (the last one - sob!) which would link to your idea about his grandparents.
    As for Dumbledore not really being dead I'd love you to be right but I think the phoenixs lament proves he is. It does say at the end though that is picture had appeared on the heads office wall so he might still have a few words to say!
    I have no idea what happened to wormtail, the motorbike or why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much. I think there might be more about all (particularly the last one) in the next book.
    The books are supposed to finish at 7 but I hope that JK will decide to do a "What Harry Did" type thing in a few years.
    While we're asking questions - do you really think that Harry won't go back? And if so what will the next book be like? I know he said he was going off to find the horcruxes but that sounds like the adventure that usually comes at the end of the books rather than the whole plot. What do you think?

x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig)
    ok so what does the chapter name-the secret riddle- mean? i have an idea
    Riddle being Tom Riddle (aka Voldemort) the secret being the things they didn't know about him that Harry and Dumbledore were trying to find out about him. Thats what I thought anyway!!
    x x

ReputationRep:
    if the horcrux that harry and DD went to find was so hard to find, and DD sed magic that was so advanced, and yet fail to find the real horcrux, how will Harry possibly be able to find the rest on his own!

and also, was the death eater who had taken the real horcrux on voldermorts side, he couldn't have been i think, for the reason he was saying that he was going to destroy it as soon as he could, which is surely not what voldermort would have wanted. but then, i don't see why he would have left the message, with his initials on it.

can anyone explain, or have i missed something?!

ReputationRep:
    Was anyone else incredibly touched (and somewhat scared) by Dumbledore's line "I am not scared, Harry. I am with you." just before they return to Hogwarts? Talk about reversal of the roles - Harry has always had ultimate faith that Dumbledore will protect him and now it is Dumbledore relying on Harry - that above many other things, showed his weakness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazzie)
    if the horcrux that harry and DD went to find was so hard to find, and DD sed magic that was so advanced, and yet fail to find the real horcrux, how will Harry possibly be able to find the rest on his own!

and also, was the death eater who had taken the real horcrux on voldermorts side, he couldn't have been i think, for the reason he was saying that he was going to destroy it as soon as he could, which is surely not what voldermort would have wanted. but then, i don't see why he would have left the message, with his initials on it.

can anyone explain, or have i missed something?!
    I reckon he'll get a hell of a lot of help along the way, it'd be really dull otherwise.

The note implied that R.A.B. know they were going to die anyway, leaving the initials wouldn't have changed anything, he would still have died.

So next question, JKR said that Lily didn't need to have died, and Voldemort wouldn't have killed her if she'd stepped aside. Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Was anyone else incredibly touched (and somewhat scared) by Dumbledore's line "I am not scared, Harry. I am with you." just before they return to Hogwarts? Talk about reversal of the roles - Harry has always had ultimate faith that Dumbledore will protect him and now it is Dumbledore relying on Harry - that above many other things, showed his weakness.
    yeah i felt that too. dumbledore told harry of his significance and made harry do a lot of things himself. i think dumbledore kinda took on a fatherly role to harry and may have known that he was gonna die, so harru had to look after himself.
    when harry said 'dumbledores man through and throgh' (or sommer like that) dumbledore got really chuffed i think dumbledore will return somehow or other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    So next question, JKR said that Lily didn't need to have died, and Voldemort wouldn't have killed her if she'd stepped aside. Why?
    LV didn't care about her, he just wanted to kill Harry to fulfill the prophecy...

ReputationRep:
    My friend just suggested that the reason Dumbledore trusted Snape so much is cos he told him about the unbreakable vow and when he was pleading for his life it was to protect Snape. It would make sense cos it explains why he pleaded for his life and fits in with Dumbledore thinking the best of all his students. I don't know why he wouldn't have explained to Harry though.

ReputationRep:
    I think Ginny is one of the horcruxes. JK said the chamber of secrets had some very vital info on the plot for book 6. Pg 228 Tom Riddle says "to start feeding Miss Weasly a few of my secrets to start pouring a little of my soul back into her". I think her deliberate use of the word soul is a big hint and that voldys soul could have been transfered from the book to Ginny. Also that it is an object inside Ginny Like in Hans Christian Andersons The Snow Queen when koi has the shard of glass in his eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greendaygirl)
    I think Ginny is one of the horcruxes. JK said the chamber of secrets had some very vital info on the plot for book 6. Pg 228 Tom Riddle says "to start feeding Miss Weasly a few of my secrets to start pouring a little of my soul back into her". I think her deliberate use of the word soul is a big hint and that voldys soul could have been transfered from the book to Ginny. Also that it is an object inside Ginny Like in Hans Christian Andersons The Snow Queen when koi has the shard of glass in his eye.
    Oh taht would be too tragic even for JKR... having to destroy the girl he loves would be horrible.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.